Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #21
Rockivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I hate the friction hinges on our Laredo, in the wind the door still get blown open or closed! Solution looking for a condition that did not exist. It is a double wammie with the Lippert fold in steps.
100% agreed, we have a new 33RLI Cougar and the Friction Door is a GIANT Pain in the A.. I don't kno how many times with one full hand you open the door and it opens 3 inches and you drop what your carrying, or when you go to closwe the door you have to slam the thing to get it to close, my brother has an Imagine with no friction hinge and my God is that way better, like you said solution in search of a problem, if its eindy hold the door!!!

So from what I see here you have to take the top and bottom hinges bascially apart and remove the friction pin from the hinge and reassemble, will have to take a look at my door its an LCI so should be the same as everyone elses.
Rockivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #22
ChrisB

For my door we drilled out all three hinges. We had to glue the panels back together because my door was coming apart due to the stress the hinges were putting on the door. We used contact cement and it has been flawless since. The door closes so easily now. Good luck hope the plan we presented gives you the results you want. We don't have small kids going in and out so the door does not get left open in the wind without being tied. So it doesn't slam shut or open. Good luck
Old 08-23-2022, 02:55 AM   #23
GMH

[QUOTE=mike95776;463255]
I got the door catch installed...

Thankfully I don’t have friction hinges(first photo)on my old 2010 Cougar! For anyone else installing these door holders, they should be installed 90 degrees to the second photo. The rod should hang down when not in use, then lifted up and dropped down into the receptacle on the door. That way a breeze can’t cause it to come unlatched. Good luck with your doors folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B8E8808-B215-416D-B57C-5E16D6B2A056.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	41334  
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2022, 03:53 AM   #24
ChrisB

Looks good. Hard to find good anchor points. We were considering the pneumatic shock and figured it needed to be at the top of the door so as not to interfere with the new fold in steps we want. But we have been swinging free since I posted this original thread, and it has not been an issue.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:58 PM   #25
RVRoadramblers

Updates?

I see that this thread is from a while back, which besides providing a lot of good information also tells me that this issue with the friction hinges that I have also recently discovered on my 2016 Montana 3710FL has been around for longer than I had thought. And also has me wondering if anyone has discovered any other solutions for this other than what has been suggested previously? And is it possible to just disable a couple of the friction points to just decrease the friction to a point that still provides a small amount of tension without compromising the integrity of the door? I have to admit that I am (as it seems) one of very few who actually likes having the friction hinges for it's intended purpose but have unfortunately become subject to it's undesirable side-effects.
RVRoadramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:10 PM   #26
ChrisB

Good luck, I too enjoyed my friction hinges until they started to destroy my door. We stopped using the main door until we started having similar effects on the secondary door. Then it had to be addressed before we had to repair the other door as well. The repair has held up well and we are very pleased with the result still. Had to fix new problems since then. We used the original center pin in the hinge but not the door lines up great and closes very easily as it should. Thanks to the help of my brother in law.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #27
RVRoadramblers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Good luck, I too enjoyed my friction hinges until they started to destroy my door. We stopped using the main door until we started having similar effects on the secondary door. Then it had to be addressed before we had to repair the other door as well. The repair has held up well and we are very pleased with the result still. Had to fix new problems since then. We used the original center pin in the hinge but not the door lines up great and closes very easily as it should. Thanks to the help of my brother in law.
It's a shame that they have yet to figure out a way to construct these things better. I'll more than likely end up following your solution to resolve but was just checking to see if there were any alternatives that might meet me halfway before I dive into it. Part of my procrastinating process you see! Lol
One thing on your last post you stated "We used the original center pin in the hinge but not the door", I'm not following you on that, could you clarify for me?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #28
ChrisB

Not should have been "NOW" typing on my chicklet phone keyboard that likes to auto correct things in an incorrect way.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:42 PM   #29
RVRoadramblers

Ahhh, gotcha!! (thumbs-up emoji) Gotta love the magic of auto-correct (face-palm emoji) Perhaps that will be a sort-of virus for the future AI Bots! Lol
Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2023, 03:57 AM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

I like our hinge but I do lube it with silicon spray every month or two.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:58 PM   #31
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I like our hinge but I do lube it with silicon spray every month or two.
Pull off the cap on the top of the hinge. I drip 3-in-one oil in there and replace the caps.