Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Now I love that thinking! Reckon you could pass that formula by my bank? I'm thinking it might really help my account balance!
Maybe, if they'll get their brains down to absolute 00.

Sorry, that frozen brain, grade school stuff just pops out now & then after 7+ decades.

And being locked away from the rv road since Dec 18 hasn't helped.

Hope Y'all are mov'n about.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdillo View Post
well, we're at 19º this morning. power went out somewhere around 2am. It was a major PIA setting it up at 2am in the freezing sleet and snow but I sure am glad I bought my Predator 3500. Got it just before inauguration and glad to have it .

How's Medina lake look? I grew up in San Antonio and haven't been there in years

Lake is relatively low. Always up and down. Couple years ago it was virtually dry. Now is down a few feet from normal as we have been in a bit of a drought.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #23
SummitPond

And people wonder why we don't live in Maine in the winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	32029  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #24
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
And people wonder why we don't live in Maine in the winter!
I was totally confused until I saw your location. Because I looked at the map and Maine was in the 20’s, while MN was below zero. To my thinking, Maine looks quite warm!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #25
Jim2366

I have my sub panel wired to a champion also. Just to the bedroom and bathroom. In the bedroom there is a mini split heating and air condioner and is powered with a 110.

I also installed a propane stove that is vented since it's in the bedroom and it is connected to a 1000 gallon propane tank. We do not have natural gas lines and the electric lines run along miles of trees.

I am writing this to provide ideas for protection from a power grid outage. I don't have a wood stove but I wish that I did.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #26
B-O-B'03

The power was off most of yesterday too and I just left the Champion connected and running . It will run 1 furnace at a time, lighting and the 65 inch TV n the den and we can make coffee. With judicious management we have had no issues (other than finding out the toaster oven was a no-no).

I filled it up at midnight and noticed the neighbors had power, but decided to just leave it running. Got up at 6 to check/add fuel and notice the neighbors still had power (unclear if it had been on all night) so I switched back over to the grid and ran both furnaces and the pool pump, Power went off about 10 minutes to 8 and we are back on the champion.

I am very happy with this genny, it is starting on the first pull, after breaks of a couple of hours, in sub freezing temps and runs non-stop for 24 hours+ during the times I need it... $600 well spent

The DW in on the "whole house" generator bandwagon now, which would be nice, but I am not sure the payback would be very quick... although the last 3 days make it mighty appealing.

Having a wood burning fire place and gas appliances is also a good thing.

Stay safe everyone.

-Brian
Old 02-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
The power was off most of yesterday too and I just left the Champion connected and running . It will run 1 furnace at a time, lighting and the 65 inch TV n the den and we can make coffee. With judicious management we have had no issues (other than finding out the toaster oven was a no-no).

I filled it up at midnight and noticed the neighbors had power, but decided to just leave it running. Got up at 6 to check/add fuel and notice the neighbors still had power (unclear if it had been on all night) so I switched back over to the grid and ran both furnaces and the pool pump, Power went off about 10 minutes to 8 and we are back on the champion.

I am very happy with this genny, it is starting on the first pull, after breaks of a couple of hours, in sub freezing temps and runs non-stop for 24 hours+ during the times I need it... $600 well spent

The DW in on the "whole house" generator bandwagon now, which would be nice, but I am not sure the payback would be very quick... although the last 3 days make it mighty appealing.

Having a wood burning fire place and gas appliances is also a good thing.

Stay safe everyone.

-Brian
I just went out and purchased a transfer switch for my home today. Have to be prepared it looks like
Old 02-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

A whole house generator that automatically switches to gen power when the grid goes down is nice. That said, a 16KW generator is about $3600. That seems to be reasonable, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you commit and order the generator. Around here, there are two "blue collar professionals" that you'll need to hire to install the generator.

First, you'll need a plumber. The natural gas/propane regulator on the side of your house will not provide the amount of natural gas/propane to run the generator. A plumber will need to change out the regulator/meter and install larger sized gas pipes from the regulator to the generator. Plumbers here charge $750-1250 for that changeover.

Then, once the plumber is finished, you'll need an electrician to install the automatic transfer switch. If you choose a "full house 200 amp switch" it will cost about $500 (some generators come with the full house switch) and an electrician will charge around $1500 to install the switch and wire it to your home input/power panel.

If you choose a 50 or 100 amp "sub-panel" that costs about $350, the electrician will need to wire a "sub-panel" under your "main panel" and rewire some of your house circuits to work on both panels. That costs quite a bit more (around here) as there's more "rewiring of existing circuits"....

Total cost for installation of an automatic sub-panel system in this area runs about $1500 and can go as high as $2500.

So, "in these parts" it costs as much to install a $3600 16KW generator as it does for the generator. You can figure on around $7000 or even more for the modification.

There are other ways to accomplish the same power capability, but without the "luxury features". A Champion 10KW electric start "gas" generator runs about $900. There are "circuit breaker panel interlock kits" (about $60) that can be installed in one panel circuit breaker slot. You can install an exterior outlet to power that circuit breaker and then, with "manual switching, plugging in the generator and starting it, you can power your entire house with "enough power to stay warm (if you have a gas furnace), keep refrigerators/freezers operational and use most of the lighting/entertainment systems. Total cost, around $1000 if you can do the wiring and around $1500 if you need to hire an electrician.

Point of all this: If you're looking at a whole house generator, don't forget to factor in the installation, it's often as much or even more than the cost of the generator. And, if that's too much for you, there are some "low cost, fewer featured systems" that will power your home in an emergency situation.

Once this "crisis" is over, weigh your options and decide what best fits your needs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A whole house generator that automatically switches to gen power when the grid goes down is nice. That said, a 16KW generator is about $3600. That seems to be reasonable, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you commit and order the generator. Around here, there are two "blue collar professionals" that you'll need to hire to install the generator.

First, you'll need a plumber. The natural gas/propane regulator on the side of your house will not provide the amount of natural gas/propane to run the generator. A plumber will need to change out the regulator/meter and install larger sized gas pipes from the regulator to the generator. Plumbers here charge $750-1250 for that changeover.

Then, once the plumber is finished, you'll need an electrician to install the automatic transfer switch. If you choose a "full house 200 amp switch" it will cost about $500 (some generators come with the full house switch) and an electrician will charge around $1500 to install the switch and wire it to your home input/power panel.

If you choose a 50 or 100 amp "sub-panel" that costs about $350, the electrician will need to wire a "sub-panel" under your "main panel" and rewire some of your house circuits to work on both panels. That costs quite a bit more (around here) as there's more "rewiring of existing circuits"....

Total cost for installation of an automatic sub-panel system in this area runs about $1500 and can go as high as $2500.

So, "in these parts" it costs as much to install a $3600 16KW generator as it does for the generator. You can figure on around $7000 or even more for the modification.

There are other ways to accomplish the same power capability, but without the "luxury features". A Champion 10KW electric start "gas" generator runs about $900. There are "circuit breaker panel interlock kits" (about $60) that can be installed in one panel circuit breaker slot. You can install an exterior outlet to power that circuit breaker and then, with "manual switching, plugging in the generator and starting it, you can power your entire house with "enough power to stay warm (if you have a gas furnace), keep refrigerators/freezers operational and use most of the lighting/entertainment systems. Total cost, around $1000 if you can do the wiring and around $1500 if you need to hire an electrician.

Point of all this: If you're looking at a whole house generator, don't forget to factor in the installation, it's often as much or even more than the cost of the generator. And, if that's too much for you, there are some "low cost, fewer featured systems" that will power your home in an emergency situation.

Once this "crisis" is over, weigh your options and decide what best fits your needs.
This is what I got today... it’s the bare minimum for me. I may get a whole house unit in the future because I live on the water... Isabel really did a number on us in early 2000’s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F1224E1D-5205-4957-BE57-63C559B06A95.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	32033  
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Talked to my son a couple of days ago and we were discussing installing whole house auto generators (Generac). The quote he got was 18k for turn key installation.

Prior to leaving I had a 50A plug installed on our property for the 5th wheel. The company specialized in home generator installations (also Generac). I asked the owner to give me a ballpark figure for a genset that would power everything completely from natural gas, auto transfer to turn off and on by itself and remote monitoring (he never got back to me on that). He said he figured it could all be done for 15k.

For us, and I guess anyone, the question is if that kind of expenditure for that kind of "thing" can ever pay for itself. IMO the answer would be no, particularly when you live in an area like we do where extended power outages are all but non existent. On the other hand, if I had ended up in the hospital with a heart attack the other evening when I got SO infuriated with the way the power company was handling the situation, the cost consideration is then changed dramatically. We will probably do it since I don't want to get so "fired up" due to other folks negligence in the future and I figure the more wind and solar we depend on the more this will happen.

As a side note; when I was looking at the specs for a new Generac I noticed it said (if I read it correctly) that it needed to be exercised weekly. That's pretty hard to do when you are gone for 5 months so will have to look into that. We had hundreds of large generators at all of our facilities and we had a monthly run schedule...but they all ran on diesel. We shall see.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Talked to my son a couple of days ago and we were discussing installing whole house auto generators (Generac). The quote he got was 18k for turn key installation.

Prior to leaving I had a 50A plug installed on our property for the 5th wheel. The company specialized in home generator installations (also Generac). I asked the owner to give me a ballpark figure for a genset that would power everything completely from natural gas, auto transfer to turn off and on by itself and remote monitoring (he never got back to me on that). He said he figured it could all be done for 15k.

For us, and I guess anyone, the question is if that kind of expenditure for that kind of "thing" can ever pay for itself. IMO the answer would be no, particularly when you live in an area like we do where extended power outages are all but non existent. On the other hand, if I had ended up in the hospital with a heart attack the other evening when I got SO infuriated with the way the power company was handling the situation, the cost consideration is then changed dramatically. We will probably do it since I don't want to get so "fired up" due to other folks negligence in the future and I figure the more wind and solar we depend on the more this will happen.

As a side note; when I was looking at the specs for a new Generac I noticed it said (if I read it correctly) that it needed to be exercised weekly. That's pretty hard to do when you are gone for 5 months so will have to look into that. We had hundreds of large generators at all of our facilities and we had a monthly run schedule...but they all ran on diesel. We shall see.
I think generac makes a wireless start option. You may be able to do by WiFi
Old 02-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

These are two types of interlocks that quite a few people around here use:

https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Ge...55535038&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei...-garden&sr=1-1

There are several different models that fit different brands or styles of distribution panels. Essentially, it's an "interlock plate" that prevents the generator circuit breaker from being turned on unless the master circuit breaker is turned off. So, the interlock forces you to disconnect from the grid before you power up the generator circuit. It's UL approved and complies with the codes in this area. I'd almost bet that somewhere, in this "vast land" there's a code written where this device is illegal for use, so do your "home based research" before buying something that's not accepted for use by your specific utility company or building codes.

I put one in my BIL's house with a "240 volt breaker". It powers his whole house with a 5000 watt/240 volt Champion generator. About the only things he can't power are an electric dryer. His furnace and water heater are natural gas, so he has no other "big electrical users".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

When we built this house, I had a whole house system installed. Ours is a 14KW system with a 200 amp transfer switch. When the power goes off, the system starts and in about 15 seconds or so, the house comes back on "in stages" to prevent an overload with startup current requirements. If I understood the installer correctly, one side of the panel comes on then in about 3 seconds the other side comes on. Anyway, it's all automatic.

As for weekly "exercise checks", ours is all programmed into the generator control circuits. It starts automatically on Monday morning at 9AM, runs for 10 minutes, shuts down on its own. Fully automatic. There is a "load bank in the generator, so it applies a load "within itself without affecting power to the house circuits". It does the "exercise checks" whether we're here or not. For the first few years, I'd always cut the self check off when we left for any length of time. I was afraid that it might start running, "forget" and still be running a month later when we got home. Our dealer convinced me that there are backup monitors built into the generator control that would prevent that from happening. So, reluctantly, I've more or less, started ignoring my intuition and am letting the generator do its thing without me interfering.

Ours is 11 years old now and we've probably used it 8 or 9 "full days" since we installed it. That's less than 24 hours a year of "providing safe, reliable backup power" .... So, it's not something we use on a regular basis.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just install the same type system I put in for my BIL. About 1/10th the cost and does the same thing "manually" that the Generac does "automatically".... In this case, you really do "pay dearly" for automated features.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #34
B-O-B'03

Quote:
There are other ways to accomplish the same power capability, but without the "luxury features". A Champion 10KW electric start "gas" generator runs about $900. There are "circuit breaker panel interlock kits" (about $60) that can be installed in one panel circuit breaker slot. You can install an exterior outlet to power that circuit breaker and then, with "manual switching, plugging in the generator and starting it, you can power your entire house with "enough power to stay warm (if you have a gas furnace), keep refrigerators/freezers operational and use most of the lighting/entertainment systems. Total cost, around $1000 if you can do the wiring and around $1500 if you need to hire an electrician...
Hi John,

I have kind of the poor mans version of this right now, there is a 50 amp sub panel for the RV outlet on the driveway and I plug the 2.8/3.0 KW champion into that.

The jumper cable for the generator feeds both sides of the house breaker panel, but there is no 220 since the phase is the same.

I am the transfer switch, flipping the main in the breaker panel off and the 50 amp from the sub panel on. All outlets in the house are live and in addition to the items mentioned earlier the fridge in the house, the fridge and deep freeze in the garage, 3 cable boxes, internet stuff and the 30 amp service to the trailer out on the pad are all live. Using the main breaker this way is probably not a good solution, who know how many flips it will take to break it.

A bigger, stand-alone generator, that supplied 220 would be a better option, but then I would have to store it and drag it out when required.

I have priced generators, from various manufacturers and told the DW, as we were sitting in the cold, we could be 12 - 13K all in... she was OK with that and the automaticness/hands offness of it is really a key feature since it would work when we are not home or during the night in times like the current situation.

Decision, decisions... Maybe I will start a separate thread on whole home generators and see what folks have.

-Brian
Old 02-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #35
Silverdillo

freezin in the south

This is a heck of a storm, sitting back looking at the responses. We lost power 2am Sunday and came back about 4pm on Tuesday. I bought a Predator 3500 before the inauguration and had 8 hours of break-in time on it. I cranked it up at 2am and it ran for the entire time, never missed a beat and saved my butt. I'm buying a second one and already ordered my parallel kit. Nice crash course in general preparedness, I know I've found a few things I'm going to stick away for a just in case. Lowest we got that I saw was 16º and that was WAY too cold for this kid
Silverdillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This is what I got today... it’s the bare minimum for me. I may get a whole house unit in the future because I live on the water... Isabel really did a number on us in early 2000’s

I have the same one in my home and it works great; unfortunately my generator didn't cooperate for the past four days so we had no lights, heat, water, etc.... all those luxuries. I stink like cedar smoke as we burned a bunch of cedar the past few days.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have the same one in my home and it works great; unfortunately my generator didn't cooperate for the past four days so we had no lights, heat, water, etc.... all those luxuries. I stink like cedar smoke as we burned a bunch of cedar the past few days.
That’s good to hear that it works good..really sorry to hear about your generator..I don’t know what brand it is but I’ve bought generic parts for my champion one on Amazon ..I know you are a motorcycle carb specialist but if you need some generic parts quick they might have what you need..
Old 02-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #38
BigBobIa

22 years ago I was an IT guy working on multiple computer systems. I saw so much bad code dealing with dates I was sure there would be problems everywhere. So I bought a generator that would keep my house warm. But since then I have used it every couple years.

The derecho a few months ago killed power at our house for 6 days. We had lights, fridge, TV AND A/C on the 90° days. Everything but the electric dryer. Next door neighbor ran a cord for his fridge, a fan, and some lights.

The house gen is too big and loud for my baby toy hauler so I have a predator that runs a coffee maker, microwave, and the A/C. Another neighbor across the street had just processed half a cow. The small one kept their 300 pounds of steak frozen with the fridge, fan and lights on.

When shore power comes back on I always run the gen dry. After a couple days to make sure the power stays on, I add a cup of gas, warm it, change the oil, and run it dry again. Then try to remember to run a cup of gas once a year.

Y2K was a bust but been thankful for that gen many times since.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #39
wiredgeorge

Here is the storm getting started right before the lights went out on Sunday night and didn't come back on till this afternoon. Sure don't look like the Texas Hill Country!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storm1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	32045  
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Here is the storm getting started right before the lights went out on Sunday night and didn't come back on till this afternoon. Sure don't look like the Texas Hill Country!
It’s made it way here now ...was up all night picking my son up from the airport ,had to stay an extra 3 hours because they put his bag on wrong flight and we waited for it to arrive..I don’t know why I didn’t lift the windshield wipers on all the vehicles because I just went out and they are all frozen solid with more ice piling on.. I’m usually up by 6 but didn’t get to bed til 3 am.
It looks like I should get started on that transfer switch for the generator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66B61025-D8EE-4998-A9BE-0BD8AC736623.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	32048