Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #41
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Both of those swivel boxes failed. Never use anything but a solid pin box.
I used the Andersen with the rotoflex block out kit for 3 years and now have been using the Pullrite 2600 with their version of the rotoflex block out kit for the past 3 years. No issues. The block out kit prevents the rotoflex from rotating, basically making it a solid pin box. Andersen and Pullrite both make their own version of the kit for use with their hitches. That’s not what caused the failure in the pictures.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #42
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I was looking at a real nice 5th wheel that was for sale in Lakehills and it had a swivel pin box. I contacted Andersen and they said it would have to be changed out for a regular pin box in order for it to work with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I didn't have the money for the 5th wheel so it went no farther.
Are you sure they didn’t confuse what you were talking about with something like a sidewinder pin box? It cannot be used with those. Here’s the link to the Andersen page where it specifically states this is what you use with the rotoflex and Andersen Ultimate

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...x-lockout-kit/
Old 07-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Are you sure they didn’t confuse what you were talking about with something like a sidewinder pin box? It cannot be used with those. Here’s the link to the Andersen page where it specifically states this is what you use with the rotoflex and Andersen Ultimate

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...x-lockout-kit/
I don't recall the specific brand of the hitch but it rotated for some reason. I called Andersen and confirmed it was not to be used. It was a couple years ago so specifics are foggy. I did ask about it on this forum in a thread.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #44
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Hitch Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by art m View Post
hi guys wife wants a 5th wheel , she let me upgrade the tw from a 2019 ram 2500 with the hemi to a 2022 chevrolet 2500 with the diesel. since i havent ever towed a 5th wheel im now trying to figure out the best hitch setup. my friend has an anderson,one of my customers says a bw companion ,and ive heard about a gooseneck set up . just looking for information and this seemed like a good place to ask
I changed my 5th wheel attachment to a Reese Air Ride Goose Box. I love it. All I have in the bed of my truck is a Reese Flip Over ball. I can flip the ball over and have a clean FLAT floor with nothing taking up space. And yes, the Reese Goose Box is the only Keystone Alpine approved gooseneck ball hitch that does NOT void the frame warranty.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I changed my 5th wheel attachment to a Reese Air Ride Goose Box. I love it. All I have in the bed of my truck is a Reese Flip Over ball. I can flip the ball over and have a clean FLAT floor with nothing taking up space. And yes, the Reese Goose Box is the only Keystone Alpine approved gooseneck ball hitch that does NOT void the frame warranty.

The Keystone letter only addressed "gooseneck adapters" placed on the pin box. It did not speak to conventional 5th wheel hitches that used the goose ball in the bed for attachment. From reading it many, many times I believe the intent is the perceived added stress from the adapter placed on the pin, not how it's attached to the bed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #46
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Since you have an air ride pin box, I would highly recommend the B&W companion hitch. I had one, I really liked it. It would work perfectly with your PIN box.

Since the head comes off of the pivot cradle fairly easy, and you can remove it from your truck in two pieces, it's manageable. It's heavy, but it's manageable.

I do not recommend the Anderson hitch with anything but a rigid pin box. There are problems associated with the Kingpin being able to move, even with the restraints used in some instances. Just better not to take the chance.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #47
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Since you have an air ride pin box, I would highly recommend the B&W companion hitch. I had one, I really liked it. It would work perfectly with your PIN box.

Since the head comes off of the pivot cradle fairly easy, and you can remove it from your truck in two pieces, it's manageable. It's heavy, but it's manageable.

I do not recommend the Anderson hitch with anything but a rigid pin box. There are problems associated with the Kingpin being able to move, even with the restraints used in some instances. Just better not to take the chance.
I think you misunderstood what he has. He has a Goosebox, connects directly to his ball, no hitch required.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #48
WDPatterson

I just noticed. I must have replied to the wrong comment.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch