Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #1
TheDominator

Getting shocked when touching body

Hello everyone!

I have owned my 2006 Keystone Outback 21RS since July 2020 so this is my 3rd summer with it. This year and friend of mine mentioned that everytime she touches the door it feels tingly kinda like a electrical shock. After hearing that I tried myself and felt nothing. Then a family memeber mentioned that she was wearing flats and I was wearing sneakers. So my sneakers have rubber and hers dont. So I put my hand on the door handle and touched the ground with my other hand and it shocked me. At the time my batteries we’re not hooked up only running 15Amp shore power. I’m guessing there is a loose connection or something in the electrical coming in. Maybe a bad ground wire or something. I am not sure. I thought it may have been the extension cord but we tried multiple different ones with the same results. Anyone ever experience this? Or know where I should start looking for bad connections? Thanks, happy camping.
TheDominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Its called "Hot Skin"

There are several websites that describe, and tell how to test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link to help you out;

https://www.thervgeeks.com/rv-hot-skin/

Next time you want to check something like that don't put your hand on the suspected "hot" source then reach down with the other to ground yourself, that can be deadly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
Roper46

Interesting read in that link. I had never heard of that. Old dog is never to old to learn something, and thanks to this forum I learned something that could save my life or the life of others.

Thanks !
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Interesting read in that link. I had never heard of that. Old dog is never to old to learn something, and thanks to this forum I learned something that could save my life or the life of others.

Thanks !
I have dealt with it 2 times in my career so far, not fun to say the least.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have dealt with it 2 times in my career so far, not fun to say the least.
I've encountered it a few times (not in any of my RVs). The most awkward was crawling under a trailer house that had tin sheets for underpinning. It had a small hole cut out for access under the trailer (I was quite a bit smaller back then). I got into the hole up to my waist (the ground was damp). I raised my back to push on in and I contacted that sheet tin right at the top of my butt (I measured 120vac later). It popped me right back down with a blip of 60cycle buzz. I had never heard of "hot skin" before but I tried backing out and got zapped a couple more times before I got out. I told the homeowner they had a problem and I wasn't crawling under there until it was fixed but I was a little anxious trying to get out from under there. I later learned what "hot skin" was.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Hot skin can be deadly. Check your adapters and the outlet that it's plugged into. If you are using one of those cheap "hockey puck" style 30 to 15 Amp adapters replace it with a good dog bone style adapter. An EMS would protect against a bad connection at the pedestal (or outlet) and I would recommend investing in one.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
dutchmensport

I had a previous trailer that was perfectly fine, then one day did exactly as you described. Turned out the ground prong on the male end of the plug that goes into the receptacle was broken. The thing that causes "hot skin" is when the camper is plugged into shore power and there is no ground. More than likely, it's the shore power receptacle that's failing.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

I have had the hot skin condition twice, first time I traced it back to a bad 20A receptacle in my garage. 2nd time bad ground connection between the dog-bone adapter and the trailer receptacle. My multi tester can detect stray voltage by the push of a button so I have gotten in the habit of using that feature to test for hot skin every time I connect now.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #10
Timewas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator View Post
Hello everyone!

I have owned my 2006 Keystone Outback 21RS since July 2020 so this is my 3rd summer with it. This year and friend of mine mentioned that everytime she touches the door it feels tingly kinda like a electrical shock. After hearing that I tried myself and felt nothing. Then a family memeber mentioned that she was wearing flats and I was wearing sneakers. So my sneakers have rubber and hers dont. So I put my hand on the door handle and touched the ground with my other hand and it shocked me. At the time my batteries we’re not hooked up only running 15Amp shore power. I’m guessing there is a loose connection or something in the electrical coming in. Maybe a bad ground wire or something. I am not sure. I thought it may have been the extension cord but we tried multiple different ones with the same results. Anyone ever experience this? Or know where I should start looking for bad connections? Thanks, happy camping.
Check polarity of shore power plug,if that gets reversed it will do as you are experiencing
Timewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #11
bobbecky

We had a situation a number of years ago, when connecting the shore cord to the pedestal, the EMS would not power up the trailer. Turned out, the ground prong was broken inside the molded plug of the shore cord, and if we had not had our EMS, we easily could have had the hot skin issue. All this to say, an EMS can save your life as well as the life of all the electrical in your RV.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote