Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
SacDan

Brake controller installation

We got a quote from a dealer to install a brake controller in my 2010 F150 that already has the tow package for $300. I decided to search the web for a do it yourself video. Turns out there was already a plug under the dash. I spent $63 for a controller and wiring harness. I had to put in 2 screws under the dash for the mount and plug it in to get it done in under 15 minutes. That was awesome.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

I would have guessed a tow package would include a brake controller already. Good job.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 12-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Labor to install the controller was probably 1 hr minimum at shop rates. The other thing is...all brake controllers are not made the same. What brake controller did you get for $63? You really want a good one. If it's not Tekonsha, and not P3....do some investigating.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
SacDan

I bought this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...rt/C51110.html
$300 is ridiculous. It just had to be plugged in. I'm all for making a buck, but that is OUTRAGEOUS.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
markcee

Have you tested it to ensure it's working? Not positive, but I believe that aside from the physical installation, the brake controller needs to be activated in a Ford. This can be done with the third-party FORSCAN program (using a compatible adapter that plugs into your vehicle's ODBC port) or by the dealer....which is where the extra $$$$ comes in.

Again, not sure about this as it may only pertain to the aftermarket installation of Ford's OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC).
Old 12-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

You didn't say what dealer quoted you $300 and for what brand/ model brake controller. Your statement is like saying I went to a restaurant and they wanted $xxx for a bottle of wine so instead I went to the liquor store and bought one for $7.50. If the restaurant was offering Napoleon era wine that they would open, decant, and pour and you bought a bottle of Wild Turkey instead, than that's not a fair comparison.

Your new brake controller may work OK. It will not interface with the Ford controls like the trailer braking sway control. To each his own but personally I would want something more than a $35 brake controller between my truck and my camper that I'm Dr pending on for my life and safety. FWIW Ford typically put a bag in the glovebox with a fuse in it on the F150's. That fuse needs to be installed in the fuse block before a brake controller will work, aftermarket controllers as well.

Good luck and travel safe.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:51 AM   #7
linux3

You bought a Time Delayed Controller not a Proportional brake controller.
Looking at the etrailer site time delayed are cheaper. I've only ever had proportional controllers, having the braking force proportional to speed makes sense to me.
My current TV has a factory controller, a first for me.
Up until now I've always bought Tekonsha but that's just me.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
Old 12-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
Campermike

I would at least use the tekonsha voyager which is their cheapest proportional controller or was when I bought it. I wouldn't use a time delay controller like you bought.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacDan View Post
We got a quote from a dealer to install a brake controller in my 2010 F150 that already has the tow package for $300. I decided to search the web for a do it yourself video. Turns out there was already a plug under the dash. I spent $63 for a controller and wiring harness. I had to put in 2 screws under the dash for the mount and plug it in to get it done in under 15 minutes. That was awesome.
I don''t mean to pile on, but let's think this through. You have a 10 year old pickup valued at (??? say $25,000). It will have pretty good technology (like brakes) but not the most recent or best. I don't know what you are pulling, but let's say it is a 5 year old travel trailer with a value of (??? say $15,000). Inside the rig, you have (???) 2-4 human lives and say $5,000 of personal property (tools, bikes, supplies, etc.).

One of the single most important safety components in your rig is the brakes and brake controller - being able to safely stop including during an emergency maneuver. Using your number, you saved $235 or 0.005 of the value of your rig, not counting the human lives. Do the work yourself and save some money? You bet! Good job. But for me, I would want the BEST brake controller I could buy, not the CHEAPEST. Don't be offended; this is just my opinion which I am comfortable sharing since you initiated the post. If you are hauling the wife and kids, think about them and that $235 savings and see if it makes sense to you.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 12-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
SacDan

Wow. What a bunch of BS.. You guys really know how to welcome someone to this forum.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
SacDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You didn't say what dealer quoted you $300 and for what brand/ model brake controller. Your statement is like saying I went to a restaurant and they wanted $xxx for a bottle of wine so instead I went to the liquor store and bought one for $7.50. If the restaurant was offering Napoleon era wine that they would open, decant, and pour and you bought a bottle of Wild Turkey instead, than that's not a fair comparison.

Your new brake controller may work OK. It will not interface with the Ford controls like the trailer braking sway control. To each his own but personally I would want something more than a $35 brake controller between my truck and my camper that I'm Dr pending on for my life and safety. FWIW Ford typically put a bag in the glovebox with a fuse in it on the F150's. That fuse needs to be installed in the fuse block before a brake controller will work, aftermarket controllers as well.

Good luck and travel safe.
This is the model they were going to install. Instead of all you guys being so negative and attacking, maybe you could give advice ------------.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
jsb5717

First of all, welcome. I hope you stick around. You'll find these guys, well most of them, aren't grumpy, just direct. One of the primary goals of this forum is to provide sound advise to promote safety. Another is to share experiences and trade ideas.

The advise given is in the spirit of helping you enjoy the experience of towing your rig while also being safe.

Personally, I spent most of my 40 years towing trailers with time-delayed controllers. They worked. But I was always fighting the sensitivity and there was always some jerking in the system. When I found my Tekonsha P2 proportional controller I couldn't believe the difference...no going back for me.

The point some of the above are making is that there is a cost to safely enjoying RVing. A properly rated tow vehicle, good tires on both the TV and the trailer, good brakes, etc, are all part of the safety equation. The controller you bought will likely work just fine but it might not provide the best or easiest experience.

Ignore the direct delivery and listen to the advice. It comes from well-earned experience and you'll be better off for hearing it and eventually participating in sharing your experiences. Good luck and welcome.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
Old 12-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacDan View Post
Wow. What a bunch of BS.. You guys really know how to welcome someone to this forum. You are nothing but a bunch of grumpy, complaining a$$holes. WTF?

OP, your post count is 5 so not sure why folks would still be "welcoming" you to the forum.

Secondly, your attack is unwarranted and violated forum rules. Please read the "Community Rules" in the New Member Check In section. No one is attacking you, complaining about or to you etc.

What you have received is good advice for your own information to act upon or disregard - totally your call. Having read, and re read, every post in this thread, not one warranted your comments in the post above. Folks on this forum figure we're all big boys and can handle conversations that we start without getting derogatory.

There are many, many new RV owners joining the forum all the time. The members try their best to inform anyone of a potential problem that they see; most have btdt and relay that information from experience. Sort of like you trying to replace your tires with Trailer Kings....now THAT will generate a conversation.

Please read the rules as I mentioned and going forward abide by them and realize the comments you receive are there to try to help/inform you. Maybe not sugar coated or phrased the way you want to hear but none meant in a derogatory or belittling manner. Hopefully you will take the advice as it was meant and stick around. There's a lot to learn if one is open to listening.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

Ford did have an option for a OEM integrated brake controller for your year and model. The dealer cost you mentioned is for the OEM controller, installation and computer flash to get it to work with the other vehicle safety systems. The price they quoted is actually not too bad. The best price I ever saw for an OEM controller was about $170 then add an hour or so for installation and the computer update and you are right around $300 unless you have ForScan and do it yourself and save the install cost.

Most vehicles equipped to tow have a plug under the dash and typically a pigtail plug in a bag in the glovebox to wire in a brake controller. It’s important to know that what the dealer quoted and what you chose to do are two different things so you really can’t compare the cost of the two because it isn’t apples to apples.

The controller you installed is “okay”, but is pretty basic and vintage technology. A proportional or gyroscopic brake control is much better and typically costs 2-3 times what a time delay controller does. That all being said, what you have will work, and maybe that’s is all you need or care about?

In the end, all anyone on here wants to do is inform, share their knowledge and in many cases help others avoid costly or dangerous mistakes we all have made and learned from in the hopes that others can be saved from repeating.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 12-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
LewisB

OP: I certainly hope that my post #9 was not the cause for your response #10. If that is the case, then you misconstrue what I wrote - it was all about getting you to think beyond being proud of saving money (post #1) and buying the cheapest controller you could find (post #4).

I see that you have a 240BHWR which, since this is a Keystone forum, is likely either a Passport or Springdale and likely to be bunk house. These units are very popular with younger families and often include kids. From post #1, we know you are towing with a 10 year old F150. Putting that all together, read my last sentence in Post #9.

You are, of course, most welcome to do whatever it is you want to do. I, for one, do not think it is "BS" to challenge each other to think things through including all the future ramifications. If I initiate a post in the forum and the other members question my thinking, I WANT them to challenge me. We are here to share information and experiences, to "up our game" as much as possible - to help each other to be successful and SAFE in what we do. For that, I won't be apologetic.

Hope you stick around - you might teach us something - and you might learn something as well. God bless you,
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 12-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
SacDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
OP: I certainly hope that my post #9 was not the cause for your response #10. If that is the case, then you misconstrue what I wrote - it was all about getting you to think beyond being proud of saving money (post #1) and buying the cheapest controller you could find (post #4).

I see that you have a 240BHWR which, since this is a Keystone forum, is likely either a Passport or Springdale and likely to be bunk house. These units are very popular with younger families and often include kids. From post #1, we know you are towing with a 10 year old F150. Putting that all together, read my last sentence in Post #9.

You are, of course, most welcome to do whatever it is you want to do. I, for one, do not think it is "BS" to challenge each other to think things through including all the future ramifications. If I initiate a post in the forum and the other members question my thinking, I WANT them to challenge me. We are here to share information and experiences, to "up our game" as much as possible - to help each other to be successful and SAFE in what we do. For that, I won't be apologetic.

Hope you stick around - you might teach us something - and you might learn something as well. God bless you,
My 10 year old truck only has 50K miles on it and is in great condition. Putting down my truck and talking crap is completely out of line. I see this forum has a few people who think they are above everyone else and like to flame people. I have been using forums longer than everyone in here. Usually this kind of crap is from the young punks.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #17
Vinnie

Hey c'mon man, you're giving Sacramento a bad name. Back up and try a touch of humility. That sourdough clown is a senior member that's as good as Mod/Admin, far as I'm concerned. You come on here bragging about how super cool you are and how dealer is just trying to rip you off, but with no details, and when the details are given and not everyone thinks you're as super cool as you do, you spin off. I get it, is was a bit touchy before I left Sac for greener pastures, but try to realize who your friends are before you go around punching them in the face.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
NH_Bulldog

This is pretty entertaining
Old 12-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #19
SacDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Hey c'mon man, you're giving Sacramento a bad name. Back up and try a touch of humility. That sourdough clown is a senior member that's as good as Mod/Admin, far as I'm concerned. You come on here bragging about how super cool you are and how dealer is just trying to rip you off, but with no details, and when the details are given and not everyone thinks you're as super cool as you do, you spin off. I get it, is was a bit touchy before I left Sac for greener pastures, but try to realize who your friends are before you go around punching them in the face.
I didn't say anything about me being super cool. The dealer DID try to rip me off and I gave plenty of details. Vinnie
Old 12-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread is definitley "off the rails"... Before the train crashes, thread closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread