Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
johnsoa2

Surge protector display location

Good evening, We had the dealer install a hardwired surge protector into our 25RES (our first 5er)....Only problem, he mounted the display on the back wall on the far right, so when the slide is in; we can't read the display. (Prior to this unit, we had a Passport TT with a portable surge protector. We would plug the surge protector into the power pole first to ensure we had a good electrical connection.) We are in NE PA, so haven't had the chance to take her out on the maiden voyage, but my thinking is we should have the display moved, correct? If not, we will need to put slide out, read the display; then put the slide in to level the unit, then put the slide out again to camp..or am I going about this all wrong?.
Cougar25RES
johnsoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Brantlyj

I would think your overthinking it. The display is nearly giving updates to the current condition of the power source and will also display error codes if something is wrong.

Only reason why I would move it is if there was a problem and you needed to read a code but the slide was in.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

I like having mine where I can easily read it any time I wish, but I'm a bit OCD about things like that. Follow your heart.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Brentw

Mine is in the pass thru near my transfer switch, I look at it when I power up, I don't see the need to monitor this device. Read out is for trouble shooting. Don't want another led blinky thing in the cabin at night.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
66joej

If the EMS powers up the microwave then you know you are good to go.
Doesn't matter if you can see the display or not. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
^^^ What he said.

However, if you have an issue with no shore power you can always extend the slide to see the error message - the slide runs off the battery, not your converter.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
^^^ What he said.

However, if you have an issue with no shore power you can always extend the slide to see the error message - the slide runs off the battery, not your converter.
Mine was portable, plugged into pedestal hit the auto level, connected water/sewer hoses & put the slides out, by then the power had connected & ready for a refreshing beverage. DW was inside & knew once the microwave beeped the power was on so she could turn on the AC. The only time I looked at the display was IF there was an issue or power didn't connect in about 2 minutes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
I'm assuming you have a Progressive Industries EMS as it's the only one I'm aware of with a remote display. When you plug into shore power, the EMS will check out the power and connections and after a delay will connect the trailer. If you can get near where the EMS is before it connects, you'll hear a clunk when the contactor cuts in and the microwave will beep.
If you can't get to the EMS before it starts, it's no big deal. As joe said, if the EMS connects you, you're good to go. That's its job.
The only time I look at my readout is after we have a cutoff, usually from an overvoltage spike.
We were in a private campground once and the supply power was near the upper voltage limit and every time our neighbor's A/C cycled it would spike our power and trip our EMS. We asked to move to a different site and had no more problems. That was an unpleasant night, hot and humid and the power (and A/C) cycling on and off all night.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoa2 View Post
Good evening, We had the dealer install a hardwired surge protector into our 25RES (our first 5er)....Only problem, he mounted the display on the back wall on the far right, so when the slide is in; we can't read the display. (Prior to this unit, we had a Passport TT with a portable surge protector. We would plug the surge protector into the power pole first to ensure we had a good electrical connection.) We are in NE PA, so haven't had the chance to take her out on the maiden voyage, but my thinking is we should have the display moved, correct? If not, we will need to put slide out, read the display; then put the slide in to level the unit, then put the slide out again to camp..or am I going about this all wrong?.
Did you specify where you wanted the display? If you did, then the dealer should make it right. If you didn't, then the question is is it worth the money to have them change it. Only you can answer that as it's a personal preference and has nothing to do with the functionality.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
johnsoa2

Thank you!

Thank you for all the responses! To answer a few questions/pointers..:No, we did not specify where to put the monitor and secondly, since we camp at an aging military campground, we need to read the monitor at initial hook up to ensure the electrical pole is good....(we had to move a few times AFTER setting everything up to then discover the electrical was bad; so I need to see the display before doing any other set-ups take place). Thank you for the tip on the microwave! Problem solved! If I see the micro is working,I know we will be good to go. I will need to find a cover for the display, because I too, don't need on more Blinky light to annoy me!
Cougar25RES
johnsoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Logan X

Quote:
This is what I do. I don’t have a remote display mounted.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Even though the microwave may power up I still like to know if the voltage is dangerously low or high, but that is just me.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #13
Jfreek65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Even though the microwave may power up I still like to know if the voltage is dangerously low or high, but that is just me.

Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m a newbie and my ems is in the mail, but people on this forum made it sound like it wouldn’t allow power to the microwave in the first place in those situations with voltage issues.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #14
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreek65 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m a newbie and my ems is in the mail, but people on this forum made it sound like it wouldn’t allow power to the microwave in the first place in those situations with voltage issues.
Correct, your EMS monitors over/under voltage, Htz bad/no neutral etc. It will diagnos the available power before it will close the relays ( allow power to pass thru), so if you hear your transfer switch clunk, microwave beep or whatever else you've got going on, it allowed power thru at that moment in time. As part of its continuous monitoring, at any point if your power goes out of spec, it will disconnect you.

The display is useful is for you to visually see events that triggered the disconnect or see how close you are to trip points.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreek65 View Post
As stated above it will shut down the power and protect you if outside the specifications. The Progressive is an excellent EMS. But as I stated I like to know when it is within specs but very close to the edge as I like to watch it more closely, even though it isn't necessary.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #16
Jfreek65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
As stated above it will shut down the power and protect you if outside the specifications. The Progressive is an excellent EMS. But as I stated I like to know when it is within specs but very close to the edge as I like to watch it more closely, even though it isn't necessary.

Thanks for the clarification! Info like this is definitely useful. My previous rv experience was all as a kid in my parents’ trailers or grandparents’ motor homes and they were old school and didn’t have surge protection or ems tech so this is all new to me.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Mine was portable, plugged into pedestal hit the auto level, connected water/sewer hoses & put the slides out, by then the power had connected & ready for a refreshing beverage. DW was inside & knew once the microwave beeped the power was on so she could turn on the AC. The only time I looked at the display was IF there was an issue or power didn't connect in about 2 minutes.
Somewhat similar to this. I've got in the habit of turning on the air conditioner to fan only (old style manual t'stat) when We pack up. That way, I plug in first and by the time I connect fresh water and sewer hose, or xchocks and stabilizers 2 min have passed and I hear the air conditioner run.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #18
LeeB43

Jfreek65, I noticed that you have a Scout. My dad had one about that same age. I remember that it didn’t have a lot of power, as I think it had a four-cylinder engine. It appears that you don’t tow it based on what your rig setup is. Do you just use it for play, running through the mud and so on? Or how?

2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 Short Bed
2019 Keystone Bullet UltraLite 220RBIwe (traded)
2018 GMC Canyon Denali CrewCab 4x4 Short Bed (traded)
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 220RBSL (traded)
LeeB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #19
Jfreek65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB43 View Post
Jfreek65, I noticed that you have a Scout. My dad had one about that same age. I remember that it didn’t have a lot of power, as I think it had a four-cylinder engine. It appears that you don’t tow it based on what your rig setup is. Do you just use it for play, running through the mud and so on? Or how?

Yeah, I do have a Scout! It’s my baby and family heirloom. My grandfather bought it new, taught my dad and uncle to drive on it, then I got to do some repairs to get it road worthy when I was 15 and learned to drive in it as well.

The stock 80’s had little 4 cylinders in them but this one has a swapped 302 Ford so it does a little better. I just use it for hunting and play here at home. In its previous life, however, it was pulled behind my grandparents’ old Itasca motorhome up into the mountains for elk camp.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #20
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoa2 View Post
The OP called out a "surge protector" but the responses are all about an EMS (electrical management system). Can the OP provide information on the actual device? If it truly is a "surge protector", then a lot of the EMS based responses may not apply. Also, Surge Guard makes an excellent EMS system that includes a remote monitor that is bluetooth connected and can be mounted (or left loose) anywhere in your rig.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote