Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I think you'll get great satisfaction if you watch this video! It's great. Maybe your neighbor can adapt and, do something similar that won't break any zoning rules!

Saw that video a while back …this one as well..
Old 04-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I'm sure you know but homes usually appreciate in value, RVs depreciate.
Yes but the rv will appreciate in smiles and happiness for my family
I’m not ruling anything out ..I’m just asking questions and researching
Old 04-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Go ahead and buy a home on the water in Florida. Know how any people show for happy hour in your neighborhood? You and Momma. We had 24 Wednesday night. The difference is night and day. Most of your neighbors won't know you. RV'ers lives are different.....in a good way.
Jim I’m sure you lead a fun life…you sound like you really enjoy being around people and it shows in your posts about your campgrounds.
I lived a fast paced wild life for many years while simultaneously running a small business and also being the best father I could be..

And I’m in different peoples homes all the time and have seen the good and bad in people..in buisness you tend to remember the bad unfortunately so I don’t mind getting away from crowds at times
I’m still a positive leaning person but my wild days are over .
I still like to have fun and we are very active but a nice quiet campground or small house to come back to after a day of excitement is good for me lol I don’t know maybe because
I grew up with divorced parents and living with one or the other and all over…then with my grandparents till I was on my own during and right after high school made me appreciate what I do now
I like stability and no surprises ..been married 32 years and two wonderful kids..just that alone makes me a happy man

So now I live vicariously through other peoples wild times …I like a great dinner .. a good book and watching my family enjoy themselves
And my happy hour drink of choice is Pellegrino these days lol I go through a case of liter bottles a week

I may be considered no fun but I assure you I’ve seen it all in a past life lol
Old 04-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I'm sure you know but homes usually appreciate in value, RVs depreciate.
Usually, unless the market goes crazy and drives RV prices up. Home values are not guaranteed either. Crime rates, floods, etc can negativly impact values as well as local economics. There's litterally thousands of nice abandonded homes in Detroit due to the demise of the auto industry. Same thing happened in TX after the oil bust of the last century. Folks down there were walking waay just leaving the doors unlocked.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
We talked about taking one of the boats down there for a year or two..the Marina prices are really really high. …it’s hard to spend money to tie up your boat when I don’t normally have to do that ever lol

I schucked oysters when I was a young man and never had to buy any,My FIL was a part time commercial crabber so I never had to buy steamed crabs either….now it’s REALLY hard for me to pay for those things lol.
I do pay for winter storage begrudgingly
Any other seafood isn’t a problem but when you get something for free for so long …well it’s just hard

It would be nice being right on the water…nice hearing waves lapping against the hull

Also my son has a 50 ton captains license and a fishing guide license up here..that would be his dream job down there
I was putting the Dish receiver up on the roof of the 5th day before yesterday. We were at Martinsville Speedway RV Campground. I had the Camping World collapsing ladder against the rear of the 5th and had one arm wrapped around the factory ladder and the receiver in my other hand. It must have looked bad as one of my RV neighbors came running over to help. " I think I've got it". He stayed to watch. I got done and offered him a Yuengling beer. He responded with an offer of Chincoteague oysters on the half shell. Good oysters.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I was putting the Dish receiver up on the roof of the 5th day before yesterday. We were at Martinsville Speedway RV Campground. I had the Camping World collapsing ladder against the rear of the 5th and had one arm wrapped around the factory ladder and the receiver in my other hand. It must have looked bad as one of my RV neighbors came running over to help. " I think I've got it". He stayed to watch. I got done and offered him a Yuengling beer. He responded with an offer of Chincoteague oysters on the half shell. Good oysters.
They are the best oysters
Old 04-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #27
Badbart56

Quote:
To mitigate the costs and crowds what about some other coastal state? Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas? I would suggest Texas but it's a long drive for you.
I agree, I would investigate other locations as well. I have lived in Florida all of my life (other than my Navy days) up until last year when we moved to Georgia. With all the storms year after year, Florida basically has a built in surcharge for storm related damage from the electric companies and the insurance companies with permission from the insurance commissioner.

After one storm years ago they bumped everyone's electric bill by $12.50 a month. That makes someone a lot of money. Auto and home insurance companies are much the same.

I'm not sure if the other states that are along the Gulf are doing the same thing but I doubt they've had more total loss over the years as Florida has. All the coastal areas along the Gulf are attractive but some states are most likely more affordable than Florida. The only reason we moved to Georgia was the price of homes in the panhandle of Florida just kept going up and the demand is so high that I don't see it coming down anytime soon.

We found a deal on a 4626 sq/ft house on 3.25 acres that needed some work but it was priced far enough below market up here that we had $40K in equity the day we closed on it. The same money in the area we were at in Florida would have bought a ten year old doublewide on 4 or 5 acres. I'm sure prices are up across the nation to varying degrees but Florida is a lightning rod when it comes to housing. Supply and demand.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:41 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I agree, I would investigate other locations as well. I have lived in Florida all of my life (other than my Navy days) up until last year when we moved to Georgia. With all the storms year after year, Florida basically has a built in surcharge for storm related damage from the electric companies and the insurance companies with permission from the insurance commissioner.

After one storm years ago they bumped everyone's electric bill by $12.50 a month. That makes someone a lot of money. Auto and home insurance companies are much the same.

I'm not sure if the other states that are along the Gulf are doing the same thing but I doubt they've had more total loss over the years as Florida has. All the coastal areas along the Gulf are attractive but some states are most likely more affordable than Florida. The only reason we moved to Georgia was the price of homes in the panhandle of Florida just kept going up and the demand is so high that I don't see it coming down anytime soon.

We found a deal on a 4626 sq/ft house on 3.25 acres that needed some work but it was priced far enough below market up here that we had $40K in equity the day we closed on it. The same money in the area we were at in Florida would have bought a ten year old doublewide on 4 or 5 acres. I'm sure prices are up across the nation to varying degrees but Florida is a lightning rod when it comes to housing. Supply and demand.
Thanks for the insight…sounds like you made a good choice
Old 04-09-2022, 04:45 AM   #29
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
They are the best oysters
Any oyster in a storm! (As long as they're cold and raw!)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:56 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Any oyster in a storm! (As long as they're cold and raw!)
Unless they come from from Canada. https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2022/...-s-and-canada/

One you've had Chincoteague oysters you'll throw rocks at the rest IMHO.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:38 AM   #31
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
One you've had Chincoteague oysters you'll throw rocks at the rest IMHO.
Having lived on the Florida Gulf Coast for most of my life I would argue that point, but unless you have tried them you wouldn't know.

Granted, the Apalachicola Bay has been shut down recently but the oysters harvested from these and other local water are world renowned.

https://exploresouthernhistory.com/a...2e6bcf9c5b5eba

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Having lived on the Florida Gulf Coast for most of my life I would argue that point, but unless you have tried them you wouldn't know.

Granted, the Apalachicola Bay has been shut down recently but the oysters harvested from these and other local water are world renowned.

I agree. The Appalach oysters are (were) better than any I've ever eaten anywhere.

They're trying to regrow the oysters in the bay but I'm not sure how well that's going to go. I've talked to multiple folks that worry that the discharge from the Appalachicola river is doing a tremendous amount of damage to the oysters due to all the contaminants being sent downstream from GA. Hopefully they rebound soon.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Sorry BTDT (when the red tide wasn't present). I've them from a LOT of areas around the country. IMHO they are the best, just like MD blue cab (I prefer them from the Chester & Choptank rivers), MD Rock fish, Maine Lobster, Gulf shrimp, etc. I also prefer Oklahoma beef, corn and tomatoes from southern MD or MD eastern shore, dairy products from Lancaster Vally in PA, etc., etc.

Taste is a personal prefrence gretly influenced from your surroundings and what your accostomed to. I also like WV Ramps this time of year but have to travel to get the. If anyone likes spring onions, garlic, etc and are around the Appalachian mnts this time of year try them out. I like them sautéed on a plate with a side of roasted potatoes and venison. Man, now I'm hungry!
Old 04-09-2022, 08:00 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Taste is a personal prefrence gretly influenced from your surroundings and what your accostomed to. I also like WV Ramps this time of year but have to travel to get the. If anyone likes spring onions, garlic, etc and are around the Appalachian mnts this time of year try them out. I like them sautéed on a plate with a side of roasted potatoes and venison. Man, now I'm hungry!
Ramps, morel mushrooms, fiddler fern shoots and just enough ground pork with italian seasoning, cooked to perfection and served on fresh biscuits made with Pioneer buttermilk baking mix..... Is it "springtime yet" ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #35
rjniles

We have spent 3-4 weeks in a camper in south Florida for the last 12 years. We alternate from the east to the west coast. Very nice to visit but I would not want to live there. If I were to move from SC permanently it would be to NE Florida in the Ocala area. Winters not as warm as south Florida but much better than the Northeast.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:37 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ramps, morel mushrooms, fiddler fern shoots and just enough ground pork with italian seasoning, cooked to perfection and served on fresh biscuits made with Pioneer buttermilk baking mix..... Is it "springtime yet" ??????
We have a trip planned into "ramp country" but it's too late in the spring. Many tears ago I was in Boston for buissness and an architectural firm I used took me to an upscale resturant on the water front for dinner. The waiter came to our table and gleefully explained that " tonight we have a rare delicacy from the mountians in West Virginia. They are a rare wild vegetable called ramps". I started laughing and asked him how they were prepared. "He went into great detail and I chuckeld again. I told him to bring out enough for everyone to try and I'd let him know "if the chef got it right".

The chef came out and asked if they were ok. They were and I congratulated him for his talet. He asked me if I'd had them before. I explained that yes, I had harvested them on the mountian sides from a young age when visiting WV. Then evetyone looked a lttle puzzeled when I explained how ramps were considered "peasent food". I like them sautéed in bacon grease in an iron skillet over a bed of hot coals outside. But the, what doesn’t taste better cooked that way?
Old 04-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #37
gearhead

So last year when we were bumming around Cheasepeake Bay one of the TV stations had a story on who won the "best crab cakes" in Maryland.
It was Pappadeaux's.
From Texas.
They ARE good, but...
Old 04-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
So last year when we were bumming around Cheasepeake Bay one of the TV stations had a story on who won the "best crab cakes" in Maryland.
It was Pappadeaux's.
From Texas.
They ARE good, but...
I'll just say this, if you want to see absolute rip-roaring laughter take a Marylander out of the state and to a resturant with "Maryland Crab Cakes" on the menu.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #39
jasin1

Quote:
It was Pappadeaux's.
From Texas.
They ARE good, but...
Are you sure it wasn’t pappas of parkville MD ? Even Oprah orders them from there…it’s not part of the pappadeaux chain.

It’s not a contest for me on what state is better lol Texas and Florida have MD beat as far as most other things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA27F8C1-E8D7-4D91-A2A2-DBC26FBAB9F5.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	39183   Click image for larger version

Name:	975C3C9B-C1A7-4C4A-BC77-9BE03AB484B4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	39184   Click image for larger version

Name:	900A8FBE-F903-436C-8637-853C03697C76.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	39185   Click image for larger version

Name:	F04E1C35-1204-4B9C-9E87-49257C69DE39.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	39186   Click image for larger version

Name:	F09E7017-7C30-4A24-87D8-3B861255286D.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	39187  

Old 04-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #40
gearhead

The Pappas family in Houston owns Pappas Seafood, Pappadeaux Cajun, Pappas BBQ, Pappsito Mexican, and Pappas Steakhouse. I don't know where they all are but there's a bunch of them. All are a bit upscale, especially price wise.
The Pappas family in Baltimore has the same success story as the one in Houston.
It does sound like the Pappas in Baltimore was the winner.

Tags
winter