Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Jdaviso

Tow vehicle ideas

My family of 6 and a dog is looking to go full time in a few years. My wife insists that she wants to stay with a TT and does not want a child sitting between us while driving. It doesn't seem like there are any vans or SUVs on the market anymore that can pull over much over about 9300 lbs. We are starting to look at some late model vehicles that might fit our needs even if we would have to do some work to them. Things like Excursions or Suburbans. I would only go with a diesel on an older vehicle. Just wanted to reach out and see what experiences others have had with SUVs or vans that could handle towing more then 9000 lbs with a decent payload capability. TIA.

2019 Passport SL 292BH
2017 Nissan NV 3500HD SL
2014 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L Hemi
2006 Gulf Stream Z26EXP (Sold)
1999 Coleman Westlake (Sold)
Jdaviso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
travelin texans

Your best bet would be a 350/3500 van, don't know if any are diesel, as you've stated the SUVs of late are for people moving not rv moving. You might find a used 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon, but not a diesel. Also may find a used diesel Excursion, but if it's the POS 6.0, either van or SUV, don't walk, run away from it as far as possible.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
rhagfo

I think you need to think about the size of trailer you need for a family of 6! You will want something near 40’ to have the necessary space to keep your sanity. You also need some storage space TT don’t have that much storage space.
You could have 350/3500 DRW tow vehicle and a Large SUV as a chase vehicle.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
notanlines

I pulled up a quick search chart and found this: 2014 E-350 Super Duty Extended Wagon 6.8L V-10, 10,000, 4.10:1 gears.
This is probably NOT a fifteen passenger van, more likely a stripped cargo van.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:25 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

jdaviso,
If your "full timing" is constantly moving from place to place then based on the numbers and info I have seen on this site referring to tow capacities/capabilities, you are going to be challenged to find something that everyone and the dog can travel in and tow enough "home" behind you, safely. This is compounded with what is commonly refereed to on here as "stuff". Clothes,shoes,toys,tools,bikes (maybe),dogs "stuff" ect....
Maybe inverting the package and considering a Class A with a toad would be best. Everyone rides together and you have some "wheels" upon arrival. Not sure of your total needs or finances,but maybe an idea for you.
If you are planning on long stays between travel you might consider a rental "chase "vehicle. When it is time to move go to a local rental office (Enterprise,Hertz ect...) and rent a large SUV. Use it for the trip (one way) and then return it. Yes one way will be more expensive, but a lot cheaper then a payment,maintenance, and insurance. Of course rental office locations would be something to figure in this plan as well.
I will add you are a brave soul. Full timing with four Kids and a dog is a tall order in my view. You're a better man than me if you can pull this off. And if one of the "inventory" is your mother in law then you are also a tougher man.
Good luck,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

In think your putting the cart before the horse. Find the trailer that will work for for your family living in it full time. Than match the TV that can pull it and maybe carry all the family with everything you own. I will guess it will be a 1 ton DRW truck or larger.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your best bet would be a 350/3500 van, don't know if any are diesel, as you've stated the SUVs of late are for people moving not rv moving. You might find a used 3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon, but not a diesel. Also may find a used diesel Excursion, but if it's the POS 6.0, either van or SUV, don't walk, run away from it as far as possible.
The Ford Excursion was built from 2000 to 2005 so the newest would be 15 years old. The 6.0 diesel if "bulletproofed" (Cost thousands to do) might be OK. The v10 is a gas hog and waste of weight in my opinion. The Excursion has front leaf springs and rides like a Red wagon over a dirt road. Any Excursion you find will most likely be in need of a lot of work in suspension parts such as bushings, tie rods, etc. Not knocking the vehicle, in fact I love the concept and thought it was a shame the fuel mpg mandates killed it.

Back in the day many 3500 Suburbans (the diesels back then were garbage as well, the GM 350 gas engine that was converted) were used as tow vehicles . Today only in 2500 and they are so blinged out that cargo capacity (is available tongue wt after piling in the tribe) would be minimal.

So not to be negative but finding an RV combination that transports AND sleeps 6 with any comfort is going to be challenging unless your budget is very fat.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The Ford Excursion was built from 2000 to 2005 so the newest would be 15 years old. The 6.0 diesel if "bulletproofed" (Cost thousands to do) might be OK. The v10 is a gas hog and waste of weight in my opinion. The Excursion has front leaf springs and rides like a Red wagon over a dirt road. Any Excursion you find will most likely be in need of a lot of work in suspension parts such as bushings, tie rods, etc. Not knocking the vehicle, in fact I love the concept and thought it was a shame the fuel mpg mandates killed it.

Back in the day many 3500 Suburbans (the diesels back then were garbage as well, the GM 350 gas engine that was converted) were used as tow vehicles . Today only in 2500 and they are so blinged out that cargo capacity (is available tongue wt after piling in the tribe) would be minimal.

So not to be negative but finding an RV combination that transports AND sleeps 6 with any comfort is going to be challenging unless your budget is very fat.

JMHO
The "weak link" on the Excursion line was payload. All were built on a F250 chassis which at the time carried a GVW rating of 8400, 8600 or 8800 pounds. Most of the diesel iterations were built on the 86 or 88 chassis lines, but most were Lariat or above trim levels. I can't remember ever seeing an XLT Excursion diesel. Anyway, PAYLOAD on most diesel Excursions ranged from 1100 - 1400 pounds. By the time you put passengers in all the available seats (or even 6 adults, leaving 4 empty seats, the payload is maxed out. The Excursion was not well suited for passengers AND towing. Either was a "successful experience" but when filled with passengers, the payload limited towing capacity to tongue weights in the "8 inch wheel, folding utility trailer" range. There was barely enough payload to tow a 30' travel trailer with an EMPTY Excursion, fill the seats, "toast".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle