Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2024, 03:33 PM   #1
LHaven

Repair shop recommendations, Lake Charles & east?

Made it into Louisiana today (I-10), pulled into the CG, and my slide seized up on me halfway out and went BANG. I took off the slide (fascia? valance?) so I could view the problem, and found it had snapped the threaded stud in half at the end of one of the OUT cables. No chance of me jerry-rigging a fix. I managed to get the slide back in without incident, and we'll be leaving it closed until we can get it fixed. The bedroom has its own outer door, so we can sleep at night and roll during the day

So we don't need a mobile service, but if anyone has a repair shop in the I-10 corridor in LA or eastbound that they just love and can get stuff fixed on short notice, please recommend.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:24 PM   #2
dutchmensport

Ah! THAT is the reason I now always carry extra cables, the crimper, and the cable wire cutter.... so when they break, I can fix my own. For what it's worth, about 4 weeks ago I fixed my 7th broken cable in 5 years. Like yours, they always break at the end.

I'm also in Louisiana right now. Been here for almost 3 months, staying at the Audubon State Historic Site at St. Francisville. Unfortunately, I'm returning back home to Indiana on March 30. It's been a fabulous experience here working and helping out on a historic plantation. Awesome experience .... simply awesome! .... well .... I felt much better about everything once I got that broken slide cable replaced! THEN it was awesome!
Old 03-19-2024, 04:10 PM   #3
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Ah! THAT is the reason I now always carry extra cables, the crimper, and the cable wire cutter.... so when they break, I can fix my own. For what it's worth, about 4 weeks ago I fixed my 7th broken cable in 5 years. Like yours, they always break at the end.
If you could be so kind and share the make and model of the tools, size of stainless cable and connectors, it would be greatly appreciated. We already travel with an assortment of spares, and tools. Spare water pump, spare hot water heater controller, generator, 20 lb propane bottles for generator, 3/4" drive with only the sockets that are needed, 1/2" torque wrench, air compressor, thermo-fuses for the fridge exhaust stack, etc. So some spare cable for the slide and fittings aren't going to be an issue!

Thanks

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Ah! THAT is the reason I now always carry extra cables, the crimper, and the cable wire cutter.... so when they break, I can fix my own.
Brought the rig into the nearest Camping World today, first ever time I have used CW*. The tech explained that he has to disassemble all the raceways on the side of the assembly just to replace the cable, which is something I wouldn't be up to doing, certainly not on the road. Also he showed me that there was a piece of ski protruding from the side, quite possibly what jammed the slide in the first place. He can take us tomorrow, and will fix it all... for four figures.

We were late getting to CW today because we picked up a something in a tire and had a slow deflate on I-10. By great good fortune, this happened right where there was a DOT wrecker already deployed (or maybe we picked up a piece of his wreck, don't know yet). Two guys came over from it with impact tools and got me back on the road with my good spare in 15-20 minutes.

Then as we were unhitching at the CG today, DW announced a weld separating on her side of the ProPride hitch.

Seriously, these past two days have been the trip from hell. Tonight was a two (large) margarita night.

Tomorrow, we hit the tire shop, then CW, then a welder on the way home. Hopefully the hitch will persevere until the end of that trip.

*Why did I select CW? Because I'm having the repair done halfway across the country, I got a promise that the work was warrantied for 12 months, and if it didn't take, my local CW would honor the warranty. And I got it recorded at my end "to improve customer service."
Old 03-20-2024, 06:19 AM   #5
GlasNav

C D: May I suggest that you don't put off or delay the welding repairs on your ProPride Hitch. Although Jim Hensley's design is wonderful, that mechanism captures significant forces within the assembly to remove sway. These forces obviously exert stress on the components and housing. Recommend you locate a welder other than Bubba with a buzz box and have the assembly welded properly. Not a pass over the cracked weld, arc out or grind out the affected weld and then welded with the correct tensile strength material (rod or wire) and at the proper amperage as not to weaken the assembly.
You might even consider reaching out to ProPride for guidance!

This isn't hunches and guesses, I do know something about welding, etc.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 03-20-2024, 07:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, unless things have changed recently, ProPride has a "lifetime warranty" for the original purchaser. If that warranty is in force for this hitch, then welding on any part of it will likely void any factory support, unless the welding is a part of a ProPride approved repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:06 AM   #7
LHaven

ProPride writes: "Yes, it can be repaired. They will need to clean up the welding surface, remove paint, rust, ect and weld. Just keep an eye on it, you caught it before it ripped completely."
Old 03-20-2024, 01:59 PM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
ProPride writes: "Yes, it can be repaired. They will need to clean up the welding surface, remove paint, rust, ect and weld. Just keep an eye on it, you caught it before it ripped completely."
Nice to see a manufacturer stand behind their specialty product!!!

2021 Cougar 25RDS