Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 AM   #1
chunker

washer/dryer selection and install in Raptor toy hauler

Past RVs have had hook ups but we just took a day to do laundry and generally didn't have an issue with filthy machines from pet owners washing pet rugs etc. But it can be expensive generally and inconvenient. I am thinking about a combo machine and have read reviews and comments from current users. Most users who have W/D wouldn't leave home without them. Separate units are the most efficient and best performance BUT that takes a lot of space and I'm leery of a stackable sitting a few feet from my motorcycle in transient. I also question the ventless models as reviews give them low marks for efficiency but good marks for "fire and forget" use. My laundry room at home heats up enough as it is with a big vent heading outside. I imagine the ventless makes the room hot. I saw the W/D hookup area and a ventless sticker, everything 120v.

Guess I'm looking for suggestions from those who use, or have seen use, up close and personal. All in one combo units, vs separate/stackable? Brand??? Splendide seems to be a key player in the RV market but I did see Bosche, Whirlpool, Haier, and a couple others. I saw pictures of a Raptor garage on a used one for sale with a flex hose going through the floor. My salesman said it might be possible to run a vent line down the inside of the wall between the basement and entertainment center but wasn't sure how thick that wall was. Hard to tell looking or if the wall had wiring/plumbing in it to make that option impractical.
Securing the unit/s to the floor so they don't walk around and damage things like the bike? I would think a stackable would benefit from a tether from the garage wall.

I'm looking and listening and will likely have questions as we go along. If there are alterations that are best performed by the dealer then before it leaves the lot is the best time for that. Otherwise I'm handy and can fix most things.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:15 AM   #2
gearhead

We bought a Pinnacle brand vented combo a few years ago. It took a few tries to get clothes dry without wrinkles. Wife found laundry "balls" that helped. After maybe 10 uses it failed...wouldn't start. I was referred by the warranty rep to repair shop that wasn't much more than a appliance junkyard. But, he did fix it. He ran 1 set of towels through it that I witnessed. Soon after we traded the Pinnacle when we traded 5th wheels.
Not sure what we will do for another washer/dryer. The default seems to be the Ariston Splendide. I have seen some compacts on Home Depot website that would work. Magic Chef I think.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed too many splendide to count. Definitely NOT a combo unit, and there are kits for securing them to the floor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

OP, I am in the same boat you are sort of but I don't have to worry about a bike.

We have opted for a stackable Spendide washer and dryer to in the HC whenever I can get back to get it. Every person I talked to from the service manager to our good friends next door was to not get a combo unit. They only took a very small load, took forever to get clothes done and they still came out wrinkled and/or damp. Not claiming I know for a fact but that is what every single person told us.

We have ordered the Splendide units because our neighbor moved from the combo to them and loves them; said there is no comparison. Others recommended the stackable units and the dryer will be vented out the wall. Everyone said no matter what you got they take longer than a home unit. If you think about it, the dryer in the RV runs on 120vac vs the 240 in the S&B. Guess we'll know personally in a few months...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP, I am in the same boat you are sort of but I don't have to worry about a bike.

We have opted for a stackable Spendide washer and dryer to in the HC whenever I can get back to get it. Every person I talked to from the service manager to our good friends next door was to not get a combo unit. They only took a very small load, took forever to get clothes done and they still came out wrinkled and/or damp. Not claiming I know for a fact but that is what every single person told us.

We have ordered the Splendide units because our neighbor moved from the combo to them and loves them; said there is no comparison. Others recommended the stackable units and the dryer will be vented out the wall. Everyone said no matter what you got they take longer than a home unit. If you think about it, the dryer in the RV runs on 120vac vs the 240 in the S&B. Guess we'll know personally in a few months...
Yes I'm prepared for longer laundry time, just the nature of the beast. When we have used laundry mats that also takes a while but I figure if I'm "home" then a load, be it small, can be running in the evening. Regardless what's back in the garage, you don't wan the things falling over or walking around. Did your friends who have a stackable have it in a toy hauler or other vehicle? Questions deals with securing the thing/s? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Theirs is in a Big Horn in the bedroom as ours will be. It comes with a kit to secure it. I don't know what is required in a toy hauler. The SM at our dealership just told me he would have all the parts (kit I believe) to secure the units.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If you stack them there Is a bracket that mounts to the top of the washer. The dryer then slips into the back of the bracket and the front is screwed into place. It makes for one pretty solid unit.

There are kits that screw into the floor and then the washer legs slip into them, much like the brackets used in S&B homes for a range install. I would add L brackets in the front of the washer, behind the lower trim panel and that made for a very solid install.

If your going to mount it in the garage, I’m sure you could add a strap near the top of the dryer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
travelin texans

Have had & used both Splendide combo & stackable approximately 5 years with each full-timing, ABSOLUTELY get the stackable. The combo did a good job cleaning, but as mentioned 1 small load takes what seems like all day & then EVERYTHING from socks to shirts come out like they've been crumpled up in a ball so someone may spend the rest of the day ironing (which by the way is not how they want to spend the day), then most times are still damp. Also ABSOLUTELY the dryer should be vented, condensation inside a rv is of concernbin winter weather without adding more from your clothes dryer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
chunker

Thanks to all for the comments. I'm probably not going to do anything right away and will research good compact stackable VENTED models.

I'll see how much remaining cargo capacity I have with the build changes and my traveling gear loaded.

Tags
raptor, toy hauler, washer