Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
johnnyringo

Trip report. The good and the not so good

A week after we purchased our Bullet Premier Ultra Lite 22RBPR (our first ever TT) we departed FL on August 2 in search of cool weather. Prior to leaving I had converted the rear air suspension on our 05 GMC Envoy to coil springs with Air Lift air bags. Along the way I experimented with different air pressures and tension settings on the WDH. I came up with a combination that works well for me. We cruise down the highway in the low 60's effortlessly. We stopped in Frankfort, KY to tour the Buffalo Trace Bourbon distillery (good choice) and attend the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. We found cool weather in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 46 this morning.

We had and still have a problem with the frig shutting down while we're underway.

The biggest problem we encountered was the slide out had a major malfunction when me wife went to run it out in Mackinaw City. Bad noises!! She stopped when it was about half way out. I could see that had deployed crooked, by about 5" at that point. I attempted to retract it, but it was not happy and would not close on the front most edge.

I looked in the owners manual and called the manufacturer listed only to find that the manufacturer listed is incorrect. Turns out it's a Norco. This was on a Friday. I called Norco and was connected with voicemail to a tech support person. An hour later with no call back after two calls, I called again and expressed my displeasure. I was then given the cell number of the tech support manager. I left a message. He responded within 15 minutes or so and was VERY helpful. He gave me the link to the on line manual and diagnosed the problem. One set of the operating cables had come loose and the chain had jumped on the drive sprocket causing the slide to be out of sync side to side.

I found a dealer in the general area and, leaving the TT, drove over. They were booked solid and could offer no assistance in making the repair for a week. The service manager gave me a few tips and calmed my fears of the slide falling out as I worked to make temporary repairs. The slide has to be at least half way out to reach the drive assy and cables. In order to gain access, the facia trip on the upper portion of the slide has to be removed. Of course it was all installed with a brad nailer. Got it removed without damaging and began the chore of affecting a repair. Did what I could to get it mostly back to where it was. I made an appointment to return to the dealer next week to have him properly finish the job and re-install the facia trim.

The obvious cause of the problem, IMHO, is that the jam nuts on the cable to chain adjusters were never tightened.

Now, some good news. The wireless backup camera that another on this board had installed is a fabulous addition. I am in his debt! To top it off, the best price I could find was at no other than Camping World!!!
The other fellow who posted his install of the surge protector along with the addition of another wall plug is another genius idea. That plug is the most used of them all!

Another is that the furnace kicks ***! Puts out more heat that would have expected.

I was worried about LP gas consumption. I am happy to announce that we are still in still running on the first 20# bottle since leaving home.

That's it for now. We have little to no internet access up here. We're in a user friendly resort dining room to write this.

My sincere thanks to all on these boards who have taken the time to coach us newbies. JR
Old 09-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Not sure if you have a transmission cooler besides the hose routed thru the vehicle radiator. If not adding it will likely save the tranny when pulling the TT. As a note I have had a 02 TB with the I6 engine 4x4 ext. The engine as power that is for sure. I dumped the "P" tires for LT tires and found a difference in vehicle handling on the first turn in the road. For the better. Those vehicles have a real soft suspension. Not much more than a older station wagon. I tow my boat about 4,000 lbs to the local ramps but, without having a tranny temp gauge or 2nd cooler added I will not take it on long trips. I have the F350 for that. In days past I burned up 2 transmissions pulling RVs without having a 2nd cooler, I learned the hard way.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
johnnyringo

Thanks Ken & Claudia: Where did they mount the additional trans cooler? in front of the radiator does not seem like an ideal spot. JR
Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
mfifield01

What temps did those transmissions get up to?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I am talking of several tow vehicles and adding a cooler to all including the f350. It had one but was to small. You want the cooler in front of everything else to get best performance. My f350 even has a electric fan with switch to turn on and force air thru it. It is helpful at lower than highway speeds and highway speeds on mt. passes in hot summer temps.
I ever had tranny temp gauges until this F350. The charts I have read said 220 or higher starts to burn up the fluid and ruin the transmission. Maybe some can run higher now days. If it does start to over heat, stop driving the vehicle and idle at roadside, it should cool down. Shutting down will increase the temp.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Thanks Ken & Claudia: Where did they mount the additional trans cooler? in front of the radiator does not seem like an ideal spot. JR
I owned a Buick Rainier, the Envoy's little brother. I did a write up over on trailvoy.com years ago when I installed my aux. trans cooler. Click this link. The GMT360's never were equipped with proper trans coolers or transmission temp gauges. As previously mentioned, a component of the radiator was used for cooling the transmission fluid. As far as a temp gauge, you can buy yourself an OBD2 bluetooth connector and download the Torque app on a Android device. That's what I did. If you have any questions regarding your Envoy, a great resource is gmtnation.com. All the senior gearheads over at trailvoy.com left several years ago to form gmtnation.com because of poor site management by the site's owner, Verticalscope. I'm still a forum member there, not on Trailvoy though.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Thanks Buster for posting the web information. I have been on the trailvoy site and few list anything as you said. Older articles on it have some good information.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Thanks Buster for posting the web information. I have been on the trailvoy site and few list anything as you said. Older articles on it have some good information.
Yeah, all the contributing senior members on trailvoy initiated a mass exodus when gmtnation was formed. Verticalscope owns a predominate number of automotive forums and exploit members for their own capitalistic gains. GMTnation is one of the best forums I've ever been a part of as the members and moderators are welcoming, extremely knowledgeable, and continue the doctrine teachings of "the Roadie".
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I am now a member gmt nation.