Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
MISailor

Intermittent AC Issue

Hey, folks. I’m a long-time member but have not posted in several years. Now I find myself in need of help trouble shooting an intermittent problem with the AC unit on my 2013 Premier 19FBR. On our first trip this year, the AC ran on the 30-amp campground circuit but it failed to cool. It also ran but failed to cool when we got home and I plugged into a 20-amp circuit in my garage on which it has run fine previously. So, I took the trailer to a service center where they found it to function just fine (40-degree air coming out of the ducts). Hmmm. Before our next trip I again plugged into my garage circuit and could hear the compressor trying to come on (repeatedly) only to shut off after a second or two each time (the fan continued to run). I then plugged into a different outlet on the outside of my house (which I later discovered was only a 15-amp circuit) and everything seemed to work just fine. So, I assumed there was something wonky with the power at the first campground and my garage circuit. Fast forward to our next outing and the compressor again tried to come on repeatedly but would shout down each time (fan continued to run). Other units around us were having no issues. Just for grins, I tried running it in the morning when fewer units were running around us and it seemed to work fine but then failed to cool later in the day. When we got home, it tripped the breaker on the 15-amp ourdoor outlet on which it seemed to run fine a few days earlier. I would appreciate suggestions as to how to trouble shoot the issue. Seems like the compressor is not getting enough power to start and continue running. Do these things have capacitors like home AC units?
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Yes they do have capacitors and yours may very well be defective. Do not continue to experiment with trying different recepticals or you will end up ruining the compressor. I would suggest first that you buy an EMS. There'sa difference between an EMS and a surge protectot. There are numerousposts on the forum addressing this.

Check your 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and the campers 30 amp plug. Look for discoloration of the prongs and for signs of heat, i.e. melting. A compromised plug can cause issues with electrical connections.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #3
MISailor

Thanks flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Yes they do have capacitors and yours may very well be defective. Do not continue to experiment with trying different recepticals or you will end up ruining the compressor. I would suggest first that you buy an EMS. There'sa difference between an EMS and a surge protectot. There are numerousposts on the forum addressing this.

Check your 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and the campers 30 amp plug. Look for discoloration of the prongs and for signs of heat, i.e. melting. A compromised plug can cause issues with electrical connections.
I had already begun shopping for an EMS. Plug and adapter both look fine.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISailor View Post
I had already begun shopping for an EMS. Plug and adapter both look fine.
Are you using the hockey puck type adapter?
If so they are known to fail & be a fire hazard.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #5
MISailor

Yes, but the problem is observed when plugged directly into 30 A service w/o the adapter
Old 08-03-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Socaldave

As stated I would not continue to try different outlets but rather look at the capacitor on the A/C unit and also install a soft start kit. The soft start kit did wonders for my A/C and you can't even hear the compressor come on when it kicks in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YBMCTBC...roduct_details
Old 09-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
MISailor

Solved - It was the capacitor

Thanks for the suggestions and input.