Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
LHaven

Personal battery load tester?

I see a lot of auto battery load testers on Amazon with pretty affordable prices. I not only have to deal with my RV batteries, but have a slew of larger gel cells that run my ranch gates, security system, and a dozen or more UPSes on other critical systems. I was considering that for only around the price of two of the gel cells I typically deal with, it might be cost-effective to get my own load tester so I could perform definitive go/nogos on all my batteries as I need to.

Many of the units talk about testing cranking power. Unlike a car battery, none of the batteries I'm likely to test ever have to do any cranking. So what other stress tests does a handheld need to be able to perform, and does anybody have any specific recommendations for favorite home units?
Old 08-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have and the shop has a “load tester”. Mine is 500A “carbon pile”. You hook the leads to the battery and it reads the voltage. Then you hold the momentary switch and it puts a heavy load on the battery. After a set time you let go and check the meter for voltage.

I have seen batteries show 12.7VDC and after the load test show only 10VDC. If you use 6/12 volt batteries it should work. Mine is from harbor freight, there are more extensive/expensive ones.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #3
LHaven

Looks like HF no longer offers a 500A one, but does have a 100A model for $20, which is WAY cheaper than the ones I was looking at, as long as it will do the job.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:38 AM   #4
locomech

I use a Konnwei KW208 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/KONNWEI-100-2...33&sr=8-6&th=1

It found my 8 yr. old camper battery needed to be replaced, jeez nothing ever lasts, and a battery in my son's car was going bad. Over all a nice inexpensive item that doesn't take up a lot of room in the tool box.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery