Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #41
slow

I am in Manitoba Canada, so multiple the following CDN$ by .75 to get US$ equivalent:

Driver licence: $40/year

2015 F250: $10M TPL and $200 deductible with safe driver discount: $1,503/yr
(without full safe driver discount it would be $2,008)
I never pay the full amount since I do not use the truck in the winter and change the coverage to "storage" from November to March for a $90 fee for the period. So the actual is $979/year.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5BHS $200k TPL and $500 deductable: $438/yr
$4.8M TPL and $250 deductible extension: $81/yr

Paid one time fee of $40 for the plate years ago.

TPL = Third Party Liability
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #42
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Hoo Boy, just got my bill from the county for putting license plates on my 2018 26 RBPR for 2020. For a trailer that only gets hauled less than 4,000 miles per year my bill this year is approximately $350. I know I am getting hit for being a "luxury" but I was just wondering what other states charge.
So this is Colorado and the retail on the TT was $32,000 but we paid in real time a trade in and $18,000.

How is it in your state? Canada? If it is a lot cheaper where you live maybe you could claim me?
I just paid $98.50 for my yearly registration renewal in New York on my 2015 26RBPR.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #43
Northofu1

plate for truck was $256 for 2 years, plate for trailer one time price of $15
That's why we can afford the fines for hauling a 53' trailer around

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #44
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something to consider for anyone who might be contemplating registering their travel trailer in a different state:

Many states require that all vehicles be registered and licensed in the "state of residence" within a specified time frame of moving into the state. So, if you register the tow vehicle in, say Vermont and then buy a fifth wheel and register it in New Mexico, once you tow it back to Vermont, you may face a requirement to re-register it and pay additional taxes/fees. Sure, you can "ignore the requirement" but when (if) something happens and it's involved in an accident, a theft or even a "neighbor's complaint that it's parked in the wrong location" and an LEO cites you or an insurance report is submitted, if the registration doesn't meet the state requirements of residency, then you may find that you face more "charges of tax evasion" than just "saving a few bucks by registering it where it's cheaper"...

In years past, with the lack of "computer data bases that span the nation", all you had to do was "pay with cash and there was no record to follow you".... That's no longer true. With today's data sharing, your local vehicle registration office can validate the current registration status based on your driver's license, for all vehicles that you have registered anywhere in the 50 states.... Yeah, "big brother is watching"....

So, while there are "some people who can legally qualify for residency, licensing and registration" in a state where they don't physically reside, it's not as easy as it was several years ago when tax information was "hand entered and checks were cashed by the tax collector and that info remained at the local level"....

Trust me when I say that your local law enforcement agency will be able to document your traffic stop in Las Angeles, probably before you even get back home to Colorado after your weekend trip to Disney Land and your speeding ticket on the freeway on your way to the airport in that rental car..... It's the same with vehicle registrations, licensing and residency. As long as nothing happens, you'll probably not see any problems, but...…. Just get stopped for a broken tail light and...…

As an example, don't have a Michigan driver's license and be operating a snowmobile registered in your name in Wisconsin without the proper Michigan permits/registrations being completed....
Not required with RVs. The NM law allows for it. You get a NM registration with your local address. You are not using a NM address. It only applies to RVs, cannot be done with autos. People are always skeptical and try to compare RV registration laws to auto. If this were not legal, NM would be doing it with autos as well, or not at all. They are very specific that it is for RVs only, and you must buy from a dealer in NM and take possession in NM.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #45
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Because so many are moving from California to Texas, there is a saying going around here:
"Don't California my Texas"
We have the same problem here in FL. Only difference is they are coming from the highest per capita tax state NY.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Not required with RVs. The NM law allows for it. You get a NM registration with your local address. You are not using a NM address. It only applies to RVs, cannot be done with autos. People are always skeptical and try to compare RV registration laws to auto. If this were not legal, NM would be doing it with autos as well, or not at all. They are very specific that it is for RVs only, and you must buy from a dealer in NM and take possession in NM.
I'm NOT saying that it can't be done, I'm saying that if you tow that RV back to Michigan and don't reregister it in this state within 60 days of arrival in this state, you are in violation of the MICHIGAN (not New Mexico) vehicle registration statutes... If nothing happens, you don't get stopped, don't get a ticket, don't have any insurance claims, nobody will likely ever know you violated the MICHIGAN law (not the New Mexico law)…

But, if anything happens, someone steals your RV, you file an insurance claim (usually need a police report to do so) then you MAY find that you're in violation of "local requirements" (again, nobody in New Mexico would care that you are in violation of Michigan's laws)….

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Maryland, being a small state, has been relentless in making folks pay their state taxes.

In MD the SP have some cars with special cameras on the trunk. It scans plates for expired and how long since last scanned. They like to drive thru apartment complexes, parking lots etc. The computer will alert automatically if the tags are expired (regardless of state of registration) or if there are any insurance lapse, or if it's been in state long enough to require a change in tags.

Years ago the state cracked down on people buying and registering boats in Delaware and keeping them a few miles south in Ocean City MD. A LOT of folks paid a LOT of fines during that time period.

I guess it would be a "buyer beware" and know your state's laws before doing anything that could end up in a criminal record.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #48
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm NOT saying that it can't be done, I'm saying that if you tow that RV back to Michigan and don't reregister it in this state within 60 days of arrival in this state, you are in violation of the MICHIGAN (not New Mexico) vehicle registration statutes... If nothing happens, you don't get stopped, don't get a ticket, don't have any insurance claims, nobody will likely ever know you violated the MICHIGAN law (not the New Mexico law)…

But, if anything happens, someone steals your RV, you file an insurance claim (usually need a police report to do so) then you MAY find that you're in violation of "local requirements" (again, nobody in New Mexico would care)….
Not true. Again, RVs are different than autos. That is why NM restricts it to RVs. You cannot even register your auto in NM with a MI address. There is a reason for the RV restriction, it’s because it is legal with an RV. It’s ok if you want to be skeptical, we can agree to disagree, but it’s only logical that NM is specific with the requirements for a reason.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #49
61Hawks

I will never complain again. In Alberta I paid a one time fee of about 25.00 for a 43 ft 5th wheel for life and 85.00 per year for the tv.
61Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #50
maddogrdhg

That is kind of rough.😳
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #51
maddogrdhg

I thought I recently read they are gonna try and repeal/modify that Prop 13....😳
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not true. Again, RVs are different than autos. That is why NM restricts it to RVs. You cannot even register your auto in NM with a MI address. There is a reason for the RV restriction, it’s because it is legal with an RV. It’s ok if you want to be skeptical, we can agree to disagree, but it’s only logical that NM is specific with the requirements for a reason.
The bottom line is this:

New Mexico could give a crap less whether I comply with Michigan registration/title laws. New Mexico got their money, that's all that matters to them.

HOWEVER, Michigan requires Michigan residents to comply with Michigan registration/title laws. Whether it's "legally registered in New Mexico is not a consideration in Michigan (to Michigan residents living in Michigan). If an RV belonging to a Michigan resident, residing in Michigan does not comply with Michigan title/registration/license/tax payment laws, then that owner is subject to the penalty for any Michigan laws they violate.... New Mexico (be damned) won't send a representative to a Michigan court to defend their registration validity....

It's "buyer beware and comply with your home state if you're going to live in your home state".....

As flybouy just posted, many people tried to skirt the Delaware/Maryland boat registration/fees requirements. Didn't work then and likely won't work with RV's as soon as any state computer system links to taxes/fees due for their residents.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #53
LewisB

Quote:
I think John is right...I'm struggling to understand how a law written for NM can/would over-ride our local AZ laws. In AZ, it doesn't make any difference how/where you buy any vehicle - if you have it in the state for more than 30 (I think) days, it has to be registered in AZ under AZ laws.

In Tucson, our 2018 Raptor registration was $1,285 and the 2017 F350 DRW was $529.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #54
cag

In Washington State. It is complicated. I live outside of the Sound Transit area, which saves a bundle.
My 5th wheel is about $45 and the TV is a bit less than $200. The 2002 F-350 pays a fixed fee plus weight on 12,000 lbs.. I know the sticker says 10,000 but the state says otherwise.. There a many threads on that difference.

I almost forgot, we recently passed for the 2nd or 3rd time a $30 car tab fee. Of course Seattle is suing against the voter approved change. So while it is caught up in the courts the State didn't defend the voter approved change as they didn't like it. So, the court let everyone continue to collect the fees until it goes to court. I loved the defense that voters didn't really understand what they were voting for...$30 car tabs was too much for people to understand according to the lawyers. Never mind that the voter pamphlet explained the world would end if you voted for it, at least according to Sound Transit and Seattle.
cag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #55
Elvis

Moved from California to Missouri in April. $212.00 a year renewal for 21 ft. pull Springdale,$54.00 Lifetime plate here,Diesel $2.53 a gallon here almost $5.00 a gallon in Calif. Got a raise when I crossed the Border and love the Ozarks.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #56
alelka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtracy View Post
In California I just paid $500 for my 42' fifth wheel for it's second year. I feel your pain. Along with my TV at $850.
I feel blessed. Here in California too, $500.00 for truck and only $378.00 for the trailer (2017).
Our truck is a 2015 F350.
alelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #57
Pete Hartley

Ontario, Canada - buy the plate on purchase...never need to pay again!
Pete Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #58
alelka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly13 View Post
$2700 for 3 years on the trailer in Nevada. The truck was $800 for one year. Vehicle registration is the thing I like least about Nevada. I have to say the roads are nice and I've driven all over the state.
You are correct there! I can tell everytime I enter Nevada from California. The road noise disappears!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #59
Ken / Claudia

I could not open the NM RV registration to understand the rule. But I think I understand whats being said. If wrong correct me.
With vehicles and a RV is a vehicle. There is normally a title, registration and a license. I am a Oregon resident and like others can purchase a vehicle in any state. If in this case I buy an RV in NM and have the registration issued by NM is not a problem with Oregon. They should give a temporary permit to transport it. Once back home, I have 30 days to title and license it in Oregon. Here there is no sales tax. If so, I would likely still owe a sales tax to Oregon also. Personally I have only dealt with WA and ID vehicle laws besides OR.
ID has sales tax. If I become a resident of ID and any vehicles I take with me to that state to license. I owe a ID sales tax if the vehicles were purchased less than 6 months before the move.
I did find a person who was licensing RVs in Oregon to out of state residences in about 1997. The reason was to avoid higher licensing fees in other states and maybe sales tax in those states. There were several hundred RVs using her address. That is a misdemeanor crime here for each vehicle. Since I was a Det. at the time only only working felons for felony crimes. I turned it over to others. Not sure of her outcome, but the practice was stopped. DMV flagged all vehicles to that address and with other OSP det. the vehicle licenses were void. I never had to go to trial on the case so either she pled out or DMV allowed a civil compromise.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #60
alelka

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
I thought I recently read they are gonna try and repeal/modify that Prop 13....😳
There are rumors. If you think there is an exodus going on now, if that happens it will look like when the oakies came out to California during the Depression, only in reverse. My mom and family did come out west from Kansas in a Ford!