Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

Leaf Springs USA made?

I gotta replace my leaf springs on my Dexter D44 axles.

Being from Detroit, I want to get American made steel. Been in auto industry long enough to know steel from china is inferior (isn't everything?). All the springs from etrailer.com are china made.

I believe all the dexter leaf springs are made in the USA.

Anyone have any thoughts or know of leaf spring suppliers that make in USA?
/Dave/
Tuz5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Being from the Detroit area, I'd suggest you contact Clyde's Frame and Wheel on Dixie Highway. https://www.clydesbigtex.com/

They repaired my axle/hub last summer and there are a couple of other forum members who have had work done there. If anyone would know where to buy "US made springs" it would be the people there.

If I remember correctly, Dixie Highway changes names just north of their location.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Dave W

The Dexter springs on our '14 HC had Made in China in 1" tall white block letters. The Redline replacements had the same and have done fine over the 'super great' and shovel ready US highways.

Much of the current US steel is actually from Posco Steel in Pohang, Korea and often via a rolling mill in Canada.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Roscommon48

I'm from Detroit...went to Osborn in the day.

You probaby will spend a lot of time trying to get 'USA steel' springs. Just get what is out there.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I think that "American made steel" mill is right beside the "American made" television factory, "American made" clothing fabric mills, cellphone companies, appliance company, and factories that make just about everything else the average American purchases.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #6
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

Everything is made in China, I know. We do still have lots of small steel mills in the midwest.

I might have a line on some American made leafs. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #7
Northofu1

The springs on my dexter axles from Keystone were,,,,, made in china.
snapped clean in half, 4 yr old trailer,,, no where near capacity.
The 4 new ones,,,, made in china

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

The springs that come from the Keystone factory on Dexter Axles are not necessarily made/supplied by Dexter. (I've learned)

I'm finding that there is little to no quality engineering on any RV. Coming from automotive, we scratch our heads at some of stupidity.

The only thing regulated, as far as we can tell is the GVWR, and the minimum tire rating to handle the GVWR. Everything else is designed and made with the cheapest sourced parts available.... meaning china.

Yes, most vehicles have lots of overseas parts in them too, but that is changing as the quality has been an issue. USMCA requires 75% north American content now.

When the big china push was on 20 years ago... the initial parts were decent quality, but then as time went on, and nobody was looking they cheapened up the parts. Steel from China is notorious for this.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I agree with the above post, but after the word cheap is lightest weight possible. Their made as cheap and light weight as possible. Neither helps to build a long lasting, trouble free RV.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I agree with the above post, but after the word cheap is lightest weight possible. Their made as cheap and light weight as possible. Neither helps to build a long lasting, trouble free RV.

Cheap, yes, but not light. The China made Redline springs sold by etrailer are 'standard' at 3/8" per leaf thick by 1-3/4" wids. My biggest complaint was that the end eyes were on the large side, allowing the bushing to slide in too easily and possibly 'rattle' and a subsequent failure. My history with bronze wet bushings ain't good. Unfortunately, a previous set and brand from another source were just as bad. I paint over the Made in China just so it wont remind me of the crap being supplied as OEM or aftermarket for our RVs
Old 02-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Just chillin

I ordered a spare spring just to carry with me not too long ago. Came straight from Dexter with the part number and Dexter painted on it right beside the word China..
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #12
bobbecky

If this link is for springs made in China, I'm pretty sure Stengel Bros can get you the same thing made here.

https://www.stengelbros.net/US-1085-...ng_p_1714.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #13
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

I received the following email from www.stengelbros.com about springs:

>Here are the utility trailer springs that we offer.
>
>https://www.stengelbros.net/Utility-...ngs_c_242.html
>
>https://www.stengelbros.net/Eye-Eye-...ngs_c_254.html
>
>
>Most of sourced outside U.S. There are no U.S. source that makes these i>nexpensive trailer springs (no capacity for these low margin springs).
>
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jack Stengel
>Stengel Bros. Inc.
>www.stengelbros.com
Old 02-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Cheap, yes, but not light. The China made Redline springs sold by etrailer are 'standard' at 3/8" per leaf thick by 1-3/4" wids. My biggest complaint was that the end eyes were on the large side, allowing the bushing to slide in too easily and possibly 'rattle' and a subsequent failure. My history with bronze wet bushings ain't good. Unfortunately, a previous set and brand from another source were just as bad. I paint over the Made in China just so it wont remind me of the crap being supplied as OEM or aftermarket for our RVs
I was concerned with the bushings sliding into spring eye too easily. I then thought about physics. With all of the weight of the trailer resting on the outside of the bushing, it shouldn't move. The point of least resistance would be the wet bolt on the inside of the bearing, therefore that should logically be the pivot point.

At least that's my take on it IMHO. Any other thoughts?
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I was concerned with the bushings sliding into spring eye too easily. I then thought about physics. With all of the weight of the trailer resting on the outside of the bushing, it shouldn't move. The point of least resistance would be the wet bolt on the inside of the bearing, therefore that should logically be the pivot point.

The bushing wont rotate but what will happen is that as the spring moves, the shackle bolt will tend to hammer. That hammer spot I found on ours is where the spring eye wrap meets the main spring body in a less then perfect circle at that gap. I also suspect that the end flexes a few thousandths too to hasten the wear. The first set of bronze bushings lasted about 10K miles, thenext were well on the way at about 8K miles. I am giving the LCI polyimide non grease version a try this time as replacing them, while not a big job, is a PITA
Old 02-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post

I think the "least resistance" would be wherever the lowest coefficient of friction is. Whether that's between the rubber of the bushing and the steel of the spring, or the brass insert and the bolt I don't know. I do know that any "loose" fitting area of the bushing if it's between the spring steel and the rubber or poly bushing or if it's between that and the bushing will result in premature wear of the bushing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
notanlines

https://custom-springs.com/
Give them a call. They are top dog in Memphis, woman owned business, they service everything from big rigs on down.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
Bigjohnjed

Check out Redneck Trailer supply . I purchased new they were marked made in USA . In fact the 7k axle beam, 12 inch brakes and springs all marked made in USA . Only thing the hubs/ brake drum and rims and tires made in China .....
Bigjohnjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:10 AM   #19
towin4fun

http://www.superiorspring.net/. Give these guys a call.. Custom made. And they are good at what they do.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #20
CWtheMan

For me this thread is puzzling.

For more than 60 years I've driven cars and trucks and hauled trailers all across the country. From the back roads of rural Maine to the super highways of CA. I've taken boat trailers down back roads loaded with obstacles. Launched them in fresh, brackish and salt waters. Hauled a 14K trailer for 13 years and more than 100,000 miles and have NEVER broken an axle. And someone here carries an extra axle????? I can't say I've never hauled or driven something overloaded but never to the extent the axles were in jeopardy.

So, good luck with American made. Oh, I hauled our fiver on TowMax tires very successfully for about 10 years. When installed they provided about 18% in load capacity reserves and I replaced them every 3 years. Even though they are made in China They were very easy to find where ever we traveled in the USA.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote