Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2022, 05:03 AM   #1
shorthaul

Water and Electric protection

I want to start by saying thank you to everyone that has contributed to my previous post(s). We are still figuring out this RVing lifestyle with an eye to full-timing upon retirement (still a few years away). My questions are regarding the water pressure regulator and surge protection . . . Looking for recommendations on brands and features to consider for a surge protector when plugged into 30amp campsite power. Also, bought our camper used and the previous owner included a water gauge but how can I tell if it is just a gauge or also a regulator to maintain/prevent pressure surges? Any recommendations along those lines are more than welcome as well. We really do appreciate all the help everyone is providing as we journey through this adventure! So glad we joined!
shorthaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
I want to start by saying thank you to everyone that has contributed to my previous post(s). We are still figuring out this RVing lifestyle with an eye to full-timing upon retirement (still a few years away). My questions are regarding the water pressure regulator and surge protection . . . Looking for recommendations on brands and features to consider for a surge protector when plugged into 30amp campsite power. Also, bought our camper used and the previous owner included a water gauge but how can I tell if it is just a gauge or also a regulator to maintain/prevent pressure surges? Any recommendations along those lines are more than welcome as well. We really do appreciate all the help everyone is providing as we journey through this adventure! So glad we joined!
You will want an 'Electrical Management System' (EMS), not just a surge protector. An EMS will provide much better protection, including shutting off power prior to it getting to your trailer, should an electrical issue be detected. There are a few go-to companies for these. Here is one that is very popular and is used by many. The link I provided is for the unit that plugs in directly to the campground power pedestal. Hard-wired versions, that are installed directly inside your trailer, are also available.

A water pressure regulator will be adjustable and is what you will want. A restrictor, on the other hand, is pre-set to a certain PSI level and cannot be changed.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:54 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
First bit of advice considering the Red River Showdown is next week... HOOK 'EM HORNS seeing your are from that place north of Texas. Second, since you are considering full timing and that camper you bought may not be the one you eventually settle on (you may want more room, storage and 50A for two air conditioners), the Progressive 30A EMS suggested is likely a great choice. That is the one I use for my camper. I am not a Camping World guy but they do have a great price on that unit right now:

https://www.campingworld.com/progres...8l-102484.html

If you have some gizmo that might adjust pressure but doesn't have some way to adjust it you can see, it likely has a fixed max pressure which it allows and may not be the ticket if you camp somewhere with really high pressure. Get one you can adjust (not necessarily this one but still adjustable):

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...tor-49511.html
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #4
bsmith0404

The progressive industries is a good EMS. Personally, I prefer the hard wired type, but they’re about double or triple the price. As mentioned, if you know this is the rv for the future for you, go hard wired. If not, save some money and get a plug in type. I probably wouldn’t spend the money on a hard wired for a 30A trailer since most you would upgrade to are going to be 50A.

Although the adjustable regulators are nice/preferred, the most important thing is that you regulate the water pressure entering your rv to around 50 psi. If you see the gauge reading well above that, change it out. I doubt it’s just a gauge and not a regulator. Wouldn’t be much point of having that.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "difference between a pressure regultor and a pressure restrictor"...

Here's photos of both. You want the first one, the adjustable pressure regulator. I'd guess that what the previous owner included is the non-adjustable pressure restrictor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	41842   Click image for larger version

Name:	water pressure restrictor.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	41843  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
hawghauler

These guys pretty much covered it

My 2 cents on the ems is you cant lose a hardwired setup it's much tougher to steal as well
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
travelin texans

Just FYI! The adjustable regular is what you want. They typically come preset at 50-55 psi which is a good safe pressure for your rv. Adjustments are not necessary though, if the pressure is above the preset the regulator will keep it at its preset pressure, if it's less it will do nothing to increase the pressure but won't restrict the flow either. If the faucet pressure is extremely low, some places are 30-35 psi, fill your fresh water tank & use your onboard pump, they are typically rated at 40-45 psi.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water