Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
hawghauler

Need site near TOD

Hi everyone we are currently planning a 2 week trip for August 1st week will be a bike event in North west Maryland well pull out of that event and head south to ride the tail of the dragon NC/TN border were looking for a good place to stay in that area our truck amd trailer are both outside the ten year rule so we need recommendations on where to stay that well be welcomed

Any and all input welcome TIA
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
Jim2366

We go to that area very often. We have gone to Todd and road our bikes along the river. We have stayed at Linville Falls Campground RV Park which is very nice but out a ways. We also have stayed in Boone at Flintlock Campground four times and is nice and real close to Todd. Boone, NC the traffic is pretty busy.

Last summer 2021 we stayed at, New River State Park, Laurel Springs, NC which is 24 miles to Todd. We had a great site there and very reasonable price.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome and liked Grand Father Mountain, but Mount Mitchell is really amazing. I did not take the RV on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:34 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
We go to that area very often. We have gone to Todd and road our bikes along the river. We have stayed at Linville Falls Campground RV Park which is very nice but out a ways. We also have stayed in Boone at Flintlock Campground four times and is nice and real close to Todd. Boone, NC the traffic is pretty busy.

Last summer 2021 we stayed at, New River State Park, Laurel Springs, NC which is 24 miles to Todd. We had a great site there and very reasonable price.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome and liked Grand Father Mountain, but Mount Mitchell is really amazing. I did not take the RV on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
You obviously have mistaken where the OP wants to be. Not one of the places you listed is anywhere close to TOD, which is on the TN/NC line area and south of Maryville, TN
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Have you spoken to the parks near by? Many will make exceptions to the 10 year rule if you send pics of your rigs and they “pass” the visual test. I’m assuming they’ll pass the visual test. I know some people with a 14 year old class A pusher that have to do that all the time. I’m coming up on that myself. Fortunately for me, my FBP looks as good or better today as the day it rolled off the lot brand new.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #5
xrated

Townsend, TN has a lot of campgrounds, but the problem with that is that the Foothills Parkway (the shortest road from Townsend to TOD) is under a repaving process and may not be done before your trip.....just in case you notice the Townsend area.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Hi everyone we are currently planning a 2 week trip for August 1st week will be a bike event in North west Maryland well pull out of that event and head south to ride the tail of the dragon NC/TN border were looking for a good place to stay in that area our truck amd trailer are both outside the ten year rule so we need recommendations on where to stay that well be welcomed

Any and all input welcome TIA
I stayed at Elk Mont National park right in the Smokies close to pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. There’s no water or electric hook ups water and sewer are available. It is about 50 miles to the dragon. I think it’s centrally located for the best riding in the Smokies. There is a museum wheels through time Maggie Ville, will let you spend the night there visiting the museum and riding . I have found people are canceling their reservations . It’s possible you might get into the national park if your camper is equipped for Boondocking.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I stayed at Elk Mont National park right in the Smokies close to pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. There’s no water or electric hook ups water and sewer are available. It is about 50 miles to the dragon. I think it’s centrally located for the best riding in the Smokies. There is a museum wheels through time Maggie Ville, will let you spend the night there visiting the museum and riding . I have found people are canceling their reservations . It’s possible you might get into the national park if your camper is equipped for Boondocking.

We are mostly boondockers the week prior we will be using genny power on Appel mountain for the east coast Sturgis ( 4th yr for us there ) my DW wants to do a full hookup " normal" campground for this leg as we all know if mom isn't happy nobody is

Btw our rig is an 08 raptor and a 2010 chevy dually it's in great shape everything works as it should but 10 yrs is 10 yrs the 5er is 14 and the truck is 12
Old 06-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Have you spoken to the parks near by? Many will make exceptions to the 10 year rule if you send pics of your rigs and they “pass” the visual test. I’m assuming they’ll pass the visual test. I know some people with a 14 year old class A pusher that have to do that all the time. I’m coming up on that myself. Fortunately for me, my FBP looks as good or better today as the day it rolled off the lot brand new.
She is in process with a place called teaberry.in robinsville

boss lady handles final arrangements I just pay the bills and pull the freight
Old 06-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
roadglide

I have not heard of the east coast Sturgis. I have been to the Kentucky-little Sturgis and South Dakota will be there in the July through the middle of August this year staying at shade Valley resort.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #10
hawghauler

Quote:
I have not heard of the east coast Sturgis. I have been to the Kentucky-little Sturgis and South Dakota will be there in the July through the middle of August this year staying at shade Valley resort.
Little orleans Maryland 1st week of August I'll be there from July 30 - August 8 heading south from there to ride the tail it's a bucket list thing
Old 06-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Little orleans Maryland 1st week of August I'll be there from July 30 - August 8 heading south from there to ride the tail it's a bucket list thing
Well I just added that to my bucket list as well. Looking forward to hearing reports when you get back.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #12
hawghauler

Quote:
Well I just added that to my bucket list as well. Looking forward to hearing reports when you get back.
Last year was a blast this year will be the same the cost for the week is like 50-60 bucks live bands daily 3-4 of them on weekend

I highly recommend going I always meet nice interesting people we also go for memorial weekend and the October run but the big event is 1st week of August it's not a commercial event there is a vendor row for cheap jewelry etc we pull in Saturday setup and relax go riding the Potomac is great to cool off in or tube down excellent riding beautiful scenery I will give warning it is not uncommon to see topless ladies so bring the beads and plenty of beer
Old 06-16-2022, 05:49 AM   #13
ljdriscoll

If you have found a campground you like I would call them and send pictures of your rigs. You are not thar far past 10 years if in good shape

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 AM   #14
roadglide

There is a bunch of riding even being centrally located. I stayed the night in a motel at Dragon City . The ride is nice and cool there are several stops and canteen’s Along 129 or the dam road of Tennessee .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCEC0239-66CD-4FBB-AF1F-F4D91BFB1718.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	40278  
Old 06-16-2022, 06:17 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I've read about the "10 yr rule" but can't recall ever being asked what year my rig is. What's to prevent you from saying it's newer? Are they going to check your registration? I can understand a policy if the cg or general area is inundated with sqatters in old run down campers. I have seen the 10 yr policy applied to seasonal sites to prevent old rigs or as a way to evict some tenants.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:30 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Last year was a blast this year will be the same the cost for the week is like 50-60 bucks live bands daily 3-4 of them on weekend

I highly recommend going I always meet nice interesting people we also go for memorial weekend and the October run but the big event is 1st week of August it's not a commercial event there is a vendor row for cheap jewelry etc we pull in Saturday setup and relax go riding the Potomac is great to cool off in or tube down excellent riding beautiful scenery I will give warning it is not uncommon to see topless ladies so bring the beads and plenty of beer
So far we’ve stuck to rally’s out west. Go to Puerto Penasco Mexico for the rally every Nov. need to get to some of the ones up north/out east during the summer when it’s too damn hot to breath down here in NM. Our youngest graduates HS next year, that will open up possibilities.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:12 AM   #17
hawghauler

Quote:
So far we’ve stuck to rally’s out west. Go to Puerto Penasco Mexico for the rally every Nov. need to get to some of the ones up north/out east during the summer when it’s too damn hot to breath down here in NM. Our youngest graduates HS next year, that will open up possibilities.

Most bike week / rallys we have been to are in city's and I'm pretty sure the goal is to empty our wallets 3 cops on every corner . The ECS rally is in bum **** Egypt were boondocking on a mountain with 10,000 other likeminded people you'll see a motor home that cost more than 3 of my houses and next to him is some guy on a hand built chop cooking hotdogs over his fire and sleeping under a tarp it's a true old school bike rally make a plan I'll see you there

btw our youngest is 19 just started at the steel mill with me he watches our dogs when we go without them there is a no dog rule for this event also no guns colors or dumbasses a sign states if you don't know how to act go home
Old 06-16-2022, 07:37 AM   #18
hawghauler

Quote:
There is a bunch of riding even being centrally located. I stayed the night in a motel at Dragon City . The ride is nice and cool there are several stops and canteen’s Along 129 or the dam road of Tennessee .

Nice road glide I ride an 87 FLTC with a 130 inch Evo baker OD6 and quite a long list of supporting mods the old girl will haul the mail
Old 06-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #19
hawghauler

Site found and booked teaberry hill sent pics of rig they had no problem with its age/condition res. made paid is it August yet haha
Old 06-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #20
curtiscapk

Careful out there y'all!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...KMr?li=BBnbfcL
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote