Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with ChuckS. Sometimes people are "their own worst enemy" by overthinking the "legaleze in owner's manuals". For example, the Ford owner's manual (and all the others) say to only use Motorcraft products to care for your new Ford. And, there are enough "tape tags" on a new 6' extension cord that you can hardly tell what color it is until you "remove all the warning tags" so you can actually grip the insulated wire. Not to mention the Tide Pod package that warns not to eat them.....

Like ChuckS said, the majority of the forum members (not just him) have been jacking trailer axles "at the U-bolt" for decades and never damaged an axle. You can do what you wish with your equipment, but the "tried and true method of jacking trailer axles for maintenance" is not to build a "wood Jenga" under the trailer frame while it's sitting in the driveway so you can regrease the bearings and check the brakes. Rather, it's putting a jack under the U-bolts and jacking the tire an inch or so off the ground and "git-er-dun".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:27 AM   #22
travelin texans

I had a piece welded to fit the top of a bottle jack with a piece of angle iron to fit over the axles & u bolts for safely using a bottle jack, wish I knew where it was now.
The biggest issue with a bottle jack, especially with a flat, if you don't have to short stubby jack it won't fit under axle & you'll still to pull onto blocks.
Whatever you chose, blocks, ramps or jacks try it out before you need it to insure what you have will work. Also check your spare inflation regularly & try it on the rv, most rvs have aluminum wheels with a steel spare that the lug nuts may not tighten down on the steel wheel. My last 5er was that way, bought 8 nuts to use in case I ever had to use the spare.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #23
SoCalAngler

Well, the Trailer Aid Plus worked great! Tried it for front and rear wheels; it lifted each wheel about 1"-2". Real happy about this!!

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. If it weren't for some of you with real world experience using TAP on leaf spring axles, I probably wouldn't have tried it. Glad I did!

Now on to bearing and brake service....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4109.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	41846  
Old 10-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #24
bretrider

I use trailerlegs for storage of my trailer and to change tires or bearing maintenance. I carry two with me when traveling in case of a flat tire. Kinda expensive but if they improve the life of my tires, well worth it. https://trailerlegs.com/
bretrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #25
STJ

along the same lines as this thread started what about mileage or time intervals or checking brakes and servicing wheel bearings I have a 2019 Keystone outback 301UBH with about 20,000 miles on the trailer. Florida Grand Canyon about this time next year thinking I would like to check and service everything before the trip.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #26
MJCougler

Tire Jacking...

A few things no one has mentioned: When I travel, I have four 6x6s and 2x10s that I carry in the truck bed to put under my 4-auto level jack feet. When on the side of the road, these 2x10s should be placed under the bottle jacks when on dirt surfaces. Also, if you drive onto a curved tire lifter using the "good" tire, all the weight for that side of the trailer is now on that one tire. Granted, there is no rolling "heat" being developed on that one tire, but what is that "overweight" doing to the good tire, even during the slow-down distance traveled when the other tire on that side blows?

Also, every "auto" leveling system or even the manual systems state to NEVER use the leveling system to support the entire weight of the trailer.

My assumption is to put the bottle jack under the tire you intend to change, to service the wheel bearings, or to check the brake pads. Also, a short piece of 2x6 could be placed under BOTH U-bolts above the bottle jack, to spread out the weight on the U-bolts.

You can also use the four 6x6s and a 2x10 to build a "cribbing" under the bottle jack to lift from the frame (or axles) if necessary to put the bottle jack under the frame or U-bolt area of the axles. And, I assume it makes sense to squish that small section or chloroplast to use the center of the I-beam frame.

And, I just learned about the Bottle Jack Buddies in this post; Thanks! Great idea!.

My 2-cents,
Old 10-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #27
fjr vfr

I think the OP might be misunderstanding about a bent axle. They are not talking about bending the axle, as in making flat spots from the jack. The axle has a built in curve upward. The concern is deflecting the curve which would change the wheels camber. You won't bend flat spots into the axle jacking between the U bolts.
To the last post, you will not hurt the one tire having it support the weight while working on the other wheel. If it were that fragile you'd be ruining tires every time you go over a big bump in the road. The weight is continuingly being shifted back and forth along the ride.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote