Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
METCO

Fresh water tank filling on city water

I've read many of the other post and all seem to discuss the pump as the issue. I'm not sure that is my case. My water has a valve that one has to choose city or tank. I've never used my freshwater tank and it's only been run during the demo when I purchased it new from a dealer. The dealer says to bring in in and they will get to it as it's under warrantee. BIG deal. I live in this all summer. I'm not living in the dealers lot. The city water is leaking into the freshwater tank and a steady stream. Any Ideas? this is an example of my city/tank connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BA0CED6-D951-4CC4-9DDE-096292CED3F5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	47047  
METCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:22 AM   #2
Martian

Your problem lies with the pump also. That lever controls the input to system or tank but even on street water there is pressure in all the water lines. This includes the water pump and the check valve in the pump keeps the water from backfeeding into the tank. There are various ways to try and clear debris from the pump check valve but sooner or later the check valves tend to fail. The only sure way to make sure it never happens is to put a check valve in the suction line that feeds the tank water to the pump. This will work no matter what shape the check valve is in.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:35 PM   #3
Fish-a-Palooza

I realize what you were saying about living on the Dealers lot all summer but just in case, The Dealer will not allow you to live on their lot as their insurance won't allow it. Good luck with the fix.

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:54 AM   #4
CBears

@Martian is correct about everything. The only nuance I might add here is, when I set up my pump cabinet I put the brass check valve between the pump and the rest of the plumbing. IE after the pump, not before. Iím wondering if that might be better in your case since you never use your pump. That way no pressure from city water ever gets to your pump at all.

In either case this should fix your problem.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 CC XLT 7.3 Godzilla w/4.30
WDH: Eaz-Lift Recurve R3 1,200
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

In the picture attached in the op, there is one hose connection to both fill the FW tank and run city water. Therefore, the selector valve can fail and not divert water but rather feed both output lines. Those valves typically have O rings inside to separate the water flow. If you turn that valve while the water is turned on it can dislodge or destroy the O ring causing the valve to fail.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:36 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In the picture attached in the op, there is one hose connection to both fill the FW tank and run city water. Therefore, the selector valve can fail and not divert water but rather feed both output lines. Those valves typically have O rings inside to separate the water flow. If you turn that valve while the water is turned on it can dislodge or destroy the O ring causing the valve to fail.
Its NOT the water pump, they RARELY fail. With the OP's selector valve( same one I have) My money is on the valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
bobbecky

When our tank filled years ago, it was definitely the check valve in the pump. I resolved this problem with an inline Sharkbite check valve. Initially, I installed it on the suction side of the pump, but quickly discovered the suction side fittings at the pump were not capable of handling the pressure, and moved the check valve to the pressure side of the pump, and haven't had an issue since. The check valve is the brass device on the blue line above the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new check valve.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	47068  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:06 PM   #8
GlasNav

I had the same issue, turned out to be debris in the pump diaphragm allowing the city water pressure to back feed thru the pump into and overflowing the fresh water tank.

Simplest fix is to install a check valve on the intake side of the water pump.

You can open up the pump and clean out the tiny debris, but that won't be the last time, god only knows how many tiny pieces of plastic are in that tank form when it was installed.

Those valve assemblies at your connection rarely fail. I made a replacement for it from Home Depot parts only to find there was nothing wrong with the original valve assembly, others have found the same thing. All this happened while camping at Fort Pickens on Pensacola Beach which is a very long way from town for parts, etc...

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:11 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech, Iíve seen more valves fail than the water pumpÖ..just sayin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:21 PM   #10
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a tech, Iíve seen more valves fail than the water pumpÖ..just sayin.
Understood, I haven't bothered to clean the diaphragm after installing the check valve on the intake side of the pump. I should probably install a strainer prior to the pump and clean the diaphragm again.

I do filter the water before it hits that valve assembly, could that be the reason I haven't had any issues with the selector valve?

When I built the replacement because my initial thought was that the valve assembly had failed, that was a challenge to make it small enough to fit into that area. Once I found out the back feed was from something else, I put the original back and it is still functioning fine nearly three years later.
All off this Christmas week on the beach.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:07 AM   #11
cyclist

Fresh Water Tank Filling On City Water

I had the same problem. Took it to dealer but they could not duplicate. Continued research and found one solution. If you open a faucet with out turning on pump, it creates an air bubble and does not allow the check valve to close. If that happens open all the faucets then turn on the pump. Worked fro me and never had the problem again.
cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:40 AM   #12
wrvond

My fresh water tank was back filling from city water. I took the pump apart and found the diaphragm had failed - it's been a couple years but as I recall the edge of the diaphragm had a crease in it and wouldn't seal completely. I tried to repair it but that didn't work. Shur-Flo sent me a new pump under warranty and that resolved the issue.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 03:51 PM   #13
METCO

City water filling freshwater tank

I had an RV repair company visit my camper and diagnose it. They claim they've seen this before from this pump and tell me they ordered a replacement pump. I suppose I'll need some pretty good luck sending the extended warrantee the bill??? LOL we'll see if it's the cure. It should be fixed by next week.
METCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 04:25 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by METCO View Post
I had an RV repair company visit my camper and diagnose it. They claim they've seen this before from this pump and tell me they ordered a replacement pump. I suppose I'll need some pretty good luck sending the extended warrantee the bill??? LOL we'll see if it's the cure. It should be fixed by next week.

Hopefully you made the cursory call for "prior approval". If you involve them they are usually pretty cooperative (at least mine has been) but just "do stuff" and send them a bill.....all bets are off.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water