Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2024, 12:28 PM   #21
Kzneft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The biggest issue with that is that you are saying to use your batteries to power an inverter, to power your camper, which by default powers the converter to charge your batteries. That method is a grossly inefficient use of your batteries.

It's like using a battery to power an electric motor connected to a generator coil that charges the battery. There is no such thing as self-perpetuating energy, each step adds inefficiency and consumes power, leaving less energy for your intended use.
When plugged into shore power, mine does not charge the batteries. Problem solved.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:07 PM   #22
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
When plugged into shore power, mine does not charge the batteries. Problem solved.
That's all well and good, but for the rest of the world with unaltered and otherwise properly functioning electrical systems, the batteries are charged from the converter when plugged into shore power. If yours was different, perhaps that should have been shared?
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:03 PM   #23
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
You can do what I do and make it simple. When I had just two 100am lithium, it wasn't quite enough to keep things running, even with my 200watt solar, especially when the furnace kicked on, by morning they were very low. Ended up with four 100am lithium, and that was the trick. Get a 3,000 watt inverter, then you can just run an extension cord from the inverter to the plug on the outside of your trailer that normally you use when at a rv park. This will power all your appliances (not ac). Microwave, TV, etc. I normally don't run my fridge on AC, I always use propane, then the power draw is small. No need to wire the inverter into your system. This is simple and works great. My batteries always stay charged.
what else were you running at night, the furnace in my 40 foot 5th wheel only uses 35AH overnight, I would disagree with the extension cord to use a inverter, just get one with direct AC wiring and power your busbar in your power center
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:05 PM   #24
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The biggest issue with that is that you are saying to use your batteries to power an inverter, to power your camper, which by default powers the converter to charge your batteries. That method is a grossly inefficient use of your batteries.

if that happens the person that installed your inverter doesn't know what they are doing.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:27 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
if that happens the person that installed your inverter doesn't know what they are doing.
If I install an inverter to power the whole coach, I specify installing an inverter/charger and remove the converter from the circuit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:00 AM   #26
Kzneft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
what else were you running at night, the furnace in my 40 foot 5th wheel only uses 35AH overnight, I would disagree with the extension cord to use a inverter, just get one with direct AC wiring and power your busbar in your power center
That would be an even better solution! Maybe one day I will do all that, but for now the cord works well.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:34 PM   #27
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If I install an inverter to power the whole coach, I specify installing an inverter/charger and remove the converter from the circuit.
I am not a big fan of inverter/chargers, something goes wrong you have to replace it all instead of just one part. but I can see it as a benefit of getting rid of the WFCO charger, and to be honest my 5th wheel is the first RV I have had an inverter in.

but to be honest I have been looking at one for the truck camper, only because I found one that I really like the way its Unser defined Li algorithm can be set up. what brands do you usually install when you do an upgrade? I am assuming since you work at an RV place it will be go power, but who knows. that's who I had for my 5th wheel as I didn't know anything about solar or inverters (aside from little ones to run stuff in your car) and I pretty much got them to throw in the deal as part of the sale, but man is that over priced, just like the dragon fly batteries, mind you they are dealer rv add ons so it is to be expected...

I remember I used to be able to drive from my place 20 miniuts down town to go powers where house and buy directly when they were a high quality Canadian company and just starting to break into the rv world.

I just had to put a new ATS in the 5th a couple days ago. now I want to find the raw solenoids so I can rebuild the only one and have a spare. but when I was initially trouble shooting that is when I saw how they had wired the converter to the inlet side of the ATS so the only way the converter can run is when you are plugged into shore power, so easy and simple.

Tags
inverter