Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #21
NH_Bulldog

So leaving the campground today, I selected auto-retract rear jacks and once they were up, I had the option for auto-hitch and pressed enter and it brought the front right back up to where I had disconnected, and I was able to back right in and connect without issue or any adjustment.

When I got home and disconnected, I found that I had to navigate back to the main screen after lowering the front legs before auto-level would work, but at least now I know what it takes to have it work correctly

I am still not sure why I don’t have the drop front jacks option like the manual tells me I am supposed to but thanks to everyone graciously sharing their knowledge, I am pretty confident that I know enough now to be successful.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:48 AM   #22
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
So leaving the campground today, I selected auto-retract rear jacks and once they were up, I had the option for auto-hitch and pressed enter and it brought the front right back up to where I had disconnected, and I was able to back right in and connect without issue or any adjustment.

When I got home and disconnected, I found that I had to navigate back to the main screen after lowering the front legs before auto-level would work, but at least now I know what it takes to have it work correctly

I am still not sure why I donít have the drop front jacks option like the manual tells me I am supposed to but thanks to everyone graciously sharing their knowledge, I am pretty confident that I know enough now to be successful.

So they can teach an old dog new tricks!

Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:38 AM   #23
RollaMo

Quote:
Another strange one, that is different than how mine works.

For mine, there is no need to "auto-retract rear jacks" first.

5th wheel set up at campsite, and when I am ready to leave:

1. Turn power to display on.
2. Scroll through options until "Auto Reconnect" shows on display.
3. Press enter. Rear jacks will raise first, then front jacks will extend to raise trailer to the height where the auto level sequence was started.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:30 AM   #24
Stircrazy

Quote:
what's your controller look like? I'm almost wondering if the controllers are different, because mine will never tell me auto hitch is available I have to try hit the two buttons and see if it moves or not.

you shouldn't have to retract rears before hitting auto hitch, that should be in its sequence, maybe you just didn't notice that first. unfortunate the auto hitch only works if your front moves a certain way when you start your auto hitch. I always try to use it but rarely does it work for me due to the way the sites I use cause it to level, or the way I set up my front jacks.. maybe I'll take a look at that again, like you I usually just auto retract rear then manually adjust to hitch Hight
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:36 AM   #25
NH_Bulldog

This is my controller and this is the instruction sticker on the opposite wall in the passthrough.

In theory (I have not tested yet), I am supposed to be able to press Auto Hitch and it will follow a sequence that retracts the rear jacks first, then raises the front of the 5th wheel to the point where the hitch was disconnected and the Auto Level sequence originally started. Again, that is not something I have tested yet and it is not the process described on the instruction label (which says to push left and right buttons at the same time to retract rear jacks, and then front will return to hitching height.

On the instruction sticker, it does say to turn the unit on, press the Down Arrow until Drop Front Jacks is displayed, then press Enter. Front legs will lower to ground and stop. This is the part that my control does not give me. However, I found that I can manually ground the front jacks by lowering them both to the point where the first jack makes contact, then I can then press the left or right button at the same time as the front jack button and that jack will continue until it meets the ground. Once both jacks are touching the ground, I can then just continue to raise the front end using the front jack button, disconnect and then Auto Level.

It's just weird that the controller and functions match the instructions in some cases, but not in others. I just sent a detailed email to Lippert so we'll see what they have to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	47088   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	47089  
Old 05-28-2024, 07:22 AM   #26
tallen

Don't forget you can do all this from the phone app too. The app will allow you to swap between "side" and corners" which just means. lower both fronts at same time, or lower just one front at a time.

I can say with mine, once I raise the trailer off my truck and move the truck, I can just hit that big auto level button and it will do it thing, but to be completely honest I use my phone 98% of the time. I like to walk around the trailer and watch each jack or one side at a time, etc.

I am going to see if mine shows the "Drop Front Jacks" when i get home today.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:00 AM   #27
jasin1

iím wondering if all of this talk is gonna jinx people who are used to doing the un hitching and auto level the same way every time.

Itís gonna mess with our heads when we didnít even think much about it beforeÖitís like if you want to have some fun ask a golfer or a bowler if they inhale or exhale when they release or hit the ballÖ.they will say ď you know i never really thought about it beforeĒÖ.well they will the next couple of times and probably throw their game off lol
Old 05-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #28
NH_Bulldog

I have not heard back from Lippert yet, but I did find a thread on a GD forum where a user had the exact same issue with the menu/options that I am experiencing. After they made multiple trips to the dealer, had the control panel replaced, had the control board replaced (more than once), reset the system, re-homed the jacks (again and again) and it finally came down to a software update where Lippert removed the 'Drop Front Jacks" option from the display options (along with a few other "fixes") that match the options on my system.

It sounds like I have the "updated" software/firmware version(s) and that the printed manual and the printed instruction stickers (probably produced years ago) have not been updated to match. I am not having any luck finding what my current version is, so I can't compare it to anything yet. I will report back once I hear something from Lippert.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:38 PM   #29
Raptor Dave

Quote:
I have not heard back from Lippert yet, but I did find a thread on a GD forum where a user had the exact same issue with the menu/options that I am experiencing. After they made multiple trips to the dealer, had the control panel replaced, had the control board replaced (more than once), reset the system, re-homed the jacks (again and again) and it finally came down to a software update where Lippert removed the 'Drop Front Jacks" option from the display options (along with a few other "fixes") that match the options on my system.

It sounds like I have the "updated" software/firmware version(s) and that the printed manual and the printed instruction stickers (probably produced years ago) have not been updated to match. I am not having any luck finding what my current version is, so I can't compare it to anything yet. I will report back once I hear something from Lippert.

That's the type of frustrating crap that'll send you thru the loonie bin.

Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:37 AM   #30
Stircrazy

Quote:
This is my controller and this is the instruction sticker on the opposite wall in the passthrough.
so that looks like an update version on mine the retract button is below the enter button. so for me to drop my front jacks I just hit the arrow pointing up a (front) and they drop. to lift them i hit the retract first then that same button. the only time I go into the menu at all I believe is when I use auto retract rear and auto retract all. to do hitch Hight I just hit the left and right buttons and it aromatically retracts the rears then sets the front to the unhitch high if it moved the right way first when I unhooked.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:18 AM   #31
NH_Bulldog

*UPDATE*

I received a response from Lippert to my question/observation on the operation of the system. As I suspected, they updated the software, but did not update the manual or the instruction sticker to match the way the system now operates. I had outlined that I did not have the "Drop Front Jacks" option and had to manually lower the front jacks, but that I did have the "Retract Rear Jacks" option.

Lippert responded:

"Hi Robert,

Thanks for reaching out.

You are correct, the instructions have not been updated for the newest version of the leveling system. You are correct in your way of retracting rear jacks and using hitch height. Unfortunately, I do not have an updated instructional sticker or manual at this time.

Let us know if you have any questions"

So there you have it. It looks like there is no "standard" and I will just have to experiment with it to find what works for my particular version of the system
Old 05-30-2024, 09:24 AM   #32
jaredjohn4

Ground Control 3.0

I have 2015 Keystone Cougar and have had a few problems with the ground control unit. After talking to their tech support on the phone, it seems that the legs really need to move 8 inches to help the system know what's going on. So I no longer put down a lot of pads before lowering the legs. I measure from the pad to the leg and make sure there is at least 7 inches before pressing ground front legs. Things have worked a lot better since. The phone tech support has come through every time I have needed them. Sometimes it seemed strange, unhooked from truck and still needed to retract all, but it worked.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:39 AM   #33
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjohn4 View Post
I have 2015 Keystone Cougar and have had a few problems with the ground control unit. After talking to their tech support on the phone, it seems that the legs really need to move 8 inches to help the system know what's going on. So I no longer put down a lot of pads before lowering the legs. I measure from the pad to the leg and make sure there is at least 7 inches before pressing ground front legs. Things have worked a lot better since. The phone tech support has come through every time I have needed them. Sometimes it seemed strange, unhooked from truck and still needed to retract all, but it worked.
This happened to me last time out. I used to put 4x4's under the rear jacks and triple stacked 4x4's on the front, hit auto level and bam! Done. But now I can't use the 4x4's in the rear, I have 2x 10's under the rear and one stack of 4x4 in the front and now it works. When I had it the first way described it said, "Out of stroke" which is impossible since they didn't even start moving yet.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:58 AM   #34
NH_Bulldog

I just wanted to add an update.

I received a call from Keystone yesterday and the caller said he received a note from LCI regarding my inquiry on the operation of the system vs. the instructions on the sticker and in the manual. I sent him a picture of the instruction sticker, plus pictures of each of the screen options on the controller. He said that they would review everything and work on an updated instruction sheet/sticker. He thanked me for bringing it to their attention and apologized for any issues.

I know that some people have issues with their dealers and by extension Keystone, but over the years I have had nothing but great interactions with Keystone. I am not always the easiest person to deal with, but I find that treating them as I want to be treated has paid dividends. They have always been personable, friendly, helpful and genuine. This is one of the main reasons I chose to buy my second Keystone trailer with no regrets.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:16 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I just wanted to add an update.

I received a call from Keystone yesterday and the caller said he received a note from LCI regarding my inquiry on the operation of the system vs. the instructions on the sticker and in the manual. I sent him a picture of the instruction sticker, plus pictures of each of the screen options on the controller. He said that they would review everything and work on an updated instruction sheet/sticker. He thanked me for bringing it to their attention and apologized for any issues.

I know that some people have issues with their dealers and by extension Keystone, but over the years I have had nothing but great interactions with Keystone. I am not always the easiest person to deal with, but I find that treating them as I want to be treated has paid dividends. They have always been personable, friendly, helpful and genuine. This is one of the main reasons I chose to buy my second Keystone trailer with no regrets.

I would have to 2nd your assessment. I think it's in the way the situation is documented and how Keystone is approached. I've had good luck with them and they have gone above and beyond for me at times IMO. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself....but I'm out of warranty and this should be my last trailer so there's that.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 02:10 PM   #36
markdol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Starting to worry about this thread, most of you know what happened to Major Tom, Ground Control wasn't any help!
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way. Thats funny !