Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 06:37 AM   #21
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGreene View Post
Went to a Chrysler dealer yesterday and drove a lightly used 2019 Ram 3500 and a new 2020 Ram 3500. Both srw. Very low optioned trucks, cloth interior, p/w p/l cruise. Both 6.7 diesel. Nice driving trucks. Sticker price on the 19 used is $58000 and the new is $79000. With a low monthly payment of $800 for 96 months. The used needed the trailer tow prep and side steps to make access a bit more reasonable, so that added another $3000 to the price. Different interest rates for the used, new has more incentives and a lower rate. Both were same monthly for same 96 month. May have to rethink my new tow vehicle replacement idea. Trucks are getting harder to find in our area and the used truck pricing for older models is quite high, if you can find one in good condition. The climate and road salt just kills vehicles here. Would rather not have a large loan payment to make when I'm retired. I think I'm going back to the drawing board and rethink this vehicle issue.
Exactly. Trucks are very hard to find in northern ca. I had to order my 2021 GMC Denali back in October and picked it up yesterday. I'm looking for a used 2500 for my business and can't find anything.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
vancouverbrian

I will give you my experience and my thoughts.

First, it is excellent that you are looking to educate yourself about these issues before you make a move.

Second, on here we all have an opinion and it is your job to read them and see what works for you.

I think we all agree that a diesel truck will tow most trailers better. The real question is when is gas a reasonable alternative?

I ordered a 2017 Ford F350 6.2L gas CCLB Lariat with 3.73 gears. I am a now retired local truck driver and being within the numbers is very important to me. I tow a fifth wheel 2018 Cougar 30RLS with a GVWR of 11,000. The truck is rated to tow 12,000lbs and has 4040lbs of payload. While not perfect when towing, I keep the trailer below the GVWR, and tow slow but I only tow south in the fall for a week, and 1 week for the return trip in the spring and the rest of the time it is my daily driver in Arizona. It gets me to where I want to go and I do not drive fast and take my time. It is way below my payload max and and I am below the max towing with a safety margin. I feel safe and am fine when towing but again, i take things slower and do not have the torque to pass and when on hills, I go even slower.

I could have ordered the truck with 4.30 gears and increased the towing rating, but I felt this was good for the application that I desired. I could have ordered the 6.7 diesel for about $10,000 more, but did not want a diesel and by the numbers, I did not need it. But there was a trade-off, and that is decreased torgue to pass others and speed on hills. But most of the time, the truck is not towing, and the diesel is not needed.

If you want the option in the future to change your trailer to a larger/heavier one, then you might want to just get the diesel now and insure yourself for the future.

Also, I could have gotten the 4.30 gears and increased the towing capacity, but, would I feel comfortable towing that increased weight with a gas engine. I decided that the trailer I have was the last one i was going to have and so not an issue to me.

Today, Ford has the new 7.3L engine that increases the towing numbers. I do not know much about this engine.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
RGreene

Was roaming on ebay and saw an 08 f350 lariat, 19000 miles. For the low price of $37000. looked like new. You would never find a truck like that here, even if it was kept inside the whole time.
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #24
Larrystegall

6.0 chevy

Quote:
We have a 2018 cougar fifth wheel. Total weight loaded is 12600 lbs.
Presently tow with an 08 f350 fx4 6.4 diesel 302000km. Looking to replace the diesel with a gas truck. Reason we are thinking gas is the trailer doesn't get towed very often at this time. Sits on a water front lot for the summers here in Nova Scotia. Thinking gas for the possible lower maintenance costs. Hear the ford 6.2 is a bulletproof engine. Not sure on the Ram 6.4 and don't know enough about the GM trucks to make a clear decision on them.
Pros and cons on each one, and a valid point on why you would prefer one over the other. Thanks in advance for the input. Richard.
I just bought a 333mks near Carson City NV, and towed it home to Dallas Tx by way of Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Saguaro, and Big bend. Trailer is 12,500 gross, 11,200 on this trip. No issues anywhere on 2016 Silverado 2500 6.0 gasser 2Wd long bed double cab 4:10 with six speed. Really liked the engine brake, but not as effective as a diesel. Drove downhill in manual tow haul for the bigger hills for more comfort. My max Cargo is just over 3000lbs on the truck
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Was roaming on ebay and saw an 08 f350 lariat, 19000 miles. For the low price of $37000. looked like new. You would never find a truck like that here, even if it was kept inside the whole time.

Gotta be careful when noting eBay prices. Was this an auction with reserve? The 08 had the never popular 6.4L diesel and the price of those things is always a bit lower than the 6.7 or 7.3 diesels. Not knocking the 6.4L but its price is depressed due to its rep whether the rep is deserved or not. I have a 6.0L and it has a somewhat less tarnished rep but they still sell for less than the earlier 7.3L diesel Just takes some money and sweat equity to make either the 6.0 or 6.4 reliable. I am in the carburetor sales/rebuilding business and see carburetors for sale on eBay that are priced insanely all the time and it doesn't mean they actually ever sell.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Trucks are like boats... they sometimes have more damage from just sitting unused. It would be better to have the same vehicle with moderate usage and good maintenance IMO
Old 01-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #27
jimborokz

George, just looked in the mirror...and you're right. Hadn't noticed that before.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:54 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Went to a Chrysler dealer yesterday and drove a lightly used 2019 Ram 3500 and a new 2020 Ram 3500. Both srw. Very low optioned trucks, cloth interior, p/w p/l cruise. Both 6.7 diesel. Nice driving trucks. Sticker price on the 19 used is $58000 and the new is $79000. With a low monthly payment of $800 for 96 months. The used needed the trailer tow prep and side steps to make access a bit more reasonable, so that added another $3000 to the price. Different interest rates for the used, new has more incentives and a lower rate. Both were same monthly for same 96 month. May have to rethink my new tow vehicle replacement idea. Trucks are getting harder to find in our area and the used truck pricing for older models is quite high, if you can find one in good condition. The climate and road salt just kills vehicles here. Would rather not have a large loan payment to make when I'm retired. I think I'm going back to the drawing board and rethink this vehicle issue.
If you are looking at 2019 and 2020 ram 6.7 diesels I would just go for a 2021. Yes I know it’s a lot more expensive but Look up ram cp4 issues. For 2021 Ram switched back to a cp3 injection pump,orI would go backwards and get a 2018 with a cp3. It’s my only regret with buying my new truck. I should have waited a couple of weeks and paid a little more. But I didn’t hav a crystal ball,so I will probably keep mine while it’s in warranty then move on.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Trucks are like boats... they sometimes have more damage from just sitting unused. It would be better to have the same vehicle with moderate usage and good maintenance IMO
I agree 19,000 miles on a 12 year old truck is not really good, our 2001 Ram CTD was 10 years old when we bought it and had 234,000 miles, we sold at 315,000 miles and still running great.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #30
RGreene

Update on tow vehicle. Ended up buying a 2014 ram 2500 outdoorsman diesel. One owner truck with all the service records from the dealer. Well looked after truck, came with rear airbag setup, anderson ultimate hitch, and a top of the line leer truck cap.
Felt comfortable buying this used vehicle. Had our trailer hooked up for a short tow a few weeks ago, felt solid. Soon be time to start camping again.
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 PM   #31
rhagfo

Quote:
Update on tow vehicle. Ended up buying a 2014 ram 2500 outdoorsman diesel. One owner truck with all the service records from the dealer. Well looked after truck, came with rear airbag setup, anderson ultimate hitch, and a top of the line leer truck cap.
Felt comfortable buying this used vehicle. Had our trailer hooked up for a short tow a few weeks ago, felt solid. Soon be time to start camping again.
Congratulations on the new to you truck. We need pictures.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle