Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
sherol roy

need help finding wh bypass valve

I have a 2011 Avalanche 290rl that I am trying to winterize for the first time using the pink antifreeze. I read the directions in the manual and it says to shut off the valve behind the hot water heater. I found it behind a panel and turned the valve pointing straight up. But when we turn the water pump on to pull antifreeze through the lines it is still pouring out of the hot water heater drain. Is there another shutoff somewhere else?
Old 09-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherol roy View Post
I have a 2011 Avalanche 290rl that I am trying to winterize for the first time using the pink antifreeze. I read the directions in the manual and it says to shut off the valve behind the hot water heater. I found it behind a panel and turned the valve pointing straight up. But when we turn the water pump on to pull antifreeze through the lines it is still pouring out of the hot water heater drain. Is there another shutoff somewhere else?
The valve you found points in the direction of travel of water to the water heater. My valve is on a horizontal piece of pex that feeds the water into the water heater. If I turn mine up, it points to another piece of pex which leads to the cold water out. You might want to post a picture. Another simple test would be to turn the valve in the other direction and see if the water pump still pushes water through the hot water heater tank.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

You could have 2 valves or if there is only one valve then it will have a check valve on the other line. The check valve could be stuck open.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
Nankipoo

I found out on mine that if the fresh water holding tank drain was open underneath, the antifreeze kept coming out the hot water heater drain. Shut it and the antifreeze did it's job. Not sure why that would have an effect on it but it did mine. Maybe check that.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
sherol roy

Any idea what to do if it is stuck open?
Old 09-19-2022, 03:51 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

"Stuck open" is either a defective valve or possibly you're turning it the wrong way ??? In some water conditions, calcium or other minerals can bind the valve, but typically that doesn't happen, so I'd make sure you're twisting the valve the correct direction. Sometimes they are "tight" but with force, will turn. Otherwise, you may need to replace the bad valve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote