Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
depush

Site didn't work when I needed it

Hi,

We just returned from a 60-day trip. There were some issues along the way. One, in particular, was rather serious and time-dependent.

I tried to access this website to get any insight I could. I couldn't use it. No matter what I tried –differnet browsers, different devices, different browsers on different devices– I could not get passed a recurring splash screen saying there was a fatal error, too many redirects. When logging in I entered a circular hell requiring me to log in repeatedly. I made a new account, still no go.

I am writing to you now from the same machine and browser that failed repeatedly before.

I used the 'contact us' form to try to get assistance with this aggravating matter but never heard from anyone.

Obviously, the usefulness of this website has dropped considerably.

I don't know what the problem was but there are serious problems with either the coding or comms regarding what is required to use this site under various conditions.
depush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
TN Traveler

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
We’ve been on the road for more than 100 days and if I had an internet connection I could access the forum...
Currently in Saskatchewan.
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
LHaven

I've seen the "too many redirects" issue on my own mobile device. I've found that it indicates that my login session has expired, and when I try to fetch pretty much any info at all, that message appears. The solution is to go back to the initial page and tap on the "login" control, which usually logs me in immediately without having to go through a password screen. Once the site knows who I am, the "too many indirects" behavior magically disappears. Try this.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sorry that the site was not available when you needed it. In lieu of this event, we have reluctantly let our Minister of Silly Walks, take a walk. Hopefully this issue will not happen again.Click image for larger version

Name:	624bbbf5b3c8a293950c8ed24a0c4eef.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	23164

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
depush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Sorry that the site was not available when you needed it. In lieu of this event, we have reluctantly let our Minister of Silly Walks, take a walk. Hopefully this issue will not happen again.Attachment 23164

Attached Images

Old 08-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
LewisB

Clear Your Browser Cache

I've never had a time/location in which I could not log in to this forum (as long as I had internet service). I HAVE encountered the "...too many redirects..." issue with other sites; the problem was with my phone, not the site I was trying to visit.

If you have this problem again, go to "settings" on your phone and clear the browser cache for whatever browser you are using. Then start from scratch and log in again. That has always worked for me.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
captcolour

Not sure the OP was just using mobile devices, but when I have log in problems with the phone, it is time for a reboot of the phone. I think we forget that phones are computers and need to be restarted/rebooted to clear out the ram and caches which can cause it to get hung up and not work properly.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
depush

I appreciate the 'did you try, and, I always do this' comments. But as my original post states, I tried all of that and more. I'm a tech. I know problem solving techniques. Note I am using one of the exact same comps and browsers now that didn't work before.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

If you are a tech you know electronic things hiccup at times. I've experienced the same thing in the past, posted my concern and within a day or two it was fine; same machine, same network, same me.....Hopefully it's working OK for you now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Harleydodge

It likely wasn't the site, or the OP's devices.
Just his location, and the DNS his ISP was resolving to.
It happens. Flushing DNS can sometimes work.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by depush View Post
I appreciate the 'did you try, and, I always do this' comments. But as my original post states, I tried all of that and more. I'm a tech. I know problem solving techniques. Note I am using one of the exact same comps and browsers now that didn't work before.
Ok, I guess I misunderstood the OP. So you're a tech - you have tried everything there is to try. Your system is working now. What exactly is it that you are looking for from all of us with this post?
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #12
depush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Ok, I guess I misunderstood the OP. So you're a tech - you have tried everything there is to try. Your system is working now. What exactly is it that you are looking for from all of us with this post?
This is the, Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info, thread. There's no mystery here as to why I posted. I had an unresolvable problem with the site I thought the admins should know about.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #13
depush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
It likely wasn't the site, or the OP's devices.
Just his location, and the DNS his ISP was resolving to.
It happens. Flushing DNS can sometimes work.
This is the sharpest take. I wish I would have thought to change DNS servers.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by depush View Post
This is the, Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info, thread. There's no mystery here as to why I posted. I had an unresolvable problem with the site I thought the admins should know about.
We know about it, thanks for letting us know. We'll continue to provide the best, most reliable access that we can. Sometimes things don't work correctly, sometimes we can fix the problem, sometimes not.

Whew..... OK, now back to the OP's "original post":
"There were some issues along the way. One, in particular, was rather serious and time-dependent.
I tried to access this website to get any insight I could. I couldn't use it"

So, looking beyond the "site access problem", did you find the answers to the serious and time dependent issue you were facing?

In other words, access to the forum was an issue, but the reason for needing access was to solve a problem. What was the problem and is it solved? If not, how can we help?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #15
fatcatzzz

Maybe OP should ask for his subscription fee back.
fatcatzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
Ksupaul

I am here about every other day and have been for well over 60 days. Never seen that error. Or any other actually. Wonder if the fact I only use a safari mobile browser is why?

How are DNS servers changed BTW? Might be useful in the future.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
LHaven

One thing I have noticed is when I use the forum from my laptop, I am always logged in, no problems. When I use it from my smart phone, not only do I have to login every time, but I seem to be automatically logged out after 10 or 15 minutes no matter what I am doing. If it takes me a longish time to compose a reply, when I hit the post button I will get the message about too many indirects, indicating I was logged out in the meanwhile. I have to login again, then if I'm lucky I can back up a few screens and capture the text so I can repost it without having to type the whole thing over again. I wish there was a way I could tell the forum not to log me out automatically when I'm on my smart phone. I yam who I yam, after all.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

As far as I can tell, the forum software is not the issue. It's either Tap-a-talk or the interface between Tap-a-talk and the v-Bulletin software (the forum uses v-Bulletin to access the web. There are some newer versions of v-Bulletin, but we have not upgraded because those newer versions are having issues much worse than the Tap-a-talk interface. Until the problems in those versions are resolved, it's "better" to have what we currently have rather than open new "cans of worms" with issues that impact more people for longer periods of time and with issues that have no fix. We really don't want a forum with problems that affect the majority of the members and when we try to get a resolution, the software engineers tell us, "We don't know what's wrong, we're working on it, but there's no fix yet." Better we keep what works well for most people with as few 'glitches" as possible.

When will all the issues be resolved and everyone is able to access the forum with no problems, ever????? Un huh, don't hold your breath..... We upgrade, Tap-a-talk upgrades and the issues return, we fix them, then upgrade then Tap-a-talk upgrades and another issue arises, then we fix that and there's a problem with Internet Explorer, fix that and Google won't work as it used to, fix that and Tap-a-talk problems arise again.....

So......... Keep on trying, we'll do the best we can to provide you with at least double the value of your subscription fees....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
LHaven

Actually, I only recently started using Tapatalk on this forum. Up until now I've been using the built-in Safari browser on my iPhone, and that's where I see the login problems. Tapatalk seems to remember who I am all the time, I've used it for a long time on a forum dedicated to my industry. So the problem would be in the interface between Safari and the forum. It's as if the login cookie that the forum is issuing is just set to expire too fast. Why it doesn't expire on my laptop I have no idea.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

I had a period where I could NOT log in and stay log in and got the same error as the OP. I used the contact email address and the admin (no name) walked me through every fix under the sun. This is from a Win 10 Pro desk top. I used the email address and login and checked the stay logged in button. I tried every browser, deleted caches, enable cookies, used my AT&T hotspot, used my home wifi via AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet... DID EVERYTHING and finally the tech admin told me he or she had no idea why I was having issues. Even tried creating a different account with different login and password.... One day, I tried to log in and the issue seems to have gone away.

No issues now, near as I can tell EXCEPT, the other day, someone PM'd me and when I tried to reply, I could not place a cursor in the reply box or type anything; got out and went to the forums and could type again.

I think the issues MAY POSSIBLY have to do with the passwords that go across several forums? Is this forum linked with campgroundreviews.com aka RV Life which seems to own or control a number of RV sites? Just saying, it is a WAG as I have no proof... Several of you welcomed me back after a long absence and that was the period I just couldn't use the site. Probably why I have been spewing out so many dumb questions (they got bottled up bwhahahaha)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote