Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
Firemedic1385

Adding slide toppers

I’m looking for advice/information. I have a 2019 315RLS, I want to add slide toppers to my three slide outs. I have watched several install videos, it seems straightforward, but my question is about the awning rail. Other than a ton screws holding it to the side wall, does there have to be a header it gets screwed into? What holds it secure to the side wall? Keystone keeps referring me to an authorized dealer, but I don’t trust someone who is trying to sell a product.
Firemedic1385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. If your unit didn’t come from the factory with topper rails installed, then you can add them. As a rule we use putty tape on the rail, and then just screw into the sidewall. The putty is very sticky and helps hold the rail. You need to take care not to tighten the screws to tight and stripping out the hole.

Some brands are easier to install, if your unsure then the dealer can be a good choice as there is most likely a tech that does them all the time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the recent model Cougars and Cougar Half Tons that I've seen have a OEM drip rail over each silde. Most slide covers are sold with an awning rail insert provided in the kit.

There are three ways to install the awning rail. First, you can buy an optional "drip rail/awning rail" aluminum molding to replace the OEM drip rail and slide the slide cover awning into the new awning rail molding.

Second, you can install the provided awning rail that came with the kit "just below the existing drip rail"... I found that on my trailer, the OEM drip rail was where I needed to install the awning rail.

So, the third option: Remove the OEM drip rail, install the awning rail in its place (there's usually a backer strip in that location) and then reinstall the OEM drip rail above the awning rail. This is what I did, sort of "double protection" against water leaking into the awning rail seam should the slide cover pull it away from (or loosen it) the trailer wall.

As for the need for a "backer plate", many trailers have slide covers that are simply screwed into the FILON sidewall. Essentially, if you use BUTYL putty tape under the awning rail, the screws AND butyl putty tape will hold it securely whether it's in a backer plate or just in the FILON.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
msubobcats

Should a person be a bit nervous about maybe causing a leak and having warranty issues? We are debating having them installed on our two longer slides but I don't think I want to take a chance.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Dave W

I installed Dometic toppers last year on the 4 slides of our 343RL Montana. There are good on line instructions for these toppers and are pretty simple to install. Carefree and LCI Solara instructions are confusing but decent. It averaged about 2.5 hours each to install with the first one much longer - lotsa screws!

Ours came from Makarios but they seem to have recently closed their doors.

The Dometics came with awning rails cut to the proper length plus, hopefully, the correct screws. 3 sets of mine were missing so was given a credit and bought them from Amazon

You can use silicone or as suggested butyl tape. I used both, switching to butyl after slobbering silicone on the 5ers side - oops.

It does require two people to slide the awning fabric into the rails though I did one when I couldn't find my helper.

I extended each slide about a foot as a makeshift table

You will also need two ladders - 8 footers work best.

Read the instructions and understand what needs to be done and in what sequence. Don't even think of pulling the locking cotter pins untill the topper and brackets are installed. One of mine had a spring evidently dislodged in transit. Had to drill out a couple pop rivets, reattach the spring. rerivet then rewind that spring (13 turns)

Buy extra screws even if they ship all of them. The supplied aren't the best as the square drive holes tend to wallow out, especially the larger bracket screws. I used Makita extra hard drive bits. You will need to pre drill for the bracket screws.

Good luck. Not a difficult DIY project, just time consuming
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Hey Louie

Dave W hit it on the head. Plan it out and think it thru several times. With the help of a friend we just installed 5 on my Alpine. I was fortunate that the awning rails were already mounted. It took us right about 5 hours to get them all on. We did not have to do any predrilling but it was helpful to have an impact driver for the screws that went thru the mounting plate into the rods on the end of the toppers.

Etrailer has several good videos showing the procedure.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All of the recent model Cougars and Cougar Half Tons that I've seen have a OEM drip rail over each silde. Most slide covers are sold with an awning rail insert provided in the kit.

There are three ways to install the awning rail. First, you can buy an optional "drip rail/awning rail" aluminum molding to replace the OEM drip rail and slide the slide cover awning into the new awning rail molding.

Second, you can install the provided awning rail that came with the kit "just below the existing drip rail"... I found that on my trailer, the OEM drip rail was where I needed to install the awning rail.

So, the third option: Remove the OEM drip rail, install the awning rail in its place (there's usually a backer strip in that location) and then reinstall the OEM drip rail above the awning rail. This is what I did, sort of "double protection" against water leaking into the awning rail seam should the slide cover pull it away from (or loosen it) the trailer wall.

As for the need for a "backer plate", many trailers have slide covers that are simply screwed into the FILON sidewall. Essentially, if you use BUTYL putty tape under the awning rail, the screws AND butyl putty tape will hold it securely whether it's in a backer plate or just in the FILON.
As I am thinking about adding slide toppers, this helps me greatly. I am in your "second" option, the drip rail is right where I need to install the awning rail. I really like your "third option" as I did not think of reinstalling the drip rail above the awning rail. Thanks!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
As I am thinking about adding slide toppers, this helps me greatly. I am in your "second" option, the drip rail is right where I need to install the awning rail. I really like your "third option" as I did not think of reinstalling the drip rail above the awning rail. Thanks!

I did the above as well....long and hard trying to take everything into consideration. Finally decided "what the heck" and had them add them to the new trailer. Well, I wish I could say I thought they were worth the money but so far I can't. I have to say we've only taken 2 trips with them; this one has been about 5 weeks long so far.

When it is hot and sunny they MAY provide a little heat relief from the tops of the slides but they are light colored anyway. When we took it out for 4 days in W TX all I did was worry about them being torn off as they popped and snapped in the W TX wind. Unlike the awning that you can retract, the only way to retract a slide topper is to retract the slide. Very inconvenient if you are staying in the unit and something I won't do. If they rip off then that's just the way it will be and they won't go back. Here in FL (the 5 week trip) we've had some popping but not a lot. We have however had a ton of rain. I've never minded rain getting on top of a slide and never had an issue with it. The toppers however present their own issues. One of the large slides begins close to the entry door. The entry is covered by the awning BUT depending on the direction of the wind the topper will dump water directly onto the steps at whatever may be the most inopportune time - perfect to walk out the door, turn around to say something to DW and get dumped on.

So for us the jury is out on the things. I figured they would be worth it if we camped under trees which I've always avoided with the slides. After my first experience with slides under trees and sitting for months (cleaning every few weeks) I said at that point I wanted toppers, but I quit doing that (camping under trees). I do have my eye on a different campground for this winter that will put me directly under a lot of trees so my assessment may change come spring. Just something to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
DanielH

I have a 2019 Cougar 29RKS with a drip rail above the slides. On the large slide and on the slide I want to install a topper the factory installed drip rail is off center. It begins even with the slide in the back of the rv and ends much past the slide in the front. So if I remove the factory drip rail the topper rail will not cover all of where the drip rail was if you center the topper rail and will leave screw holes exposed. I do not think there will be enough run off if I install the topper rail below the factory installed drip rail. I could just leave the current drip rail and install the topper rail above the factory installed drip rail.

Someone told me not to install a slide topper unless the factory put support in the wall for the topper brackets and rail
DanielH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
Bugsmema

We have a 2019 Sprinter TT. We had the toppers installed from where we bought our RV, which was in Michigan. We live in Oregon. We drove back, picked up the RV, and was making a road trip out of it. To make a long story short, the slides worked great for a day. The slide that has the recliners and dining table and chairs wouldn’t open. Tried everything we knew to do, went to a RV dealer in Ohio, they tried to tell us the slide framing was bent, would have to take it apart. We said forget it, we continued on our trip, without using that slide. Got home to Oregon, took it into Curtis Trailers. Frame was not bent at all, when they added the toppers, someone put a screw through the wiring and shorted it out. Imagine if we had said, huh, go ahead and fix that bent slide. Oh, and in high winds, we put the slide in as it feels like it’s gonna rip the topper off.
Bugsmema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide