Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #81
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
I'm sure some of us are curious if your experiments revealed anything?? Or if you've received a better diagnosis of what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So far the pieces haven't turned dark, being wet or being put in the duct after being soaked. No color changes whatsoever.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #82
MattHelm21

I’m not sure if the intention was to put the test piece in the duct wet. If so, an interesting control would be to have an additional dry piece in the duct as well alongside the wet piece for comparison.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #83
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
I’m not sure if the intention was to put the test piece in the duct wet. If so, an interesting control would be to have an additional dry piece in the duct as well alongside the wet piece for comparison.
I have multiple pieces, wet and dry, in each test location. No color change in either. Even with mobile repair trying to find the issue, it's so frustrating
Old 03-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #84
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I have multiple pieces, wet and dry, in each test location. No color change in either. Even with mobile repair trying to find the issue, it's so frustrating

Very interesting..... I think it's safe to say you can eliminate water/moisture as the cause. Another thought I had, I wonder if they marked the area to be cut- out (traced a template) with a sharpie or similar type pen and it's staining or leeching from the ink, if they applied it very liberally?

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #85
Steveo57

I'm curious why the one edge doesn't seem to be affected. What is different along that edge?

When the discoloration started was there anything different occuring with regards to the environment that the flooring was subject to?

At least you're eliminating possibilities and can sleep better at night.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #86
Nomadicchefs

No pen marks or anything like that. I believe it started when we first started using the furnace. As for certain areas being dark, the register are really cheap metal. The grates have even bent some from walking over them, I believe the darker areas are from where the register is most snug against the floor. None of them fit perfectly, they each have an edge or something that's not entirely flush against the floor. Shotty production and materials is what I blame for that problem.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #87
Steveo57

Maybe you have the fancy color change flooring option package....[emoji16]

Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #88
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Maybe you have the fancy color change flooring option package....[emoji16]

Mood vents/flooring... the darker the hotter?

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #89
Nomadicchefs

this could be true haha
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #90
Nomadicchefs

Our remote tech has decided he can't help, and suggested going through Keystone. Keystone suggested going to our original dealer and our original dealer has merely offered to bring it back and drop it off. No one seems to understand we are in an area working and living in the rv and shacking up with a stranger next door with our dog isn't an option. I don't believe the furnace is the culprit anymore. I believe the issue lies In the cheap materials used in the flooring and vents. I know you have all offered so much amazing advice and tips, and I appreciate it very much. I have spoken to the top managers and demanded answers, but merely got, "bring it back to us and drop it off for a few weeks." Keystone told the local rv dealership they can't cover the warranty as they aren't my original dealer. That's just insane to me. If I bought a dodge in Florida and needed it repaired in California, I don't have to take it back to Florida for servicing. We have route66 that came "free" with our camper purchase, but they won't remotely come out unless I shell out several more hundred dollars. There are remote rv repair guys within 100 miles of us, and I will pay them to help. Keystone won't honor their warranties or back their product, that's fine. Lesson learned, but one way or another the issue will be resolved. Thanks for letting me vent, cry and everything else. Everyone stay safe out there in their travels!!!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #91
Steveo57

At this point it seems like it's some combination of temperature, moisture, chemical/contaminant interaction that appears to be cosmetic in nature and only affecting the edges of the flooring around that duct. If it was me I'd keep an eye on it and figure out how to trim out that register myself. I wouldn't waste my time with the dealer as they probably won't end up doing anything about it and if they did it would probably be a half a** fix that will take them weeks.

Of course if the discoloration continues to expand or shows up in other areas it might be time to push for new flooring?

And I don't understand the warranty repair only being done at the selling dealer? I agree that is a bunch of bull.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #92
Ken / Claudia

The mobile tech told you he can't help you. Could you please clarify, did he look at the RV and say no.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #93
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
The mobile tech told you he can't help you. Could you please clarify, did he look at the RV and say no.
The mobile tech is from the local dealership. Because they aren't my original dealer, Keystone won't reimburse them any warranty work. They also won't reimburse me, they only do those reimbursements to businesses. It's insanely dumb, the conversations I've had this morning are ridiculous. I'm going to keep an eye on this vent and work on closing up whatever air gap there is that could possibly be encouraging the moisture at that particular opening.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #94
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
The mobile tech is from the local dealership. Because they aren't my original dealer, Keystone won't reimburse them any warranty work. They also won't reimburse me, they only do those reimbursements to businesses. It's insanely dumb, the conversations I've had this morning are ridiculous. I'm going to keep an eye on this vent and work on closing up whatever air gap there is that could possibly be encouraging the moisture at that particular opening.
IMHO that’s the excuse the local dealer is using not to work on your unit. Your earlier post about buying in one area and needing work at another location needs some clarification. RV dealers are NOT bound to work on a unit they didn’t sell, unlike the auto industry. Dealerships are not franchises that have to meet any standards, they can sell any make model they want with geographical area being the only limiting factor. I feel your frustration and hope you can get the end result your hoping for.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #95
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
IMHO that’s the excuse the local dealer is using not to work on your unit. Your earlier post about buying in one area and needing work at another location needs some clarification. RV dealers are NOT bound to work on a unit they didn’t sell, unlike the auto industry. Dealerships are not franchises that have to meet any standards, they can sell any make model they want with geographical area being the only limiting factor. I feel your frustration and hope you can get the end result your hoping for.
I'm aware rv dealerships aren't bound to work on units, but why turn down the opportunity to make money? They have since called and are coming Thursday to do a full inspection of the furnace, ducting and underbelly. Keystone has denied reimbursement to them or myself, and I will be paying out of pocket. This is our home for work, and dropping it off for a month 4 hours away, not going to happen. Losing all the contents of the fridge, gas there and back to drop off and pick up will be more than the cost of the local service call and hourly rate. They're willing to help, they just were hoping for Keystone's blessing I guess. Either way, it's getting done. Like I said, lesson learned. We are new to full timing, but are learning so much along the way.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #96
Steveo57

I believe you have stumped the internet! Rarely does someone have an issue that can't be solved or identified by the vast experience and knowledge base that exists on these forums. [emoji848] [emoji122]

You have to do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel comfortable. It won't be wasted effort. You'll either find something or eliminate all the unknowns. In the end you'll know more about your trailer and that is valuable information that pays off in the long run!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #97
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I believe you have stumped the internet! Rarely does someone have an issue that can't be solved or identified by the vast experience and knowledge base that exists on these forums. [emoji848] [emoji122]

You have to do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel comfortable. It won't be wasted effort. You'll either find something or eliminate all the unknowns. In the end you'll know more about your trailer and that is valuable information that pays off in the long run!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks, I will ��
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #98
FlyingAroundRV

I thought of another test to try in addition to the water test. If you can find another scrap of material and get some contact adhesive, paint some of the contact adhesive along the cut edge of the scrap and then put it into the floor register for a while. I wonder whether the solvents in the adhesive have leached into the flooring and discolored the inks.
It's just a WAG, but you never know...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #99
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I thought of another test to try in addition to the water test. If you can find another scrap of material and get some contact adhesive, paint some of the contact adhesive along the cut edge of the scrap and then put it into the floor register for a while. I wonder whether the solvents in the adhesive have leached into the flooring and discolored the inks.
It's just a WAG, but you never know...
Thanks for another idea! I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #100
chuckster57
Site Team

Warranty work only pays what the factory rate/time allowed is. As a rule dealerships lose money on warranty repair, and I know a dealer in the area that won’t even work on what they sell.

Keep us in the loop, I’m curious to hear what they find.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, vent