Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
wegone

More COVID info....

My grandson Max, who is 8 years old was admitted to the hospital yesterday down in California.

Took my wife to the airport last night, she is already down there with Max and our daughter, and family.

I got stuck with HER dogs, and will drive the 1400 miles down if needed, but thus far it does not appear I will.

We were driving down for Easter to spend a couple weeks.

Max had been sick for about a week, with visits to the doctors, but they couldn't find anything wrong via standard testing.

Our daughter would call us crying when Max had pain so bad, he would just break out in sobs...
My wife, our daughter's mother, was a pediatric nurse for many years.

What it appears to be is that the COVID virus cells, from a previous exposure of a very mild case in Max, still has these "dead" cells roaming the body and his immune system is trying to fight off these intruders.

These cells cannot infect, multiply, etc, they are dead but not gone, and pose no risk to anyone at all, only to his little body and an active immune system.

Under normal viral infections our bodies kill and rid our bodies of the dead cells through its natural process.
These cells are not adhering to that normal process.

They are treating him for inflamed muscles around his heart, caused by his body trying to fight off these intruders.

He should be ok, but it might take months for these cells to be gone in total, with episode of inflammation to his organs still possible...they don't know yet, this is all new stuff.

It appears to effect only children in the 8-13 year old range, which most likely has to do with a still developing immune system.

I'm thinking to myself, maybe this is why we see these spikes in positive COVID test, but not deaths, etc, because they are swabbing "dead cells" that can't infect, but perhaps because this virus was "man-made" and none of our bodies "burn them up" in the natural way as other viruses, they circulate through our blood longer, harmless, unless you are a young child....????

None of what Max is experiencing is showing up on "test" that all other viruses show....in a sense, its flying under our current radar screen for some reason.

He will be a case in study now.
He is in good hands at a children hospital in southern California.

Just wanted to share this with you all, knowledge can be so valuable when shared, and of course we gladly accept prayers for Max, thank you.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
jlc

Thank you for sharing. It seems there is still so much we don't know. My prayers go out to your grandson. I hope he is well soon.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
Gary R.

Hello Eddie, so sorry to hear of your grandson's suffering. Have faith he will get better!

May God Bless Him.

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

A sick grand kiddo can tweek your heart. I don't understand the science of immunology and these dead cells you speak of... Covid19 is a virus. The common cold and influenza are Covid viruses from what I understand and it seems strange to me that the episode your grandson is going through would also be something you would see after a cold or the flu in kids that age if age is a determinant.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
wegone

UPDATE:

Max is doing good.

His body reacted great to treatment.
He might even be going home today, I have not heard yet, but last report I got said if his fever was gone for a 24-hour span he was good to go

I don't have all the information, etc, exactly what and how this occurs with the spent COVID virus in kids, but from what I am gathering these dead cells that stay in our bodies longer that what we knew about all other previous viral infections....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40ACC0F5-9C2B-42A5-81B5-DEA61C3341F9-studio.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	39044  
Old 03-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
notanlines

Eddie, thx for the update….great news. And tell grandson that his jammies beat the ones I get in the hospital hands down!!!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I'm glad to hear your grandson is now doing better. Sick kids and then grandkids is just mind boggling anguish. I'm just curious though? Did he get the vaccine shots?
Old 03-30-2022, 07:56 AM   #8
wegone

Just got off a ZOOM call with my daughter and Max....
His fever is all gone, they are calling for one more blood test, and if that looks good, he will be released today.

Max wanted to know when I would be over, he forgot I get to watch grandma's weenie dogs while she gets to go....what's up with that anyway?

I love dogs, but I want to be dog free for a couple years so we can travel, we are both retired now, I don't mind them so much in the trailer, but I want to fly off to exotic places where they eat weenie dogs for breakfast

BTW, my daughter has Kaiser medical insurance, and she says its the greatest, they have a sleeping/relaxing area adjacent to Max's room....how wonderful is that!

To my knowledge Max did not get a vaccine....
Old 03-30-2022, 08:15 AM   #9
dutchmensport

So glad to hear your updated report and that things are much improved now. Thank-you. We have weiner dogs too by the way. They are a handful.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

That's great news. There's nothing more worrisome or heart wrenching than an injured or sick child.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #11
Gary R.

That is wonderful news!

Max looks great in those pajamas, they don't give us adults such stylish attire when we are in the hospital!

So glad he doing well!

Take care.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:10 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, glad the outcome is headed toward a complete recovery. Kids deserve NOT to be sick....

As for the PJ's... They look great. Last time I was in the hospital, the "things they gave me" were the kind that you don't dare walk down the hall without both hands behind you !!!!! Glad to see they've improved on what they're giving kids to wear !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:27 PM   #13
wegone

Looks like he is coming home tomorrow if everything continues as it is.
They removed his IV that they were administering his medications, so he is now taking it orally and if that continues with no side effects, etc....
He gets to leave.

And Mom gets to come home next Tuesday....
I need help guys coming up with an answer to what happened to her dogs

Here is a picture of my daughter Kelsey and Max a few years ago at the San Diego Zoo I took.

Thanks all for your support, oh, BTW, it looks like Lippert is fixing everything on my trailer suspension, the customer service person at CW really went to bat for me. Had to pull lots of measurements, etc, to make sure they send the right stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max kelsey.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	852.6 KB
ID:	39070  
Old 03-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
Gary R.

Hi Eddie,

Looks like good news all around!

We are so happy for your family!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I'm very glad to hear that things are coming round for the family. I'm also glad to hear the the trailer issues are apparently getting taken care of. Take care of the family and the trailer will come in due time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #16
wegone

GREAT NEWS....

MAX IS HOME

Now, we need to get mom home.

The airlines she is booked on, the pilots went on strike yesterday, and its homebase is here at SeaTac.

Over 70 flights canceled yesterday here alone, arg.

Reading the article, it said the airline industry is 10K pilots short presently
And coming out of COVID where people are wanting to travel, get back to normal, it is going to put a strain on the industry......

Let's just hope that too does not become the next inflated item in our lives, but then again, in the scope of things, it might mean travel by trailer is the ONLY WAY TO FLY....again.

EXTRA points to whoever can guess that line from a airline ad years ago

Thanks all for the support and well wishes, it means a lot, doubly, no, make that triply so, when I am home alone with only two weenie dogs that all they do sleep and poop, 24/7.... some human contact is priceless
Old 04-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
GREAT NEWS....

MAX IS HOME

Now, we need to get mom home.

The airlines she is booked on, the pilots went on strike yesterday, and its homebase is here at SeaTac.

Over 70 flights canceled yesterday here alone, arg.

Reading the article, it said the airline industry is 10K pilots short presently
And coming out of COVID where people are wanting to travel, get back to normal, it is going to put a strain on the industry......

Let's just hope that too does not become the next inflated item in our lives, but then again, in the scope of things, it might mean travel by trailer is the ONLY WAY TO FLY....again.

EXTRA points to whoever can guess that line from a airline ad years ago

Thanks all for the support and well wishes, it means a lot, doubly, no, make that triply so, when I am home alone with only two weenie dogs that all they do sleep and poop, 24/7.... some human contact is priceless
My sons flight out of Miami to Baltimore just got bumped from 6:15 tonight til 11 pm tomorrow night …we just got back to the rv from dropping him off from the middle Keys to Miami international and after he got there they moved the flight three times finally settling on 30 HOURS LATER..he might have to Uber back to my rv and try again tomorrow…ughhhhhhhh
Old 04-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My sons flight out of Miami to Baltimore just got bumped from 6:15 tonight til 11 pm tomorrow night …we just got back to the rv from dropping him off from the middle Keys to Miami international and after he got there they moved the flight three times finally settling on 30 HOURS LATER..he might have to Uber back to my rv and try again tomorrow…ughhhhhhhh

This is the kind of stuff that happened the last time we (DW) flew. My daughter was very ill in FL and DW flew here from TX. Outgoing flights were changed 4 times to get from Lubbock, TX to Tallahassee, FL. Took over 16 hours for a 3 hr. flight. Return was worse; flights and flight times kept changing; one flight decided to divert to OK City with no plans on how to get those on there to their destinations. She was given another flight to DFW then they cancelled the one to Lubbock leaving her stranded at DFW. DS had to make a 4 hr. round trip to get her at midnight then take her back to be there at 6am for a supposed 1 hr. flight from DFW to Lubbock. I ended up getting her in Lubbock at 2pm. I told her the ONLY way I will ever be getting on a plane again is in a box and it's the cheapest way to get me home. Till then I'll get from "here to there" in a vehicle, or riding a donkey, before I'll mess with another plane. This was pre-covid and sounds like nothing has changed. Hopefully one day they'll pull their heads out and see which end is up. Good luck on getting him on his flight....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is the kind of stuff that happened the last time we (DW) flew. My daughter was very ill in FL and DW flew here from TX. Outgoing flights were changed 4 times to get from Lubbock, TX to Tallahassee, FL. Took over 16 hours for a 3 hr. flight. Return was worse; flights and flight times kept changing; one flight decided to divert to OK City with no plans on how to get those on there to their destinations. She was given another flight to DFW then they cancelled the one to Lubbock leaving her stranded at DFW. DS had to make a 4 hr. round trip to get her at midnight then take her back to be there at 6am for a supposed 1 hr. flight from DFW to Lubbock. I ended up getting her in Lubbock at 2pm. I told her the ONLY way I will ever be getting on a plane again is in a box and it's the cheapest way to get me home. Till then I'll get from "here to there" in a vehicle, or riding a donkey, before I'll mess with another plane. This was pre-covid and sounds like nothing has changed. Hopefully one day they'll pull their heads out and see which end is up. Good luck on getting him on his flight....

Yes it’s frustrating, he said there is like five thousand people standing in line and he can’t talk to anyone..he keeps getting texts telling him the flight has changed til tomorrow but online it shows just an hour delay. But his plane # doesnt show up on the departures board in the airport.

He had it easy. We were bringing his luggage back with us so he only had a backpack to carry on..we did have a nice week though so that worked out
Old 04-02-2022, 12:31 PM   #20
wegone

We got in front of it, as I had a heads up in the local paper.

I called my wife and we decided to try and switch her airports, same airlines, but fewer choices in departures, etc.

We were able to switch with only a 10-dollar fee, and its way better for me, as I get to avoid SeaTac now.

She is leaving from Palm Springs and flying directly to Paine Field, Boeing, Everette, they build most of their wide bodies still using this airport to fly out of.

A brand-new terminal, hardly any traffic, as it has not had a chance to expand commercial flights yet. It's just minutes after I take the ferry across, I worked there for 10 years before I retired.

We lucked out