Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
mgrote

maxxair vent covers

I recently bought Maxx air vent covers for our toy hauler. Here's my issue. the kitchen vent is a rain sensor that either opens all the way open or all the way closed. I was told that vent would take a Maxx air 2 so that's what I bought. I got it up there only to find out there isn't enough room to allow the vent cover to open fully and there isn't enough room on the fan frame to mount the cover higher to allow it to open fully. My question is: are the vent covers adjustable somehow that I'm not seeing to only open it within the space allowed by the vent cover? The open/close is built into the touch screen so I can't even stop it halfway like the rest of the trailer. All 3 vent covers actually don't allow the vent lid to fully open but at least I can manually open the other 2 and stop when it hits the vent cover.
mgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrote View Post
I recently bought Maxx air vent covers for our toy hauler. Here's my issue. the kitchen vent is a rain sensor that either opens all the way open or all the way closed. I was told that vent would take a Maxx air 2 so that's what I bought. I got it up there only to find out there isn't enough room to allow the vent cover to open fully and there isn't enough room on the fan frame to mount the cover higher to allow it to open fully. My question is: are the vent covers adjustable somehow that I'm not seeing to only open it within the space allowed by the vent cover? The open/close is built into the touch screen so I can't even stop it halfway like the rest of the trailer. All 3 vent covers actually don't allow the vent lid to fully open but at least I can manually open the other 2 and stop when it hits the vent cover.
You were told incorrectly.. here is what you needed for the Maxfan

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...covers/fanmate
Old 10-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
mgrote

Yes, that's the cover they sold me only they called it a Maxx air 2 cover.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Yes, that's the cover they sold me only they called it a Maxx air 2 cover.
This is a Maxx Air II https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...vers/maxxair-2
Old 10-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
mgrote

Looks like the guy at camping world didn't know his covers then because I definitely got 1 fanmate for the kitchen and 2 of the original Maxx air for the bathrooms. I very much dislike going to camping world but the trailer was there for warranty work so I picked up the covers while I was there.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Looks like the guy at camping world didn't know his covers then because I definitely got 1 fanmate for the kitchen and 2 of the original Maxx air for the bathrooms. I very much dislike going to camping world but the trailer was there for warranty work so I picked up the covers while I was there.
I hear you.. We haven't been in one since the owner asked me to stop doing business with him in 2016..
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
travelin texans

Your vents have limit switches built into them, they will open as far as they can against the cover & stop. They will open enough to allow plenty of air flow, yet keep the rain out.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
mgrote

So I don't need to adjust the limit switch on that fan then? Just mount the cover and it's good to go?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
mikec557

Quote:
So I don't need to adjust the limit switch on that fan then? Just mount the cover and it's good to go?
Correct. Mount it. The fan will sense when the lid is up against the cover and stop on its own. We had the same cover on our MaxxAir fan, with rain sensor, for a year and a half full timing. It always worked perfectly. Mount the cover and move on to the other mods you know you want to do. ;-)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Just my opinion but purchasing all your RV parts and accessories from CW is like buying your weekly groceries at 7-11. JMO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
MerlinB

If you put a cover over your vent you don't need a rain sensor. Disable it. Problem solved.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #12
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
If you put a cover over your vent you don't need a rain sensor. Disable it. Problem solved.
Tain't necessarily so. Blowing rain can get in a vent cover and having the rain protection feature disabled could leave you with a wet disaster. As stated the vent will open until it hits the added cover and stop. There will be plenty of opening to get good air flow, you will have normal rain protection, and with the rain sensor working you will be protected from a hard blowing rain.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #13
jasin1

So does everyone run a fantastic fan on high speed most of the time? I was going to install my maxaire 2 on my fan tomorrow. I want both fan covers to match and i don’t see myself having the fan on high all the time so the limited height vs the fanmate doesn’t seek to be an issue. Even on high it probably moves its air at capacity just at a higher velocity possibly and maybe slight elevated noise.
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #14
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
So does everyone run a fantastic fan on high speed most of the time? I was going to install my maxaire 2 on my fan tomorrow. I want both fan covers to match and i don’t see myself having the fan on high all the time so the limited height vs the fanmate doesn’t seek to be an issue. Even on high it probably moves its air at capacity just at a higher velocity possibly and maybe slight elevated noise.
I installed 2 fantastic fans in the GF's 5th wheel. One has a remote and 10? speeds, the other a basic 3 speed. The 10 Spd model I also put the cover on and on high speed is noisy. Slow it to 6-7 and noticeably quieter. We have it in NW FL and it doesn't get used much in the summer, too hot and humid. The 3 Spd model is in the bath, replacing the typical tiny fan stock model. It is usually on low which is enough to remove excess shower humidity and "stink". No cover on that one. If you are running the air conditioner either one tends to suck out the cool making the air conditioner run more.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
mgrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just my opinion but purchasing all your RV parts and accessories from CW is like buying your weekly groceries at 7-11. JMO
I agree. But unfortunately, they were the only place that had the make and model we wanted so we bought the trailer from there. It had warranty work that needed to be done so I bought the covers while I was there otherwise would have bought them online elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I agree. But unfortunately, they were the only place that had the make and model we wanted so we bought the trailer from there. It had warranty work that needed to be done so I bought the covers while I was there otherwise would have bought them online elsewhere.
I totally get it. I've bought a few things from them. A couple of on line clearance items and a couple of things from a store out of "convenience" while traveling.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #17
jasin1

I also bought max air 2 vents for my 315rls. As far as the fantastic fan it looks like I will have to use drill tipped screws. Because of the way the frame of the fan is constructed.
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #18
Javi

Before picking up the new Avalanche I had the dealer put a 3 speed Maxx fan in the bath to match the one in the kitchen and covers on both.

They're both set on low and work very well at that speed.

The vents usually stay open and we turn the fans on as needed.

I had trouble with the rain sensor on my last trailer and so on my list of things I do as soon as I get a new trailer is disconnect the rain sensors.

During the heat of summer I find that turning both fans and the a/c on really helps with cooling the trailer down more quickly.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #19
khosier

I had them installed on mine. Mine are the same as you described. They just open against the cover as far as they can. Seems to be enough. They stay open until I close them. I sprayed some water up there and they still closed like they were supposed to.
khosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #20
jimborokz

We have three Maxairs and I went thru three sets of covers before I realized you just let the lid hit the cover and stop. Actually the second set I returned to the local dealer because CW had the same one on clearance at half price. I saw a test online that measured the air flow and the cover doesn't reduce it at all. As for the rain sensors ours will close occasionally if it's real windy and rainy but usually they stay open all the time.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent