Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
flugelboneman

Key TV Box

Some of you have probably read my previous pleas for help with Key TV. When I purchased our 27RES as second owners, I discovered that the cables that hook into the Key TV box had been disconnected. I could not discover the reason for this as I did not have contact with previous owner and local Cougar Dealerships were not helpful. I had bypassed the box to hook cable directly. I wanted to restore this box to operating condition, so now knowing why the cables had been disconnected, I reconnected them. I had cable reception briefly but it soon lost the signal. I could not discover the reason for this so contacted Shaw Cable or local supplier. They showed up at the RV with no less than four techs, apparently fascinated by my tale of woe. Bottom Line? The 2019 Key TV box is not compatable with recent technology changes in the cable industry. They hooked my cable coax directly to the cable leading into the coach and cable was restored. They recommended that I NOT run my cable Tv through the Key TV box. Now I understand why it had been disconnected prior to our purchase of the unit. Very disappointing that such potential organizing of incoming TV was not applicable or recommended. So it any of you are having similar probs, perhaps this solution might help.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

If you were a sport you would have had the camera out while the technology team dove into the KEY TV mystery box. It would have been amusing and would also have been helpful to fid out why the box isn't compatible with their cable TV. I am glad I can't afford any tech newer than 20 years old as I understand my sound and video in my old Cougar as it is LOW tech which is suitable for an old guy like me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:19 PM   #3
flugelboneman

There wasnt much to film. They tried the TV wired thru the Key TV. It would not accept a signal, so they bypassed it and there was the signal. I was disappointed because I had the whole thing all back together and I thought "Bob's Your Uncle". Except that there was no cable signal. Bypass the Key TV and the signal was there strong as can be. The tecks reponse? Dump the Key TV box.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Most of the electronic tech that Keystone has pushed into the newer campers seems to be a step back to the stone age. Maybe someone more tech savvy can suggest a way to get the Key TV box to function. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I figure you Key TV box is bad. The cable company techs know nothing about Key TV, well, I don't know that Keystone does either BUT the modules have a very high failure rate. When they replaced mine under warranty the service manager said (memory....) something like 65% of them were faulty and about the same number of the replacements were faulty. The module not passing the signal would be indicative of a failure. Not sure why the previous owner didn't have it replaced under warranty (if he was the original owner).

All that said, IF you are only interested in using cable TV forget the box - it was a cost cutting measure employed by Keystone and pushed as an "innovation". If you are trying to use satellite and/or cable tv then the module would be beneficial....if it worked. They replaced mine, it worked when they/we tested it and it's never been used again since I don't watch cable TV or satellite. If for some reason I do decide to use one of them and it fails I will pull that module, put it in the trash then make me a new faceplate so I can connect the cable straight to the RV coax I need as you have done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:14 AM   #6
RickV

Not sure if it is always the box. On the old 5ver there wasn't a box just the Satellite/Cable connections. I had DirecTV and carried the big dish it would work at one site and when I got to the next one it wouldn't, drive to the next site and it would work again. All I could come up with was that the coax cable run had to not be one complete run and that there had to be barrel connector or something like that and that the connection was slightly loose and bouncing down the road would make or break the connection. I solved the problem by putting a connection like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 through the wall near where the TV was and ran a cable from it to the Satellite receiver, problem solved. Fast forward to last year we leave home in Florida Mid-May with the Alpine make it as far as Tom Sawyer's CG in West Memphis and the same thing started happening again so I just did the same thing again, problem solved again. We currently have Dish but, when we get home at the end of this month we are thinking of dropping it and going with YouTubeTV or Hulu Live and just streaming. I will pickup a coax splitter and setup the connection I made to use cable in case we stay at a CG that has Cable TV.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
markcee

Interesting about the incompatibility.

While I've haven't experienced any KeyTV issues since I found and corrected my own mis-wiring problem, I think I will pick up a female-to-female coax connector to keep on hand should I need to direct connect the coax from the pedestal to the coax going to my TV.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #8
roadglide

My tv reception quit right after using Ruku satellite tv using a key card . I doubt the Ruku system corrupted the vhf box .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
flugelboneman

Key tv

Thx for all ur good comments. Love the coach. Key tv has been only downer. I was pleased to get eval frm no less than 3 techs on site. I see no point in struggling with a system that is not highly regarded by 3 experts in yhe field. Its a disappointment for sure.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
jasin1

The key tv prototype probably worked great and is still performing flawlessly somewhere deep in the keystone factory but like everything else most company’s do they likely took the lowest bid from somewhere in china to mass produce the production model
Old 10-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #11
flugelboneman

Key tv

Thx for all ur good comments. Love the coach. Key tv has been only downer. I was pleased to get eval frm no less than 3 techs on site. I see no point in struggling with a system that is not highly regarded by 3 experts in yhe field. Its a disappointment for sure.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #12
Lmgsnyder

Having KeyTv problems with my 2019 Avalanche since basically first year. replaced keytv box but that didnt work. I know you were talking about cable but wondering if your antenna worked? We get almost nil in over the air but neighbors can get 30+. cable and satellite dont work thru our box either so gave up trying. Use an external antenna sitting in the back window and get get alot more stations. going back to dealer soon to give them one more try to figure it out. Of course Keystone in not warrantying any of this.
Lmgsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
flugelboneman

As I mentioned, after the whole set up was examined by 3 cable techs, they suggested I bypass the KeyTV box, plug my coax directly into the incoming cable when I am hooked up to cable TV post. I wish I had asked them about the Antenna. However when I had everything running through the KeyTV box, the antenna booster was on. I am sorry I did not try the antenna at the time. Now that I am disconnected from the box, I am not sure how I can access the antenna. I am toying with contacting keystone and asking for either help or a new KeyTV box
Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
flugelboneman

BTW my incoming cable worked fine after I disconnected from the KeytV BOX.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
flugelboneman

I just had an offer from the local Cougar dealer to replace my KeyTV module with a brand new one. I am somewhat skeptical after hearing the issues about even the new ones on this forum. Appreciate any input.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

What is the "offer"? Give you one for free? Sure. Pay for it?.....? Install it/pay for it????

My thought would be why you want the KeyTV module since you have everything working as you want...I suppose?
Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
BTW my incoming cable worked fine after I disconnected from the KeytV BOX.
Here is your answer to Quote #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
I just had an offer from the local Cougar dealer to replace my KeyTV module with a brand new one. I am somewhat skeptical after hearing the issues about even the new ones on this forum. Appreciate any input.
I know it is frustrating to the point of getting angry that you buy something and you expect it to work. I gave up on KeyTV after about 3 months of messing with it. Everything that was connected to it is by-passed. Like Danny said if they'll replace it for free maybe consider it but, I would only do that if you are taking it in for other issues, wasting time and money (Fuel) on something that will probably malfunction again is counter productive. JMHO.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #18
flugelboneman

Thx Rick, for your insightful and helpful comment. I believe you are correct. I am thinking that getting a new KeyTV module is unlikely to help, as they have not improved the technology, so I am told. I just find it frustrating to have to set aside the module, having sitting in the compartment inactive, and hooking directly into the TV with the coax cable. We do not use the satellite connect, rarely use our antenna. All in all, a sad commentary on Keystone's attempt to solve the real prob of TV hookups in RV's.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:55 AM   #19
flugelboneman

Thx Dan, good advice which I will follow
Old 10-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Ian keep in mind that the only purpose of the Key TV box is to let you use either satellite or catv over the same cable. The purpose as I was told was to eliminate the cost of cables for both satellite and TV signals. If you don't use satellite a dedicated connection to the cable you are using with your cable will eliminate the box. It does however also eliminate your antenna from what I can tell. I don't use any of it other than park cable...rarely. It's probably a 50/50 chance (maybe better nowadays) that a new module will work. Mine did when it was replaced but I've never used it since because I have a straight run to my TV location bypassing it now. If it did work it might give you options that you would be able to use but only you would know that. Good luck in getting it sorted.