Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Ciliaxfam

Auto Transfer switch on Montana 3231ck legacy?

The legacy package adds an inverter for the refrigerator and 6 outlets (as a separately powered circuit). Is there an ATS post the inverter that mergers with the power line coming from the 120v control panel. The 120v control panel has a breaker labeled inverter. I know the inverter gets DC power so does not need ac power. So, i am guessing the line from the breaker goes to an ATS with the inverter output. I have not checked which is considered master/slave.
Ciliaxfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
BigBobIa

The inverter has both ac and dc inputs. If there is 120 ac it passes it along and ignores the 12 dc. If the 120 drops or is not there the 12v is converted to 120v and passed on.

So if there is shore/generator power the batteries stay charged.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
dutchmensport

First off, welcome to the forums!

Your description is confusing to me. Here's a simple diagram of how the transfer switch is wired. Yours may be slightly different as the Montana Legacy trailers have a few more bells and whistles than the High Country. But the principle is still the same.

As BibBobIa stated above, your transfer switch receives power from two sources: Shore power AC and the battery. Under normal conditions, when plugged into shore power, the AC power passes through the transfer switch. When shore power is disconnected, the transfer switch will flip it's source to the battery. But, before that, that power source has already passed through your inverter.

Study out this diagram, it should help you.

Also... welcome to the forums and I hope you are enjoying that Montana! You may also want to join the Montana Owners Club Forums. Between the Keystone Forum with a wealth of information about Keystone products in general, and the Montana forum that is specific for us Montana owners, you have a massive wealth of information and resources available to you.

Again, welcome to the forums!
Old 08-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #4
Ciliaxfam

Thanks for the response. Nice diagram - clearly shows what I was trying to say. I assumed there must be a transfer switch. Interesting thing is the breaker label states "inverter" not transfer switch. I plan on tracing the power lines to find the transfer switch. Your picture shows a CSW TS-15. Do you know if that is what Keystone uses?
Old 08-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #5
M&M2

You didn’t state what year. On 2021 3231 CK that I have had a Progressive Dynamics PD52DCSD ATS. I have Super Solar so all circuits/inverter is post the ATS.

The ATS in that configuration transfers between shore power and generator power.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #6
Ciliaxfam

Keystone removed the generator prep on the 2022 Montana 3231CK, Legacy option. I have the 200i solar flex option with an inverter for the residential refrigerator and six outlets. As shown on diagram above it appears an ATS located after the inverter merges/selects the appropriate power supply for the refrigerator circuity. How did you determine your ATS model/ID?
Old 08-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
M&M2

Model was on the face of the ATS. On my unit the generator prep was also removed. No wires were connected on the generator side of the ATS. With no need for transfer I removed it and installed in its place the Hughes Power Watchdog w/EPO.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:42 PM   #8
davet357

I have a 2019 Montana 3120RL with one solar panel installed. I have the Magnum Dimension CSW-TS20 transfer switch that plugs into the 3000w inverter. My solar has never worked and when I opened up the panel I saw the the TS-20 was connected only to itself. Both the In and Out cables were connected forming a loop and the transfer switch not to work. Inside the basement panel I also found 2 molex connectors also plugged into each other. The two connections inside the basement compartment are both yellow wires and I'm not sure which is which, in or out, so I'm not sure how to connect the transfer switch to the molex connectors inside RV.
Nothing is labeled to indicate which is in and which is out so I'm trying to see if there is a way I can figure that out so I don't plug the connections from the transfer switch to the wrong connections in the basement.
Montana says the connectors are different and only plug in one way but to me the connections are identical and both connectors can plug in to either of the two other connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inventer.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	44949   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Inside Wall Connectors-2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	44950  
davet357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
LHaven

If you separate the molex connectors in the middle, one should be M, one F, no?
Old 08-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #10
davet357

Thanks for the reply.
I thought one would be male and the other female too but all 4 connectors look identical to me. I might be missing something but they look identical to me.

What I'm going to do is take my meter and for the two connectors inside the RV, one side should have power and the other should not have power. The cable inside the RV that has power should be the In connector and the other connection that has no power should be the Out connector.
davet357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana