Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
CBRV

Our fender is blowing away!

Hi. We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar 21rbs. The fenders over the wheels keep losing the screws that attach the fenders to the trailer, and we wind up with fenders flapping in the wind while we're driving down the highway. The existing screws do not have nuts.
I'd like to replace the current screws with new screws with locknuts, but have been told that the fenders are meant to be able to easily rip off in the case of a tire blow-out.
Is that the case?
Then how do we keep the darn things from flying off on the highway?
Thanks!
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
travelin texans

Fix them the way that makes you happy!
The best plan is to have good tires, keep an eye on them so as to avoid blowouts, not design the RV so it breaks easily as a plan for a blowout. Whoever told you that BS can do that, or rather not do it, if they choose, but I'd fix the problem.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Frank G

Get some #8 screws, washers, lock washers or locking nuts. Paint the head of the screws. You are good for the life of your unit and serviceable as required.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I used stainless steel #8 screws with stainless locknuts. Put a rubber O-ring of proper size under the screw head (to prevent excess pressure that will crack the plastic fender skirt) and secure in place. Don't overtighten the nylock. If you use the "cheap steel screws" you may find rust stains running down from each screw after a couple months of being exposed to the rain.

You'll probably need a 1/8" drill bit to enlarge the holes so the #8 screws will fit through the hole. Just be careful not to drill too deeply or you might find a small hole on the inside of the slide.... Just saying.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Mates Family

I was having the same issue when my Cougar 301SAB was new. I have mine them bolted on now. I also had a blowout a couple of weeks ago and the fender flew off without any difficulty. I was able to re-mount the fender with the same bolts by adding a washer under the heads.
Mates Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Those fenders are so flimsy that the retaining screws aren't going to keep them on in the event of a blowout.

I lost the fenders on this trailer multiple times initially simply due to their construction (split for slides). My solution was to use the original screws with painted "finishing" washers under them (to spread the tension and keep from cracking the fender) and 8x32 speed nuts on the back side. Haven't lost a fender again. I do check them before/after every trip and occasionally have to slightly tighten one or two. If they ever cause me grief again I will go to the screw/washer/nylock nut remedy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
CBRV

Thank you all.
I think we will go with the locknut plan, and add the washers under the screwhead, and just keep an eye on the tires, as we ought to anyway.
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
larryflew

IMO either way you are likely needing a new fender after the tire explosion. Use the bolt and lock washers. Had blowouts that did that with original screws. When I put the new ones on I did the bolts. IF your lucky they would just make the holes larger when they blow off and that works either way.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 AM   #9
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRV View Post
Hi. We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar 21rbs. The fenders over the wheels keep losing the screws that attach the fenders to the trailer, and we wind up with fenders flapping in the wind while we're driving down the highway. The existing screws do not have nuts.
I'd like to replace the current screws with new screws with locknuts, but have been told that the fenders are meant to be able to easily rip off in the case of a tire blow-out.
Is that the case?
Then how do we keep the darn things from flying off on the highway?
Thanks!
Have the exact same trailer. Good info. I will upgrade. My big issue with those fenders is the way they extend down and curve in between the tires. Makes it a real PITA putting in the X chocks. I keep wanting to cut that off and make the fender more or less straight across. Anybody think of a downside to that?

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
BradLV

Glad to see this thread, one of mine almost blew off, too! Dealer fixed it but with the oem screws, of course. Will have to try replacing with locknuts.
BradLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
getsomesun1

Same problem happened to me while on the road. I eventually went with nuts and washers as suggested but while on the road I just moved a screw from the rear of the Fender to the front and then re-caulked the Fender to the Body where it had come loose.

This prevented Air from getting under the front portion of the fender and pulling it loose again until I got home to fix permanently.

the Caulk is important for not only keeping water from between the fender and the body but keeping air out as you travel.

JMO
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
mhbell

When I still had my 2016 cougar I used aluminum pop rivets in place of screws. Never had a problem after that and the aluminum rivets are easy to drill out if needed to remove the fender.
Mel
Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
patyacht

Keystone Crap

Same issue with my Keystone Raptor 398TS. Keystone builds weak crap!!!
patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #14
Scubadad

I went to the hardware store a bought cable clamps for screwing cables to a wall. Then just backed the existing screws up and put the screw through the clamp on the back. Drove from coast to coast and and not one back out.
Scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
tubacjohn

Keystone uses these screws to save money! They use them everywhere in the unit. I used pop rivets with backup washers. Could also put a drop of silicone on the inside end of the screws. I got tired of the screws falling out.
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #16
KParadis

I had the same problem. I caulked the entire backside of all the screws. So far it seems to have fixed my problem of screws backing out in transit.
KParadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
Greggde

Ditto for our brand new 2019 373 fusion along with numerous other problems
gregg
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
DarkElf

If your screws are going into metal, go to HD and get yourself some of the BLUE Loctite. It says removable on the label. The blue is the one you use on screws that you may want to get out one day.
Trust me. I use that stuff all the time in my line of work as a tool maker. As long as you use it as directed it will keep the screws from loosening.
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #19
Topglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KParadis View Post
I had the same problem. I caulked the entire backside of all the screws. So far it seems to have fixed my problem of screws backing out in transit.
This is exactly what I did to every single screw front to back on our Bullet. Tightened them and put a dab of RTV on the back. 4 years and haven’t lost one yet.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
jdmiller

Fender Flap

I had the same problem with my Cougar fenders. My fix was to use clear silicone across the top of the fender wiping it smooth across the top with my finger, it is nearly invisible. For the screws, I loosened each screw, put silicone under each head, and tightened them again. I have not had this problem again.
jdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote