Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
aricker243

Snowbirds !!

As a non-retired snowbird my observations so far down in Florida, in several places. If you are planning on non-retired full timing in an RV these are the people you will encounter down in Fla while Rving:

1. cranky old people
2. really cranky old people
3 really cranky rude old people
4 younger, non-retired weird people such as
4a. off gridders that are recluse for what ever reason... lock your doors
4b flat earther home schooling families who's kids are dumb as a bucket of rocks.
4c middle aged women wearing hemp clothes and a Namaste sticker on a toyota prius car camping.
5. rich 500K class A jerks... no pun intended (they like nobody)
6. next tier is the "my rig and TV is bigger then yours"

It's all pretty hilarious the people you meet.... of course you will come across some really nice people too. but snowbirding is not what you will imagine if you are under 50.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
As a non-retired snowbird my observations so far down in Florida, in several places. If you are planning on non-retired full timing in an RV these are the people you will encounter down in Fla while Rving:

1. cranky old people
4b flat earther home schooling families who's kids are dumb as a bucket of rocks.
4c middle aged women wearing hemp clothes and a Namaste sticker on a toyota prius car camping.

It's all pretty hilarious the people you meet.... of course you will come across some really nice people too. but snowbirding is not what you will imagine if you are under 50.
If you look around and everyone you meet is a jerk ...the jerks may not be the problem....you seem to have a problem with people older than you ...sorry for whatever caused you so much anger ... be nice ..life is short..you will be surprised at how much your outlook will change

And be happy you were in Florida. A lot of people have been freezing

By the way. What area are you staying?? Cause I’m heading that way and don’t want to get caught up in all that negativity lol
Old 02-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Or......maybe it's just you???

Sitting here this evening out of the RVs surrounding me I've got (I'll pick 10; 5 up my side and 5 up the other) a mix of folks. Some are over 50 and some are not. 2 motor homes sitting across from me have a total of 5 people in them ALL in their late 20s/early 30s (maybe). What they are doing here I've not figured out. Up 2 trailers are a man and his wife with 2 large dogs. Next to them is a young couple with a teenager and a pregnant lady (all under 50)....and the "old" folks you allude to.

Guess it's funny but we all laugh, visit, talk about "stuff" and our puppies etc. This includes the "old" folks. A pretty happy friendly place, and that has been mirrored in virtually every RV park I've stayed in whether FL or not. Now some, like myself, do not run out and want to play games, have party nights etc. A semi recluse you might say. And, I can be extremely grumpy....but why?

90% of the time it is those "below 50" folks that wheel in, act like they're in Key West, loud, kids/animals run loose, take their ATVs/golf carts and blast across your lot etc. etc. etc. "Those" folks have no idea about being in an RV park, courtesy, minding their business or just IMO, "knowing their place". When "those" folks arrive and start "doing their thing" yep those "old grumpy" people will probably start showing up, maybe even acting a little "uppity" until folks get a grip.

Like I said, quiet, nice, courteous folks...young or old have never been a problem nor has anyone given them a problem that I've seen.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
gearhead

Only issue we had spending all August in 1 RV park in Colorado was with a younger couple, maybe 40's. I guess he fancied himself a music composer. He would put an electric piano on his picnic table and play 3 chords, then 4, then...over and over. Then I said something to him.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 02-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
gearhead

Yes I Googled "Namaste" .
Your turn.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yes I Googled "Namaste" .
Your turn.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, having travelled the world for 70+ years and being from a different part of Michigan than the OP, I'd have to disagree with his assessment... (you can drop the last 7 letters if you want)....

There are two types of people:

1. Those who look for the best in other people (and usually find it)

2. Those who look for the worst in other people (and always find it)

It's often not very difficult to determine what type a person is by what they look for.... Might even work with this assessment (again, the "rules of seven" might apply)....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
jasin1

I don’t know.. I’m 54.. I always respected anyone older then me unless they gave me reason otherwise..I’ve always looked up to people older and more successful then me whether it’s monetary or quality of life that makes them wealthy.
I’ve sought advice and listened to stories and learned A LOT from these people I’ve been fortunate to meet and be friends with..I’m not always happy and cheerful and I can be rude more times then I like to admit ...but I always bounce back and admit when I’m wrong and wake up everyday trying to hit one out of the park.
It really seems like the younger generation these days are growing to resent the older instead of trying to learn from them... I hope something changes for the better of everyone.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post

1. cranky old people

WOW!
Snowbirding near you would a total buzz kill!!
What a horrible attitude!
Glad I'm in Arizona if you're in Florida!
We've been coast to coast border to border several times & 99.9% of the time we've been surrounded by great folks, several of which we are still in contact with, especially in rv parks/resorts.
Now in local/state/national parks is a totally different crowd, most with a younger seemingly entitled crowd with the attitude the campground is theirs during their stay. Kids/dogs screaming/barking running everywhere with no respect for anyone else in the place. This is when the grumpy old man in me appears & I don't mind informing those folks of campground etiquette. If my advice doesn't affect them the park host or ranger usually gets their attention. Some have been required to leave, to which I get one finger waves as they drive away.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=travelin texans;435240]WOW!
Snowbirding near you would a total buzz kill!!
What a horrible attitude!
Glad I'm in Arizona if you're in Florida!
We've been coast to coast border to border several times & 99.9% of the time we've been surrounded by great folks, several of which we are still in contact with, especially in rv parks/resorts.
Now in local/state/national parks is a totally different crowd, most with a younger seemingly entitled crowd with the attitude the campground is theirs during their stay. Kids/dogs screaming/barking running everywhere with no respect for anyone else in the place. This is when the grumpy old man in me appears & I don't mind informing those folks of campground etiquette. If my advice doesn't affect them the park host or ranger usually gets their attention. Some have been required to leave, to which I get one finger waves as they drive away.[/QUOTE]

^^^^The nice, "grumpy old man" in me has had people removed, people voluntarily leave etc. when they just can't comprehend decency.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
gearhead

Some people just don't have much decency in them.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:10 AM   #12
Northofu1

I'm more a "smart as a bucket of rocks" kinda guy

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Old 02-21-2021, 02:45 AM   #13
notanlines

Drew, I believe the two most irritating things about being in Florida for 6 months is first of all your #4 and second of all, yeah, you guessed it, again your #4.
My unsolicited advice to you is to have just a small attitude change, feel happy for the guy/gal with the Prevost (Remember, they probably stayed in school) and have a soft spot in your heart for the woman with the Prius.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 02-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #14
roadglide

I’m east of Tampa gated 55 + housing project from morning to dusk golf carts being driven by folks way into there 80s. It’s social gathering in front of my corner winter home this community is 95 percent michiganders they are very thankful to have there swimming pool, rec center and pool hall. It’s what is is and very good way of life with most every one flying America flag . I have found if your bored in Florida it’s your fault. I have no rv issues this year with it parked in the poll barn but it’s ready to hit the road in June for Arizona white mountains motorcycle rally.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #15
Port List

I'm guessing you do your part to prevent campground overcrowding, OP. Thanks.

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Old 02-22-2021, 05:29 AM   #16
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port List View Post
I'm guessing you do your part to prevent campground overcrowding, OP. Thanks.
Really I can care less and there are no shortages of rv parks that I have seen in Florida. The Michiganders here in 55 plus area are snow birds and most have rv or have had. The bad attitude are from others guessing or assuming A person thinking .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #17
ACJCF2

Snowbirds II

Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
rlh1957

Be yourself

Thank God we live in a country where we can move & travel about freely. Our rights guarantee you’re free to be an arsehole or grumpy.
I find those folks usually stay to themselves other than some annoying habits. I comment my displeasure if it’s extreme then let it go or move on if too extreme.
Most everywhere RV’ers are friendly, helpful and a new friend made. If you want privacy we all socially distance anyway.
But life is gonna be full of arseholes and misfits along the way. I’m sorry if you came to the RV life expecting to be free of weird or bad attitudes and that you left downtown expecting utopia.

Remember we all came to celebrate our freedom and somewhere at sometime there’s someone that disagrees or thinks each of us is wrong.

I may not like or enjoy but I do recognize we each have the freedom to be happy, cordial, grumpy or an arsehole.
If I don’t like someplace I move on.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #19
skmct

As a full-time resident of Florida. I can only say this. Around here we say that Santa brings us the snowbirds and the Easter bunny takes them away. In regard to the op Easter can't come soon enough.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #20
Sonic2467

That's because there's a lack of us Canadian to balance things out.
Just one more winter to endure and my wife and I will be joining the snowbirds if the border opens by the end of 2022.
Closed Thread