Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #41
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just curious. How did you know it was the delta that got you this time. Is there some test for that variant specifically? How do you differentiate between delta and omicron? Just curious...
Not 100% as again we didn't get tested, but just based on the timing and symptoms of those we knew who were hospitalized with the Delta Variant. This was before Omicron was identified as a variant.

Also, my sense of taste is nearly normal but my wife's is not. My sense of smell has not fully recovered nor has my wife's.

We haul test kits for pharmaceutical manufacturers and they have advised that the test kits cannot differentiate between the COVID virus and the flu, let alone which variant.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #42
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Not 100% as again we didn't get tested, but just based on the timing and symptoms of those we knew who were hospitalized with the Delta Variant. This was before Omicron was identified as a variant.

Also, my sense of taste is nearly normal but my wife's is not. My sense of smell has not fully recovered nor has my wife's.

We haul test kits for pharmaceutical manufacturers and they have advised that the test kits cannot differentiate between the COVID virus and the flu, let alone which variant.

Yeah, they pulled the main test off the market for that little item... perhaps that is one reason why so many folks tested positive in flu season.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:23 AM   #43
gearhead

Latest news from Houston...Baylor College of Medicine has developed a new vaccine. Supposedly very effective. India is buying a lot of it.
https://www.texaschildrens.org/texas...ures-emergency
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #44
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I caught Covid in Mississippi this year. Took about two weeks to come down with any symptoms started off with a slight loss of energy and appetite and continually got worse lost 15 pounds, for me the covid was a mixture of pneumonia and flu that lasted nine days with the temperature . The drag is the symptoms linger on loss of hair smell and taste but I am slowly getting back. I took ibuprofen and drink TheraFlu. I was not vaccinated but will be soon. I was in Michigan at RV park and was not going to report myself to the authorities self isolating , didn’t matter I didn’t feel like doing anything to begin with. When I came back to New Mexico With no fever and feeling better I tested negative. The fear mongering the news and cdc puts out about Covid , somebody that had the disease could die from t
hinking about what they have been told over and over again.
. I got stuck this weekend 4 months after I got sick. I got Covid all over again the shot made me very tired lost of appetite , 101 fever chills ,pressure in my head no ice packs this time . The good thing it was over in 24 hours . The vaccine give me Covid so my immune knows how to fight it off . No need for second or third .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #45
jsb5717

I'm just getting over a 2 week sickness. All the symptoms including loss of taste for a full week. However, tested negative for Covid...twice. One in home test, one drive in test. Not sure what to make of it. My wife has it as well...a little behind me in recovery and also tested negative.

I've never had a virus like this and was sure it was Covid
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #46
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I'm just getting over a 2 week sickness. All the symptoms including loss of taste for a full week. However, tested negative for Covid...twice. One in home test, one drive in test. Not sure what to make of it. My wife has it as well...a little behind me in recovery and also test negative.

I've never had a virus like this and was sure it was Covid
Just read the CDC announced the in-home test kit doesn't work well for the omicron variant. Perhaps testing won't work well for this new bug. Many folks around my part of the country will have full symptoms for awhile as the Mountain Cedars are puking boy-pollen. Probably the worst I have seen; looks like a fire as this stuff billows with each gust of wind. I am not much affected but the missus is a bit. So much crud going around, who knows?
Old 12-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Two funerals today. DW's aunt going to the funeral of her close freind age in her early 70's. Her freind was not vaxed.

Our son- in- law is at the funeral for his aunt age late 60's. She was not vaxed. Her husband , late 60's and son, around 45, both hospitalized and on death's door, both unvaxed. His uncle was buried last week. He was late 60's and not vaccinated. So our son-in-law's father buried a brother and his twin sister in less than a week. He's a Fire Chief and responded to the call when his sister died in her house. Our SIL has an uncle on his mother's side whose in his late 50's with Covid. He's not vaxed and so far not hospitalized.

Our daughter and her husband have one freind from Hawaii that came home to Phili for the holidays. He has it but not hospitalized. He's fully vaccinated. Another freind of theirs who's in his late 30's has it with sever symptoms. He had 1 shot. His wife has it but with mild symptoms. She had 1 vaccine shot only. One of their 3 kids has it. I think he's around 6 years old and having minor symptoms.

I feel blessed that none of our immediate family has contracted it. We are all fully vaccinated and it was our choice to do so. My DW, our 2 daughters, and me all have health issues that can comprimise our immune systems. I got the Pfizer, 3 were Moderna and 1 J&J. Our SIL also is immune compromised as he had his spleen removed when he was around 35 due to cancer.

DW and I also know several folks that have had the virus and survived. My godson had it last winter and spent 2 weeks in his camper so as not to spead it to his wife and daughters. He's in his late 30's and was ill before the vaccine was available.

So the virus is real, it does kill, and it can infect all ages. What anyone chooses to do reguarding the vaccine is their choice and I respect that. All I can attest to is my experience. Every since the DW and I slipped into our 50's we have had the flue vaccines. Neither of us has had the flue after that. Because diabetes I also get the pneumonia vaccine. Before that, I had several bouts of pleurisy but none after. From our experience with flue vaccines and considering the risk vs benefit it was an easy decision for us.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #48
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Think how deadly the flu would be if we didn't have a vaccine. It's pretty bad stuff but we don't treat the flu the same way we treat the Covid 19. If everybody stayed home, wore masks, washed hands, and coughed into their elbow, the flu wouldn't be as bad either.
You get the gold star for this response.

Shutting down the world is what it took to keep the deaths as low as they were with Covid (which isn't low) - had we gone on with our regular lives like we would with the flu ..... half the planet would be gone (exaduration).

Could be the difference right there!

Edit - on another note - my Mom lost 9 friends in the last year - NOT because of Covid, but it is because of Covid because they could not get the hospital care they required for other non Covid reasons.

Especially with Delta - we needed to get the shots to keep the beds open, which is exactly what the vaccines did. It saved many lives after we got the ICU's cleared out from all the Covid patients.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #49
wiredgeorge

I think one of the issues with vax vs no jab is that the politics entered and so much misinformation was puked out by the govt and media folks were hesitant to believe what they were being told. Six feet went to three feet... mask, double mask, no mask... Pfizer 97 percent effective... really, if the media and government had stayed out of it or just let folks know what was known scientifically I think folks would have gotten on board for the best possible protection. Too much politics and too little expertise and the big boy docs in the govt are about as clueless as the average Joe like myself. You sit in a cushy office chair for 40 years and claim medical expertise? I could sit in my carport for 40 years and would never be a Lincoln Continental. Social media has done their darnest to stiffle any intelligent discourse on the science and best practices to keep the bug at bay. Oh, btw, the CDC has now made self-isolation five days and once again, the goal posts have moved.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #50
Javi

Wife and I both had it in September, I ran no fever, felt about as tired as I do from a heavy day at work, didn't lose smell or taste, wasn't particularly hungry and I've been sicker from the flu by a long shot. But I tested positive 4 times over a 15 day period.

Wife was sicker and lost taste and smell with a fever for 3 days, she also tested positive twice..

All tests were the full deal administrated by family doctor.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #51
Lindyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
My wife and I got it in December of last year(2020). We lost our sense of smell and sense of taste was also affected, but somewhat to a lesser degree. We couldn't get tested at the time as they didn't have enough test apparently.

Symptoms were similar to a cold. I was tired, slept a lot for about 5 days, but no fever detected. My wife wasn't affected as much. Sniffles mostly.

In August of this year we got the Delta variant. Congestion in my lungs was hard to expel. Very "sticky", more so than I've ever experienced with colds or the flu, but not debilitating. It was a little scary, especially as I actually knew several people who got this version and were hospitalized as in ICU. And these were healthy, strong men between the ages of 30-50 years old.

We are not vaccinated and have no intentions in doing so. It has become apparent that the vaccines, (1) Don't stop the spread, and (2) don't stop you from getting it.

While it may or may not lessen the symptoms I believe our exposure has strengthened our immune system. I personally don't think there is a definitive answer in getting a handle on this but if the government was truly concerned for our safety they would start by stopping the thousands of unvaccinated people coming into our country through the southern border.

Not downplaying the virus by any means but the fact is the survival rate is over 99%, yes?
I have had the China Virus thought I was going to die, I would not go to hospital, went home with home oxygen, I got a steroid shot, and like a z-pack, for 7 days. Told if I got worse go to hospital. I have total faith in this doctor known him all his life, his dad was our family doctor. The second day a friend who went to school with my wife, call and ask if we wanted to try HCQ, we both said yes, that after which was the second day, he delivered the HCQ, after two doses I was off home oxygen. My recovery was very slow, however I waited about 10 days before I went to doctor in the beginning. My wife's china Virus was very light after about 3 weeks we were tested again. Both test were positive. We waited 90 before we took the vaccine, I now know that was a mistake. I should not have listened to the CDC, nor Fauci. I will not take any more vaccine. I have not worn a mask except at yearly check up for my heart. I was forced to wear the mask. I no longer have that doctor. Mask do not work, not do the vaccine's prevent the China virus, nor keeps you from spreading the China virus. I do take the flu shot each year since the flu shots became available, I have not had the flu since I began taking the flu shots.This is my story, and I will not change. Good Luck.

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #52
gearhead

I lost 2 good friends/coworkers early on. Betty and I both got the Moderna vaccines and booster. Two of our grandkids had it with mild symptoms. Just heard today our daughter inlaws grandmother has it. She has to be at least 80. Not a good future.
I wear a mask only when I have to. I worked around a lot of carcinogens and all field employees had to have mask fit tests annually with paper 3M masks to half masks to full face to Scott air paks. Those pretty fabric masks might be 25% effective at most. If it makes you feel better, go for it.
Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital recently announced they have a developed an effective vaccine that covers all variants and can be produced in mass easily.
Y'all stay safe out there. Happy New Year!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #53
travelin texans

Back in February I had a mild ear infection that caused severe vertigo, went to the ER where they ran numerous test including for Covid. The final diagnosis was a ear infection resulting in vertigo, ground glass pneumonia with a positive Covid test. I ask if the pneumonia was Covid to which the Dr said unless they extracted fluid from my lungs or tested spuetum I coughed up they couldn't tell & they weren't doing either, but the treatment would be the same regardless. Was sent home with antibiotics & a 10 quarantine order. About 2 days of antibiotics the vertigo was gone & I felt fine. The DW was nor affected & hasn't ever been Covid tested & has way more health issues than I do.
We both have had the Moderna shots & booster along with the flu shot & pneumonia shot. I'd suspect that from now on the Covid boosters will be recommended annually just like the flu.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #54
wiredgeorge

webmd says:
quote...Coronavirus. These tend to do their dirty work in the winter and early spring. The coronavirus is the cause of about 20% of colds. There are more than 30 kinds, but only three or four affect people. unquote

Seems the Covid-19 coronavirus wasn't in existence till the geniuses in a lab somewhere to the west of Texas started playing around with the bug that perhaps starts colds and supercharged it to see what zaniness they could cause. The common cold is often a coronavirus.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #55
wegone

I am vaxed, boostered, and mask....

Last Sunday, the 16th January, I came down with it quickly, the omicron.
Chills, tired, body ache and pretty goof headache.
first 3 days, slept a lot, no real fever, just really tired.
Then came the cough, still hanging on even today, tho not coughing up much, more nagging hack.

Still not 100%.

I swear the mask make my breathing worse.
I really struggle wearing them, suffocating.
I have a really good sense of smell, very sensitive to perfume, air fresheners, etc.
Not sure if that plays a part or not.

My wife got it too.

I've been sicker before; this is just a real PITA thing.

Not sure if we will ever get the truth about this whole event, just too much cover your azz anymore.
Damn shame too.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Way back in early 2020, a niece was hospitalized downstate with some "strange disease that caused breathing problems, blood clots in her legs and other symptoms. Her mom and dad (our neighbors) went down to spend the week at the hospital with her. They came back, coughing, hacking and feeling like they caught the flu. We came down with the same symptoms a week or so later. The 4 of us finally got better after weeks of feeling like crap....

I'm convinced we had "the original COVID-19" but can't prove it.

We got all our vaccinations, boosters, protect ourselves when we can "reasonably do so" but have stopped avoiding life situations in the name of trying to stay well.. In other words, we're going to funerals, weddings, birthday celebrations, and plan on family holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc... We just have decided that it's not worth living a shallow life in order to "stay healthy at all costs"...

So, we've probably had some exposures to the latest strains, and will likely be exposed to the next mutation that comes along...

We support doing what each individual feels is necessary for their safety and health. We do not support further paranoia that "something could happen if we don't <fill in the blank>"... It's time that we learn to live with Covid, just like we learned to live with Flu, common cold, STD's, HIV and all the other things that came along, from small pox to tuberculosis....

To us, it's more desirable to live life with some level of risk than it is to avoid life to avoid all risk (only to still get sick).... YMMV.

PS: Here's hoping you and yours get well soon !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #57
wegone

No, we can't avoid life, living in a bubble is not living.

My ex SIL was a very nervous sort.
She had a peanut allergy and swore that she'd go into shock by just smelling peanuts.
I am not really sure just how much you can really navigate through life under such constraint?
Now I do not recall growing up as a boomer that we had so many food allergies, nope, I don't recall any kids at school having to be fed different meals.
This ex SIL would take antibiotics if she was going to travel, "just in case" before she suffered any illness, or...
She seemed to get sicker and sicker.... looking, maybe from worry?

I do believe the body is best at achieving its own immune system, for its natural...
I recall it's the main reason babies were breast fed, now...formula, like it's trying to improve on what?

Maybe creating a market to sell folks stuff?
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with John and others that think along those lines. I was concerned initially about this "covid" thing until I researched it and everything that goes with it. The variants are not going to stop until we make them stop. I'm vaccinated, immunized, boosted many times over for everything that might come along - where does it end? Locked up in the home with a gas mask on waiting for someone to drop a cup of soup on the doorstep? Nah.

We've spent enough time being "fearful" of whatever the next pandemic "might" be that the news is going to hyperventilate about. I'm not missing out on what's left of my life by locking myself up, avoiding what I enjoy, missing important family occasions OR having fun. Hell, you're far more likely to die in a fatal car accident than from one of these flus. Should we just sell the vehicles and walk as well? Life has risk....accept it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #59
34kw

No one has ever said the vaccine will keep you getting it or keep you from spreading it. For some reason this is what the media and the administration wants us to believe, but they stop short of actually making that claim. It simply isn't true. The vaccine eases the symptoms if you do get covid. That's it. In some ways that can be worse because a vaccinated sick person might feel good enough to go to work and thus become a 'superspreader'. Like all the other coronaviruses, Covid 19 effects everyone differently. In my case it was like a head cold for a couple of days and that was it.
34kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #60
Ram Nation

Between my wife and my allergies it's hard to tell if we've had it or not. I seem to smell pretty good and taste ok so hopefully were ok. I have had the J&J and booster through VA. My wife says she's done and only got the original J&J. I know one thing though. Living in Brownsville it's not hard to figure out who's scared and who's not. Plenty of masks to go round down here.