Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
1tenor

AC Quiet

The noise from my Dometic AC in my travel trailer has been deafening--far louder than the motorhome we owned previously. The noise wasn't coming from the compressor, you could hardly hear it cycle off/on over the roar of the blower.

I read a lot of posts from others here and on other RV sites and most said, that's just how it is with a non-ducted system. I decided to see if I couldn't improve upon that so today I went to my home away from home, AKA, Home Depot and picked up two rolls of closed foam tape. I took the air distribution box down from the ceiling. There are 8 screws that hold it in plus the knobs that just pull off. Four are a little hard to find, you have to remove the louvers on each end to get to them (carefully pry them out). Leave the knobs for last.

When I got it down I saw that the bottom of the air distribution box is pretty well covered with a very thin sheet of closed foam, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick. This is most likely to prevent condensation from collecting on the box. I took my sclosed foam tape which is 3/8 thick, cut it into strips and covered that thin sheet. It took most of the two rolls. I'm sure you can get that product in a sheet which would work better, but I wasn't sure what I was getting into till I took down the box.

I reinstalled the air distribution box, connected the trailer to AC power and fired up the AC. It really made quite a difference in the noise. I am very pleased with the result. That was about $12 well spent.

Can't wait to get on the road again and test it in the "real world".
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're not satisfied with your mod after using it, take a look at the WACKO RV A/C silencer kit: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/WackO...it-p/da100.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
1tenor

The Wacko product only works on ducted systems. Mine is non-ducted, so it would not work for me.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Sarge2

I'm no cheapskate but 12 bucks vs 200... sounds like good deal to me...
I did notice the Ducted thing but thought maybe I was mistaken...
Good job 1tenor
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote