Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
hfinger

solera awning wont open

awning will not open .
incommand or control outside on awning has no power , no lights on awning is working either .
i have a good fuse in electrical box under stove .

any idea's ???

thanks in advance .
hfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfinger View Post
awning will not open .
incommand or control outside on awning has no power , no lights on awning is working either .
i have a good fuse in electrical box under stove .

any idea's ???

thanks in advance .
Everything else 12 vdc working? Boondocking or connected to shore power? What brand awning? What year/model trailer?

With the limited information, if the battery is good (>12 volts) and other 12v items are working then I would pull the switch from the wall and check for voltage at the switch. There may be a fuse in the wall behind the switch. If there is a blown fuse then that leads to the question, why?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
ChuckS

On the BCM for the IN Command are many terminal connections... I cant tell you which specific ones because I don't know what version of In Command you have.,.. also dont know what year make and model RV

I would check for a 12 volt DC incoming "Source" power to the BCM and then when you select the awning to move check the output lead terminal on BCM for a 12 volt DC signal.. indicating power is sent to the motor on the awning..

There is usually an INLINE fuse holder behind the wall if you had an actual wall switch for extend/retract of the awning but not sure with the In Command..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
ChuckS

As an example .. if you had the Pro Plus version of In Command here are the PIN numbers for the awning lights as well as the motor for the awning

NOTE… the awning circuit has a 15 amp socketed relay on the BCM itself that could fail and not allow 12 volts to the motor

The relays are plug ins so yo7 could temp swap one with another and see if the awning works

The awning lights have a separate fuse you would need to locate

Images of Pro Plus BCM terminal pin outs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20DDA5C3-7381-4DC1-8B0D-88797F8F47D9.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	40847   Click image for larger version

Name:	B87BEF6F-4DA9-4ADF-A2C6-104133183771.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	40848  

Old 07-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Completly missed the bcm statement. Just came in from the pool at the cg and I think I'm still 1/2 blind!
Old 07-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
ChuckS

Reread post and OP stated he has outside control for awning as well..remove that and Look for inline fuse and also on the awnings arm there is a splice or disconnect for power to awning motor and light..check that as well

Old 07-27-2022, 03:39 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I have seen several times where people have loose wire connections where the wires exit the wall of the trailer. You may want to start there with a meter and see if you have power coming from inside, which will determine where you look next.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #8
Keydon62

2015 23rb LCI Power Awning

power awning not working - has in the past been stuck first of season, but when loosened using drill then worked. now it does not work at all. where is the fuse for the awning - it is not listed in the fuse panel and there are no open circuits. cannot get to the connector by the motor (tried to remove cover but screws holes filled with dirt). cannot get to connector by head. considering cutting wire by head to see if there is voltage to the head. awning opens and closes easily with drill - any thoughts/experience in this area would be greatly appreciated
Keydon62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydon62 View Post
power awning not working - has in the past been stuck first of season, but when loosened using drill then worked. now it does not work at all. where is the fuse for the awning - it is not listed in the fuse panel and there are no open circuits. cannot get to the connector by the motor (tried to remove cover but screws holes filled with dirt). cannot get to connector by head. considering cutting wire by head to see if there is voltage to the head. awning opens and closes easily with drill - any thoughts/experience in this area would be greatly appreciated
I believe your trailer control panel is mounted to the end of the overhead cupboard as you enter the trailer. You can remove the 4 screws holding the panel to the cupboard, pull it away from the mount and check for voltage on the awning switch connectors at the back of the switch. You'll probably find the "inline fuse" located behind that panel. At least that's where my fuse is located for my awning. Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #10
Keydon62

good news - there is power at the switch by the door - so fuse is not blown
bad news - that points to a bad motor. i see that solera has a 'hybrid head' that i believe allows powered and manual use. plan to call them tomorrow and check if that will work as a replacement.
open to thoughts on better motor replacement
another thought - i have always closed my awning tight - then after prolong storage (as in over the winter) it becomes 'stuck' and the motor is not strong enough to break is loose - once i use drill to loosen it, the power works just fine for the season. does anyone leave their awning just a little loose - should i cloe all the way, then back off half a turn
appreciate the help/advice
Old 09-05-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=Solera+motor

This thread has a cheap replacement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #12
Keydon62

that is crazy clever!! but of course there is yet another challenge - have attempted to remove the shroud around the motor while it is still on the awning and succeeded with only three or 8 screws out. cannot get grip on the others due to 'stuff' in the holes. looks like i am forced into removing the whole unit to work on it - just do not like the idea of leaving the awing apart.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydon62 View Post
that is crazy clever!! but of course there is yet another challenge - have attempted to remove the shroud around the motor while it is still on the awning and succeeded with only three or 8 screws out. cannot get grip on the others due to 'stuff' in the holes. looks like i am forced into removing the whole unit to work on it - just do not like the idea of leaving the awing apart.
Buy a set of dental pics. Harbour Freight sells them as well as on- line stores. They are great for cleaning out screwheads as well as a lot of other uses.

Tags
awning