Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #41
Ken / Claudia

I think a lot of the problems with pets/dogs is few will train them. I cannot imagine owning a untrained dog. Being that I have gone into many strangers homes and found loud barking, uncontrollable dogs. I do not think the RV world is much different.
I will say that my parents for some unknown reason needed 4 toy poodles and generations of them. None had any training and ruled their home. We group camped when my boys were young,with their grandparents. It ruined the camping fun for me and my family. They barked it seemed like all the time. When 1 started they all barked. Walking with them barking and trying to run all the time was to much. My Lab just minded his own business but they continued to attack him.
My lab would be lashed up laying next to me or my wife and they would come out of the motorhome with all the dogs leading them off leash right to the Lab and bark and bite at him. Than Dad would yell at the dogs, than mom, than young sister, but none would do anything to stop the dogs. 2nd trip like that we camped in the national forest. Lab was off leash and they started into my lab that time I did not stop my dog. The led poodle chased my dog around the chairs and got bit. I was the one in trouble. After that my boys grew up camping without their grandparents. But it was so much more relaxing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #42
Djfred60

We have 2 dogs that are better than kids. No arguing, temper tantrums or attitude. Oh and they luv us and greet us every time we enter the house with glee. We r looking for our second used rv, that was when the kids were toddlers. I do not understand why one would bring a dog into a restaurant. We have gone to outside tables that are accepting of dogs. We do not take to dog park due to some unfriendly animals and the potential illness. Instead we walk the dogs.
Also those traveling with crying yelling screaming obnoxious kids should consider the next neighboring camper. I camp for peace. So I’m guessing boondocking is for us.
Djfred60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #43
kshouse

Too many pets?

My husband and I have been married 50 years. We've spent most of those years bringing up our children and working. We really have never been able to take many vacations and chose to stay home rather than leave our dachshunds with someone who may not care for them as we would. We finally decided to buy a travel trailer so that we could go and take them with us. They're part of our family and if they can't go, we don't go. I realize that a lot of people do not feel about their pets the way we do but there's a lot that do. We mostly camp in state parks and we don't leave them alone. We enjoy the campsite and either cook there or one of us goes out for food. I can't tell you how much we've enjoyed the past 3 years. So that's the why of it!
kshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #44
notanlines

Fred, I'm afraid that you probably will not find an RV park in the US that will make you happy. And, to be honest, you better find a boondocking spot a long way from families camping and having fun. We tend to get a little loud!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #45
NHcamper

Good god. Different things for different folks. As long as the pets (multiple or single) are not bothering you, are not being hurt (really and not just your opinion) and fit within the parks guidelines then BUTT OUT.

We take our furry friend with us whenever we go camping. In fact we pick out a campground based on them allowing pets and are not breed specific. Yes, we have a pittie. She can't be put in a kennel as she does have separation anxiety.

Again, if you don't like animals (single or multiple) go to another campground.

I for one prefer a dog over most folks that I have met.
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcamper View Post
Good god. Different things for different folks. As long as the pets (multiple or single) are not bothering you, are not being hurt (really and not just your opinion) and fit within the parks guidelines then BUTT OUT.

We take our furry friend with us whenever we go camping. In fact we pick out a campground based on them allowing pets and are not breed specific. Yes, we have a pittie. She can't be put in a kennel as she does have separation anxiety.

Again, if you don't like animals (single or multiple) go to another campground.

I for one prefer a dog over most folks that I have met.

As one that has a dog, that has been trained and that we reinforce the training daily, I have to disagree wholeheartedly. As long as it's not bothering "you"? I can't imagine that; what about everyone else? YOU? I've watched folks letting their dogs ,and kids, do unimaginable things because it didn't bother "them". Silly.

You pick out campgrounds that aren't "breed specific"? What does that mean to you? If they allow "your breed" you let it run amok in the campground? You let folks like me control it and "bring it to ground" for you?

Your attitude is exactly why there are limitations on pups, and it's growing. It's not my responsibility to put up with your untrained, unmanaged and unwatched dog....because they allow it? Your post kind of leaves me in ???

"If I don't like dogs go to another campground?" Trained, well behaved dogs, I agree. Nowadays there are so many folks that just let Fido run loose thinking how wonderful he/she is and abide by your above sentiments believing others should "deal with it"....PLEASE don't run into me....you may not have FIDO any longer. I won't go to another campground to let you let your pup run amok due to your lack of ownership. Sorry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:28 AM   #47
Halcyon

We show Shetland Sheepdogs in herding, agility, conformation and obedience. We use the 5er to go to shows. Now, since they are our kids as well, they go with us on vacation. Took out a recliner in the trailer, put in 5 metal crates in that spot. Put 4 crates in the back of the pickup. One gets to ride shotgun. We recently took 4 on a two week vacation from Colorado to Oregon. Since they are show dogs and obedience trained, they are, in my humble opinion, quieter and easier to manage than human kids. Can’t imagine not taking my “kids” with us when we travel. Can’t leave them home!
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 AM   #48
notanlines

I believe the statement "Yes, we have a pittie." pretty much says it all. That's such a pity...
36 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2018. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 72% (26) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 7% of the total U.S. dog population. Credit both to www.dogsbite.org.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif
Views:	117
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	23844  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 09-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #49
Ccrew

I'll weigh in on the multiple dogs thing. We camp, and we camp with 2 German Shepherds. They are not show dogs. The reason for two quite honestly is before we had these two we had another (who passed) - We always felt he would have been happier with a playmate. When we decided to get another the opportunity arose to get not one but two rescue pups. They are now 7 years old, well trained, and well behaved. They go with us everywhere. We have never had any issue camping with them, and while those that may say things negative haven't, we've heard nothing but praise. They get walked, we find open areas and run them, and for the most part unless you walk onto the campsite you wouldn't know they're there. I have actually as a pet owner a harsher view of owners that leave theirs in a camper that barks for hours while they go away. Ours go with us everywhere, and if they can't, we simply don't do it.

And the decision to have two was a good one in that these are a bonded pair, and are at times hysterical to watch interact. Only thing that now concerns us is how the other reacts when one passes.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:42 AM   #50
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You pick out campgrounds that aren't "breed specific"? What does that mean to you? If they allow "your breed" you let it run amok in the campground? You let folks like me control it and "bring it to ground" for you?
As per my previous post we camp with two German Shepherds. There are indeed campgrounds that for whatever purpose, be it insurance etc do allow pets but don't allow specific breeds. Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotts, German Shepherds, Chows are a few that come to mind. I think you're overreaching in your suppositions.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
As per my previous post we camp with two German Shepherds. There are indeed campgrounds that for whatever purpose, be it insurance etc do allow pets but don't allow specific breeds. Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotts, German Shepherds, Chows are a few that come to mind. I think you're overreaching in your suppositions.
Most campgrounds are "breed specific" anymore. Some due to size, some due to fear or pure ignorance. The tone of the email you reference, which said paraphrased "if you don't like it, leave the campground", is the reason for my questions - "suppositions". That kind of thought pattern can lead to unhappy circumstances in a campground...…

Little brother finally agreed to come see us in FL a few years back after asking him for the longest. Brought his new RV and truck down to see us. He also brought his 2 dogs; one about 8 months old, 25lbs. and growing, the other 8-9 if I recall and maybe 10 lbs. A very cute puppy.

There was a camper there that sounded a lot like the post I responded to; on/off leash about 50% of the time, did what it wanted and the owners seemed just thrilled with its antics. I spoke to him, others spoke to him and his take was similar - hey, I'm in control, he obeys, we take care of him, it's none of your business etc. A few days later little brother was out walking the little dog and this guy's dog, about 90 lbs. and rock solid, came shooting out of his campsite, unrestrained, and grabbed the little puppy in its mouth, by the belly - punctured it all the way through. Of course, now the owner was all apologetic, had no idea this could happen, etc. etc. Brother took puppy to the animal hospital and well over a thousand bucks later had puppy back with the whole belly opened up then sewn shut. I told brother to call the sheriff, have the man cited and the dog taken away but he wouldn't. About 6 weeks later he called and told me the dog had died from infection resulting from the bite.

I don't know the poster's intent, but all dogs, every one, has to be watched and kept under control at all times because, as a trainer once told me; "they're dogs". It's not my, your or anyone else's job to watch out for, or listen to, another person's dog because it is "allowed". As a note, I love dogs of all kinds including pit bulls. I've met some of the lovingest, lickingest dogs in the world that were pits; and I've met some of the meanest, scariest dogs that were pits. In each case the dog was a reflection of the owner and his/her intentions IMO.

Sorry for the long post(s) but it seems at every campground you stay in for a week or more dogs, and their owners, are a topic of constant discussion among those there. IMO it shouldn't be that way, just as "kids" and their antics shouldn't have to be a topic of conversation among all the bystanders.

And, since I've written all this, I would urge one more thing; don't use "retractable" leashes - use a solid leash strong enough for your dog. I can't count the times I've seen the handles yanked from peoples hands or the owner unable to get the leash locked down. I use a solid leash approx. 3/4" in diameter with a loop at the end that I wrap around my wrist. Puppy might pull me over but she's not going anywhere because she is going to be dragging 200lbs. behind her.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #52
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Most campgrounds are "breed specific" anymore. Some due to size, some due to fear or pure ignorance. The tone of the email you reference, which said paraphrased "if you don't like it, leave the campground", is the reason for my questions - "suppositions". That kind of thought pattern can lead to unhappy circumstances in a campground...…

Little brother finally agreed to come see us in FL a few years back after asking him for the longest. Brought his new RV and truck down to see us. He also brought his 2 dogs; one about 8 months old, 25lbs. and growing, the other 8-9 if I recall and maybe 10 lbs. A very cute puppy.

There was a camper there that sounded a lot like the post I responded to; on/off leash about 50% of the time, did what it wanted and the owners seemed just thrilled with its antics. I spoke to him, others spoke to him and his take was similar - hey, I'm in control, he obeys, we take care of him, it's none of your business etc. A few days later little brother was out walking the little dog and this guy's dog, about 90 lbs. and rock solid, came shooting out of his campsite, unrestrained, and grabbed the little puppy in its mouth, by the belly - punctured it all the way through. Of course, now the owner was all apologetic, had no idea this could happen, etc. etc. Brother took puppy to the animal hospital and well over a thousand bucks later had puppy back with the whole belly opened up then sewn shut. I told brother to call the sheriff, have the man cited and the dog taken away but he wouldn't. About 6 weeks later he called and told me the dog had died from infection resulting from the bite.

I don't know the poster's intent, but all dogs, every one, has to be watched and kept under control at all times because, as a trainer once told me; "they're dogs". It's not my, your or anyone else's job to watch out for, or listen to, another person's dog because it is "allowed". As a note, I love dogs of all kinds including pit bulls. I've met some of the lovingest, lickingest dogs in the world that were pits; and I've met some of the meanest, scariest dogs that were pits. In each case the dog was a reflection of the owner and his/her intentions IMO.

Sorry for the long post(s) but it seems at every campground you stay in for a week or more dogs, and their owners, are a topic of constant discussion among those there. IMO it shouldn't be that way, just as "kids" and their antics shouldn't have to be a topic of conversation among all the bystanders.

And, since I've written all this, I would urge one more thing; don't use "retractable" leashes - use a solid leash strong enough for your dog. I can't count the times I've seen the handles yanked from peoples hands or the owner unable to get the leash locked down. I use a solid leash approx. 3/4" in diameter with a loop at the end that I wrap around my wrist. Puppy might pull me over but she's not going anywhere because she is going to be dragging 200lbs. behind her.
Well said!
I totally agree!
If you have a pet in a campground, or any public place, it absolutely must be be on a good sturdy leash being held onto or tied off securely, can't get tell you how many times I've seen dogs hauling butt across the campsites dragging a retractable leash behind. Regardless of how well mannered, well trained unless you are the "dog whisperer" you have no idea what your pet is capable of under certain circumstances, they are after all animals whether you consider them as family or not.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #53
Lahooie

That's funny you ask why people travel with their pets...we bought our travel trailer specifically because we didn't want to travel anywhere WITHOUT them! We used to fly to destinations but always had to get a pup sitter to stay at the house and we would always worry about the little guys while we were gone. Also at $50/daily rate for the pup sitter, it gets expensive to leave for a week to 10 days. We only have two small dogs so maybe four would be a bit much but ours are well behaved, we don't let them bark at anyone, we clean up immediately after them, they don't shed and they don't damage the trailer. Now, my husband and I don't have any children, but my question would be more like: "Why do people who have 4 children travel with them!" Lol ha ha
Lahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #54
NHcamper

My "you" was generic and did not mean one person but "as long as they are not bothering ANYONE".

As to the silly statement "you pick out campgrounds that aren't "breed specific"? What does that mean to you? If they allow "your breed" you let it run amok in the campground? You let folks like me control it and "bring it to ground" for you?

I can't figure out how you made that transition Danny. There are campgrounds that won't allow certain breeds and all I said was then we find another campground NBD. My Pittie has NEVER been off leash in a campground for all of her 11 years. She is always leashed. I can't say that for others , regardless of breed. She has never made trouble and in fact others love to come and pet and play with her as she loves to have her belly rubbed.

Simple with me. Campgrounds have rules that are made for the good for all (most of them). If you don't follow the rules then it is up to the campground owner to ask you to or to leave. So, whether you have one 1 Lb. pup or 5 65 Lb. pups if you follow ther rules all should be good.

Why judge your neighbor and make a big deal out of something as simple as following rules My Pittie sends you a tail wag and hopes you will stop saying bad things about her or her human daddy without meeting her. That's how prejustice begins.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcamper View Post
My "you" was generic and did not mean one person but "as long as they are not bothering ANYONE".

As to the silly statement "you pick out campgrounds that aren't "breed specific"? What does that mean to you? If they allow "your breed" you let it run amok in the campground? You let folks like me control it and "bring it to ground" for you?

I can't figure out how you made that transition Danny. There are campgrounds that won't allow certain breeds and all I said was then we find another campground NBD. My Pittie has NEVER been off leash in a campground for all of her 11 years. She is always leashed. I can't say that for others , regardless of breed. She has never made trouble and in fact others love to come and pet and play with her as she loves to have her belly rubbed.

Simple with me. Campgrounds have rules that are made for the good for all (most of them). If you don't follow the rules then it is up to the campground owner to ask you to or to leave. So, whether you have one 1 Lb. pup or 5 65 Lb. pups if you follow ther rules all should be good.

Why judge your neighbor and make a big deal out of something as simple as following rules My Pittie sends you a tail wag and hopes you will stop saying bad things about her or her human daddy without meeting her. That's how prejustice begins.
If I misinterpreted your post I apologize. It just sure sounded like the guy in the situation I related. I also agree that if you are following the rules, and have dogs that are behaved, it makes no difference to me. As I said, I love dogs and I love pit bulls (to me it's dog specific, not breed specific).

Also, I'm not trying to judge you or your dog, I was judging your position by my interpretation of what you said - which seemed a little strong. Tell puppy I'm not saying bad things about daddy and that I just told my pup that I was talking to another pup and she sends a tail wag back.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #56
NHcamper

THANK YOU for your reply. Sometimes what I think I wrote doesn't come out that way to others. Puppy is happy as is her dad. Havea great day. BTW, I really do enjoy your posts on a variety of topics. They are well thought out and quite knowledgeable.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #57
gearhead

Jeez I could write pages, but I just throw some random thoughts out there...
I grew up with hunting dogs, usually from 1 to 3. They stayed in a pen next to the barn. If they didn't hunt, they didn't stay long. They got tied to the truck bumper and pulled down a dirt road to get in shape for hunting season. They were fed mostly table scraps.
I've had 3 dogs, the DW's peekapoo, an Irish Setter, and a dauchshound. All been gone 20+ years.
There were a couple posts about dogs filling psychological holes. I'll agree to that 110%. That idea may deserve further thought.
My fishing buddy down street drives around town with some kind of little dog with its' head out the drivers window and its' rear end in his face. Stupidly hilarious.
Some of you think your dogs are well behaved are probably ones that leave your poodle in the RV alone and it yaps for hours, and hours, and hours.
Please don't encourage your dog to lick your grandkids on the lips. You know what that dog was licking just before.
I have called the police numerous times on both my next door neighbors. One had 2 bully dogs that charged against my fence whenever I stepped out my back door. When the police chief witnessed it he about beat their front door down and they did something with the dogs. They both died 2 weeks later. They think I did it. I thought about it.
Other neighbor had a cur and shepherd. Both barked constantly. Bicycles drove them crazy. The police chiefs wife was riding down the street and the shepherd charged out looking like he was going to pull her down. I charged out too and maybe saved? her. I don't know. I did have a 357 in my pocket and sorta hoped I could use it.
My son has 2 dogs. A black mouth cur and rescue. Both well trained. Sometimes with a steel toe boot. They are good watch dogs, mind well, and kill all snakes they meet.

I like dogs. Their owners, sometimes not too much.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #58
notanlines

“Sometimes with a steel toe boot.“
Man, I could have gone all day without wishing that a certain dog would bite it’s owner’s nads.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #59
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“Sometimes with a steel toe boot.“
Man, I could have gone all day without wishing that a certain dog would bite it’s owner’s nads.
Me too.,..
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #60
gearhead

My son has progressed to a shock collar if that makes you feel better. Rarely used.
Either the dog or the owner has to be alpha dog. If not you, the dog.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote