Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 06:26 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I think the guy that was working the foam gun was transferred from sealing the roof penetrations. He was probably "squeezing the trigger until it goops up and runs" as he was initially trained on the roof. After all, more is better right?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the guy that was working the foam gun was transferred from sealing the roof penetrations. He was probably "squeezing the trigger until it goops up and runs" as he was initially trained on the roof. After all, more is better right?
Guess the expanding foam isn't something an Amish craftsman is to familiar with. I wonder if the craftsman with the foam guy had any training or if the boss ever inspected his craftsmanship?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #23
Alpine Custom Upgrade

A/C cooling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuffeyT View Post
I have a 2021 Keystone Alpine 3650RL (39 feet). I have two Whisper Quiet system A/C's on my Alpine. Most of the issues are cooling. Does anyone else have these issues. It will not stay cold during the day. I've read that Keystone has not looked into this issue yet. I've opened up all the duct work and re-tapped them. I've also cut the ceiling to size under the four intakes. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
T. Guffey
We found that in our 3650RL that in this Texas 105 degree heat that our a/c did fine until the middle of the afternoon when the sun was straight down on the roof and the heat was the highest, the two units just were not quite enough to keep up. We added a THIRD unit in the place where a crank open roof vent was in the kitchen area. Problem went away and the third unit only runs but still cycles during the heat of the day. Never comes on otherwise.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
kidyounger

A c issue

I have a 2017 alpine and set my bedroom unit one degree warmer and set the fan on bedroom unit to med speed to run continuously to get more air flow.
kidyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #25
Farside

Point to the south

I have a 2015 Alpine, and find it is hard to cool down when the temp outside is sitting around 100 down in Texas. So, I have been watching how I set up for the past 5 years down there. I have found the orientation of the 5th wheel plays a big part on what to expect on how low the temperature can get inside. Broadside to the sun I can only expect about a 10 degree reduction inside with both A/Cs blasting. OK, maybe the bedroom will get a 15 degree reduction. However, If I point my nose to the south, I can expect another 5 degree reduction. These RVs don't have a lot of insulation in them, so I wouldn't expect a lot out of the cooling and heating department. I have thought about adding insulated sheets on the sunny side windows. It seems a lot of people are swearing that seems to help. But, I like looking out them, and figure it will only make the inside darker. Haven't found a win-win solution.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside View Post
I have a 2015 Alpine, and find it is hard to cool down when the temp outside is sitting around 100 down in Texas. So, I have been watching how I set up for the past 5 years down there. I have found the orientation of the 5th wheel plays a big part on what to expect on how low the temperature can get inside. Broadside to the sun I can only expect about a 10 degree reduction inside with both A/Cs blasting. OK, maybe the bedroom will get a 15 degree reduction. However, If I point my nose to the south, I can expect another 5 degree reduction. These RVs don't have a lot of insulation in them, so I wouldn't expect a lot out of the cooling and heating department. I have thought about adding insulated sheets on the sunny side windows. It seems a lot of people are swearing that seems to help. But, I like looking out them, and figure it will only make the inside darker. Haven't found a win-win solution.

Yes putting Reflectix or similar in the windows will make it darker when it cuts off the sun. For us it's not a big deal since we either leave, turn on the lights or take a nap. It's much better than sweltering in 90 degree temps inside the RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:54 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes putting Reflectix or similar in the windows will make it darker when it cuts off the sun. For us it's not a big deal since we either leave, turn on the lights or take a nap. It's much better than sweltering in 90 degree temps inside the RV.
Exactly! If I want to see outside I go out and take a walk or set in the shade.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #28
ChuckS

My 2014 Alpine AC units cool quite well.. I have about a 22 degree temp differential when measured between the return ducts and the overhead ducts... No issues cooling in hot weather.. Fans run on Auto unless someplace with high humidity..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My 2014 Alpine AC units cool quite well.. I have about a 22 degree temp differential when measured between the return ducts and the overhead ducts... No issues cooling in hot weather.. Fans run on Auto unless someplace with high humidity..

Chuck mine cools well too but they won't keep me at 75 with all the windows open in full sun at 105. Does yours allow that? I don't have dual pane glass with quite a few large windows and the heat will radiate like a sauna inside. I ask because I've not pulled the units off the roof - never had any problems as they cool better than any trailer we've owned with lots of airflow with this new ducting system...maybe there's more to be gained if I did??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #30
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
I have a 2021 Keystone Alpine 3650RL (39 feet). I have two Whisper Quiet system A/C's on my Alpine. Most of the issues are cooling. Does anyone else have these issues. It will not stay cold during the day. I've read that Keystone has not looked into this issue yet. I've opened up all the duct work and re-tapped them. I've also cut the ceiling to size under the four intakes. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
T. Guffey
What is the highest temperature during the day that you are experiencing? Is the rv in the shade full time or in the direct sun all day?
Old 07-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #31
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
What is the highest temperature during the day that you are experiencing? Is the rv in the shade full time or in the direct sun all day?
It is entirely possible that the heat gain through the walls and roof are simply overwhelming the capacity of the a/C units. Might not be an airflow issue at all but more of a btu thing. We installed a third a/c unit in the roof vent hole in the kitchen of our 3650RL. Solved the heat issue even in the hottest part of the day. Cycles on and off.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:18 AM   #32
Vacationer

a/c

Quote:

Thank you,
T. Guffey
I have 2021 Alpine 3220 rl same issue
Vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #33
GuffeyT

So here is what I have done since my original post. I did remove both AC's and blow everything out including the vents. I also re-tapped everything. I also removed and re-tapped the vent ducks. I also added a new intake to both AC's. I will post some photos. I cut the new intakes where the blue dot is on the AC roof photo. Thank you again for all the help, both AC's are cooling and running great. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
GuffeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

Quote:
So here is what I have done since my original post. I did remove both AC's and blow everything out including the vents. I also re-tapped everything. I also removed and re-tapped the vent ducks. I also added a new intake to both AC's. I will post some photos. I cut the new intakes where the blue dot is on the AC roof photo. Thank you again for all the help, both AC's are cooling and running great. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Thomas, Don't believe you have the hang of posting pictures. If they are on your computer, go to the QUOTE or Advanced function. Then click on manage attachments. You can scroll to the file path on your computer and select the file you wish to post. Then say "upload" and do this with all the pictures you wish to post. Then close that dialog box. The pictures will post where your curson is in the compose window. There are size limits for various file types.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #35
GuffeyT

Yes, you are correct. I guess I have to retry posting the photos.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #36
GuffeyT

Install Intake Vents and Re-tapped duct work

So here is what I have done since my original post. I did remove both AC's and blow everything out including the vents. I also re-tapped everything. I also removed and re-tapped the vent ducks. I also added a new intake to both AC's. I will post some photos. I cut the new intakes where the blue dot is on the AC roof photo. Thank you again for all the help, both AC's are cooling and running great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Top AC.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	40939   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Duct.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	40940   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Duct 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	40941   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Duct 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	40942   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Duct 3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	40943  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Duct 4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	40944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front AC intake vent.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	40945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front AC intake vent 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	40946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear AC intake vent.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	40947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear AC intake vent 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40948  

Old 08-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #37
ChuckS

Quote:
So here is what I have done since my original post. I did remove both AC's and blow everything out including the vents. I also re-tapped everything. I also removed and re-tapped the vent ducks. I also added a new intake to both AC's. I will post some photos. I cut the new intakes where the blue dot is on the AC roof photo. Thank you again for all the help, both AC's are cooling and running great.
Yup now that you have taken the time and effort to remove the roof AC units and correct that mess as well as dropping the overhead ducts and retaping glad you are getting the results the system is capable of delivering...

I SEE a FEW other ALPINE owners tagged onto your post and if they have not removed those AC units off the roof and correct the ductwork mess they will never get good cooling..

I have stayed in Las Vegas in June and July with no trees for shade, 112 degrees and was able to maintain 75 degrees in the LR and 70 in the BR with no issues...

The newer Alpines - 2017 and up came with one unit being the Dometic NXT Blizzard and its supposed to be better than my Penguin II and BrisK Air 2 Dometics on the older Alpines

In the late fall months when we camp in 10 degree weather I have no trouble with the furnace maintaining a decent temp of 62 degrees.. ( we dont like it hot inside )

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #38
GuffeyT

Check out my photos below and do the same things I have done, you should get cool air.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #39
GuffeyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Depends on the campground we stay at. Read my stream below and review the photos.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:02 AM   #40
GuffeyT

A/C 100% Better

As I stated in my last post. I took the both A/C units off the roof, cleaned, resealed and taped off everything. I also installed a new A/C intake vent for each unit. WOW, what a difference that makes. Our camper was extremely cold during our last camping trip. I believe I posted photos on my last post. I cannot believe Keystone has not fixed this issue yet.

Tags
alpine, keystone