Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #41
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby52 View Post
Absolutely gorgeous Shelties! The sable is just like our Riley, we also have a mahogany sable & white - Sadie. We never leave home without them, they would not allow it. If I ask if they want to go camping - they run out to the trailer and stand at the door and bark (they are very vocal) They've got to be the sweetest and most devoted dogs I've ever owned - and boy do they like to herd....
Hope those are the dirty dishes??
Otherwise if invited to eat at your place I'll bring my own plates & utensils!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Otherwise if invited to eat at your place I'll bring my own plates & utensils!!!
Uh, yes, we had a Sheltie and a dishwasher but the two never cohabitated a space. The only "dish" any dog in our has has access to is made of paper and next stop is the trash can.

That said, our little Sheltie was a great dog. When our first grandson was just toddling he would heard him away from the basement steps (even though the door was closed). It was something to watch. Had the Sheltie and a rescued Brittany and a rescued Cocker Spaniel at one time. The Sheltie and Cocker died 14 days apart. Then 2 Brittanies that died 50 days apart. Currently we have an 8 yr old Brittany Spaniel and we'll stay single dog owners from now on.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #43
Gumby52

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Danny - they were only dirty going into the dishwasher - as you can see we save a lot on Cascade. (interestingly dishwasher and dear wife use the same acronym - not going any further with that one)

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #44
rodgebone

Quote:
(interestingly dishwasher and dear wife use the same acronym - not going any further with that one)
A wise man once said: nothing
Old 12-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
(interestingly dishwasher and dear wife use the same acronym - not going any further with that one)

Gumby holy cow! Hope DW (either one?) doesn't read what you post! Can you hear it? That "bom bom, bom bom, bom bom" from Jaws?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #46
Laredo Tugger

This being what it is, a forum, other perspectives should be welcomed and expected.
While I applaud all who have responded for their dedication to their "companion (s)", I am one who choses not to have a pet(s). I have had many in the past and sometimes would love to have a dog to jog on the beach with, but I have chosen not to include a critter in my inventory. I enjoy the ability to pick up and move without the decision or logistics regarding the needs of a pet.
Having said this I can assure you that I will not be the one at the campground that has a dog tied up that wants to pick a fight and barks at other dogs that walk by, or leaves a "landmine" on another campsite for someone to step in or (the real "pet-peeve", pun intended) one that brings Fido camping only to leave him in a trailer all day (or night, or both) barking and upset about being left alone in a strange box in a strange place. Not very responsible pet ownership and I have seen it many times. Even considered cutting the trailer screen to insert small pieces of Ex-lax for Fido to nibble on, just a thought at this time folks, never done it.
Anyway those of you that have your pets a great people and your "companions" are lucky to have you. I know most on this forum do not allow the above mentioned behavior in their plans, but there are those that do.

Enjoy your pets,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Unfortunately I see them all the time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:00 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Too many people buy a dog for all wrong reasons. You have to understand the breed and what their needs are. Buy the wrong dog and both of you will be unhappy. What gets unerverving to me more than an untrained dog is what I call "feral children". The kids who haven't been taught to respect others and cut through campsites, throw baseballs next to the camper, etc. Like the abandoned dog owners it seems like their parents are never around.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #49
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
This being what it is, a forum, other perspectives should be welcomed and expected.
While I applaud all who have responded for their dedication to their "companion (s)", I am one who choses not to have a pet(s). I have had many in the past and sometimes would love to have a dog to jog on the beach with, but I have chosen not to include a critter in my inventory. I enjoy the ability to pick up and move without the decision or logistics regarding the needs of a pet.
Having said this I can assure you that I will not be the one at the campground that has a dog tied up that wants to pick a fight and barks at other dogs that walk by, or leaves a "landmine" on another campsite for someone to step in or (the real "pet-peeve", pun intended) one that brings Fido camping only to leave him in a trailer all day (or night, or both) barking and upset about being left alone in a strange box in a strange place. Not very responsible pet ownership and I have seen it many times. Even considered cutting the trailer screen to insert small pieces of Ex-lax for Fido to nibble on, just a thought at this time folks, never done it.
Anyway those of you that have your pets a great people and your "companions" are lucky to have you. I know most on this forum do not allow the above mentioned behavior in their plans, but there are those that do.

Enjoy your pets,
RMc
The ability to pick up and go where ever without having to consider a pet was something I enjoyed. I understand exactly your comments. When our (DW's) dog came to our home under different then normal circumstances, I was beside myself over the idea of having a dog. Needless to say, it's much different for me now. Our companion never learned to bark. She only makes little noises when she wants something. Not even whines. We know she can bark (that she has vocal cords or whatever they would be called for a K9) because she has occasionally barked when sleeping and dreaming, funny thing. First time is happened we were shocked! So we're very lucky. Now, we know she is only here for short while given her disabilities due to over breeding, with that I feel, at this point, that we would not get another after she is gone. We are spoiled with her simple needs and quiet demeanor. At that point, we'll be able to do the things again that we can't now. But we don't miss those times as she fills our days for now.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #50
Cjblodgett

Hi all, We started in a class C and found it easy to travel with cats. Now that we have a travel trailer, I am wondering how others, who have cats, travel long distance with cats. We were using cat carriers and carrying them in the tow vehicle. We are wanting to give them space to eat and poop when they need to, but can't find a suitable solution. Any ideas?
Cjblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjblodgett View Post
Hi all, We started in a class C and found it easy to travel with cats. Now that we have a travel trailer, I am wondering how others, who have cats, travel long distance with cats. We were using cat carriers and carrying them in the tow vehicle. We are wanting to give them space to eat and poop when they need to, but can't find a suitable solution. Any ideas?
It would help if shared what tt you have. Folks could then look at the floor plan or someone with a similar model may chime in.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #52
Cjblodgett

Traveling with cats

We travel towing a 2521Passport travel trailer with our 2008 Toyota Tundra. We have gone places locally, so the cats we travel with are in kennels in the back seat of the truck. They are happy campers when we are set up with a pet door going to an outside storage where the cat box is.

When traveling long distances, as we plan to do, we are not sure how happy the cats will be in a cage for long periods. If you travel with cats, do you carry them in the truck or in the trailer so they have access to a box and food?

Cj Blodgett
2521RL Passport
2008 Tundra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_184433-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	31193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200630_172123.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	31195  
Old 12-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #53
gearhead

I started feeding 2 very young feral tomcats that someone dumped a few months ago. Our cleaning lady loves them and named them Tom & Jerry, of course. Jerry probably won't make it, I've seen him 3 blocks down the street. Tom hangs close to wherever I feed them. Mom used to keep a couple cats around, said they keep the snake population down. So far they have left 4 immature snakes on the back porch. I guess I'll keep feeding them. No travels and no inside anything anytime for them though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't travel with cats loose in a trailer without knowing how they will react first. Cats when stressed tend to claw things like furniture and wood door frames and ultimate a lot. Maybe put them in the trailer in a crate first for a short drive and see how they do.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #55
Vinnie

We have five, and Mama wants to travel with all of them. The plan is to use soft carriers in the cab of our truck, which may get crowded with the two kids in the back as well. When the boys start whining they want to stop (which is often), we'll carry the cats into the trailer and let them roam, potty, stretch, scratch, then herd 'em back into the carriers after 20 minutes or so and head back down the road. I'm hoping they get used to the road, cuz right now, on short trips, they're pretty darn loud!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #56
notanlines

Vinnie, I can tell you this: If I was stuck in the back seat of your truck with five cats in a cage I'd want to stop often also! Mainly to let me ride in the bed of the truck instead!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #57
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Vinnie, I can tell you this: If I was stuck in the back seat of your truck with five cats in a cage I'd want to stop often also! Mainly to let me ride in the bed of the truck instead!
Ain't that the truth.
I don't want to go down that road again about people and pets.
So I won't.
Is that a metaphor or a simile? It's been a long road.
So to speak.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #58
DeniseJ

We have 3 cats and yes it's difficult to load them up into the truck, they hate it. When traveling we make sure that we only do 5 hrs. per day, and it helps, but then we have to reload them the next day. I really don't like that. If I knew when we bought our 5th wheel (last year)
we would have opted for a coach of some sort. There's no easy answer unfortunately.
DeniseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #59
gearhead

My favorite pic of my family and dog..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gill family 036.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	31202  
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #60
Cjblodgett

Traveling with cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I wouldn't travel with cats loose in a trailer without knowing how they will react first. Cats when stressed tend to claw things like furniture and wood door frames and ultimate a lot. Maybe put them in the trailer in a crate first for a short drive and see how they do.
One of the cats that own me, likes to travel. When he sees an open cat kennel, he will run into it. He is pretty much "bomb proofed". The other cat, who is also owned by the first, we are not to sure of. He is getting use to rides in the truck and loves it in the TT when we stop. They are older and sleep mostly unless we want to sleep.

I do not even know what it would be like to travel in the trailer as it goes down the road, with starts and stops, and turns, and things. I never ever had them loose in the class c, I owned. However, the class c was easier to let them out when we stopped. The one trip where I put the cat in a huge dog kennel with food and sandbox in the overhead bed area was easy but the ride was horribly noisy and bumpy. I thought that I had damaged my poor kitty. But no, he still is as easy-going as ever.

Thanks for the comments.

CjBlodgett
2020 Passport 2521RL towed using a 2008 Toyota Tundra