Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2022, 05:40 AM   #21
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
If you pull the insert molding off, be prepared to replace it with new (any RV parts store sells that stuff in 100 foot rolls, not expensive at all). When you remove it, you'll find it's very brittle and it will crack and break apart. You'll never be able to get it back into the track without breaking it. It's too old and dried out.
Yea, I plan to replace the white vinyl insert when I remove it. Thanks. I just seen it at the RV store yesterday.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by derowe82 View Post
Yea, I plan to replace the white vinyl insert when I remove it. Thanks. I just seen it at the RV store yesterday.
When you pull the old trim strip out of the molding, you'll notice either a small square aluminum cap over the end of the vinyl trim or a screw "through the doubled over vinyl". When you replace the vinyl, DO NOT PULL IT TIGHT !!!! It will "shrink some with the sunlight" so it will almost always be shorter than you cut it after a couple of days... That cap or the screw is "vital" to keeping it from shrinking 3 or 4 inches from the time you first install it and a week later, when you notice how short it is .....

So, make sure NOT to pull it any, at all, as you install it in the molding. And fold over the end, tuck it under the vinyl and run a screw through the end to hold it in place. If there's a square end cap, it will have a screw that both holds the cap in place and anchors the vinyl trim.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:41 AM   #23
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you pull the old trim strip out of the molding, you'll notice either a small square aluminum cap over the end of the vinyl trim or a screw "through the doubled over vinyl". When you replace the vinyl, DO NOT PULL IT TIGHT !!!! It will "shrink some with the sunlight" so it will almost always be shorter than you cut it after a couple of days... That cap or the screw is "vital" to keeping it from shrinking 3 or 4 inches from the time you first install it and a week later, when you notice how short it is .....

So, make sure NOT to pull it any, at all, as you install it in the molding. And fold over the end, tuck it under the vinyl and run a screw through the end to hold it in place. If there's a square end cap, it will have a screw that both holds the cap in place and anchors the vinyl trim.
Perfect, thanks. Yea I noticed that shrinking with my snowmobile trailer. I put on piece on to replace another and it is now WAY to short and has to be replaced again. I was shocked how much it shrunk.

Thanks.

Tags
roof, windows