Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2022, 06:01 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Shoutout to Tow Max Tires

Before people start jumping all over me, in no way shape or form am I recommending Tow Max tires. The other day I had to transport an RV. The guy had purchased it used 2 years ago and had it set up on a perm site and wasn’t at the RV so he didn’t know what the tires were. When I got there, it had the original Tow Max tires with 2010 date codes. Max PSI was 50, it was sitting on 35. After educating him on proper care for tires, even when parked, I had him agree that I was pulling his RV on ticking bombs and any damage due to a blown tire was not my fault. I topped the pressure off to 50 and started my 275 drive. I kept speed down to 60 max, stopped every 60ish miles to check temps and pressures. To the tires credit, made the 275 mile trip without incident. I really didn’t think they’d make it without at least one blowout.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
ChuckS

I would have refused to tow the thing with tires with that date code..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Does that horseshoe hurt when you're setting down? You should go buy a lotto ticket before your luck runs out. I would never hitch up to a trailer with 12 yr old ftires on it, I don’t care what brand they are.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Trust me, I wasn’t happy about it. That’s why I made him sign a release for damage. Yes, it was a risk, but a calculated one. My eyes were in the mirrors much more than normal that is for sure. He traded the trailer in for a.new one, moving that one today. That’ll be a little less concerning with new Good Year Endurance tires on it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
CWtheMan

There are all kinds of anecdotal answers for those tires. So, let’s look at them from a tire industry standard. The tire industry and USTMA have set a standard for tires found to be underinflated. It reads sort of like this; Tires found to have 80% or less than vehicle certified inflation pressures are considered to be in a “run flat” condition and should be inspected for internal damages. So, just maybe, luck didn’t have anything to do with those tires not failing.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There are all kinds of anecdotal answers for those tires. So, let’s look at them from a tire industry standard. The tire industry and USTMA have set a standard for tires found to be underinflated. It reads sort of like this; Tires found to have 80% or less than vehicle certified inflation pressures are considered to be in a “run flat” condition and should be inspected for internal damages. So, just maybe, luck didn’t have anything to do with those tires not failing.
They were never towed/run at that pressure, it I know even sitting can break down the rubber.

Tags
tires, tow