Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Trailer Steps-Lippert or MORryde

I'm getting ready to order the pull down steps (4) for my 5er.
I guess there are only two major manufactures of this product are,Lippert and MORryde. Anyone have any experience or input which is better. I have 28 inches between the door frames.
Will also be ordering the "box" (only found this to be a MORryde product) that fits in the hole left by the old steps.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you looked at glow steps?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

No. But any suggestion coming from a "RIVA registered technician" will certainly be reviewed.
Thanks Chuck.
RMc
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Have you looked at glow steps?
I'm with Chuckster. Love my Glow Steps. They fit in the space where the OEM steps were located. I don't have to fold dirt and rain and muck up inside my trailer. And...sometimes I like to get into my trailer without deploying the steps. JMHO. YMMV.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
Laredo Tugger

Well disregard the title of this post. The answer is the Glow Steps. The dirt and mud post sealed the deal with DW.
Close to 7 bills and will arrive later this week from e-trailer.
Install doesn't look to difficult. Maybe a six pack,depending on how hot it is.
RMc
Old 06-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Well disregard the title of this post. The answer is the Glow Steps. The dirt and mud post sealed the deal with DW.
Close to 7 bills and will arrive later this week from e-trailer.
Install doesn't look to difficult. Maybe a six pack,depending on how hot it is.
RMc
You won't regret it. I know they cost about twice as much as the others but IMHO they are absolutely worth it.

Just a tip: After you remove the OEM steps, remove the two bolts that attach the steps to the docking mechanism and install the docking mechanism by itself. Much easier to handle. Then you can re-attach the steps to the docking mechanism.

Good luck.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Thanks Merlin. All "tips" appreciated. Always great to have input from experience.
Thanks again
RMc
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

We have the Lippert Solid Step, installed the Moryde hand rail to them (had to drill 4 holes and purchase some hardware), DW absolutely loves the solid feel and the sate feeling the handrail gives her.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Just finished the install of the Glow Steps. Not to difficult. I used the old bolts that mounted the steps that were removed. I used a milk crate with cribbing to "catch" the old stairs and place the new ones on the bolt pattern.. Only mistake was putting those bolts in with the threads to the inside. The stairs would not completely store into the docking mechanism, so inverted them. No big deal.
Great tip Merlin, absolutely the best way to install.
Only complaint is the first step is a "doosie". It sits very low from the trailer floor level (maybe lower than OEM steps). DW tried the stairs out and said she could feel that high step making trouble for her ailing hip and knee. I told her to try stepping off backwards. It appears there is no real fix for that without major fabrication.
RMc
Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
MickLittle

Just finished replacing steps on our rig with Moryde and box where old steps were secured. Wife loves the steps, and I love the extra storage. Both items I installed in less than 1 hour. I know a lot of newer rigs come standard with the solid steps, so I thought I would give them a try. Looked really hard at the glowsteps, but I was able to purchase both items for less money. That was the biggest selling point for me.
Hope this helps anybody looking at up-grades for steps!
MickLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Laredo Tugger

The post about mud and dirt on the solid step got DW attention and changed my "strategy",so I installed the Glow Steps.
Also remembered while flipping through the owners manual last night, a section on adjustment. I went back to the trailer and removed the differential on the top step (by 4 inches) using the adjustment available. Now all steps are equally 8 inch rise. Problem solved.
Gotta love easy fixes
RMc
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

My 2019 Montana came with the MoreRide pull down steps. They are planned to reside in the recycle bin this winter. A pia and n more than one way.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #13
Northofu1

I am planning on the Lippert steps after this camping season. I like the larger top step and the style of latching when up. I prefer the footing adjustments on the Lippert.
I always clean my steps before leaving, along with vacuuming trailer and cleaning up in general. The only consideration I need to address is the 4 step or 3 step.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Only complaint is the first step is a "doosie". It sits very low from the trailer floor level (maybe lower than OEM steps). DW tried the stairs out and said she could feel that high step making trouble for her ailing hip and knee. I told her to try stepping off backwards. It appears there is no real fix for that without major fabrication.
RMc
A Exercise/aerobic step solved that problem for us... They usually run around 25 bucks. We just set our right inside the door.. first out/last think in.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #15
Laredo Tugger

Us Two,
In post #11 I caught my mistake. Found "adjustment" in the owners manual (who-da-thunk) and was able to make the rise even (8 inches) on all steps. I will admit I was looking forward to more storage space using the solid step but really didn't need it. Have most everything organized in the trailer now.
RMc
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #16
Greggde

Our 2 month old Fusion came with the Mor Ryde that work well and do not require the twist lock
mechanism to lock in place .
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
goducks

With all the connection points on the Glow Steps is there any squeaks? Our OEM Lippert aluminum fold out steps are creaky.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde View Post
Our 2 month old Fusion came with the Mor Ryde that work well and do not require the twist lock
mechanism to lock in place .
Our 2018 Raptor 353TS came with the MORryde 4 steps for the main cabin entrance. They are very solid and I love walking up and down them.

HOWEVER, I have a concern with these steps. When the cabin door is closed and the steps are extended, there is a hidden danger. If you ever use your hydraulic leveling system and don't have that cabin door open, you are going to have massive damage to either the steps or the door/frame. Essentially, you will be placing the weight of the trailer on those steps and door!

Here's a real life scenario that happened to me. We had just picked up our new trailer and I was playing around with the IN-Command system [it will control your front hydraulic levelers]. I put my cell phone in my pocket and was doing other things when I "butt dialed" those front levelers and the trailer started going down in front. Fortunately, the door was open, so there was no damage - had that door been closed, I would have destroyed either the steps or the door and frame of a brand new trailer. This is NOT something that the dealer told us. Here's the official warning from MORryde:

1543339434-RV Step Tip_v3.pdf

The fix: 1) take the front leveler controls OUT of the IN-comand system - you don't need it there, use the Level-Up controller for your levelers, 2) log out of In-command when you pocket your phone, and 3) before you do ANYTHING with the level of your trailer, check your doors and make sure they are in the correct position!

Hopefully, this will save someone from very expensive repairs. We love using these steps, but I'm not sure I would recommend them as a retro-fit.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #19
algrande

I installed the lippert one on my 2014 cougar and love them. I like the larger top step. You do have to sweep them off before you store them. I bought a smaller brush for that.
algrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
With all the connection points on the Glow Steps is there any squeaks? Our OEM Lippert aluminum fold out steps are creaky.
I have had my Glow Steps for almost two years and so far no squeaks at all.

I like them a lot.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW