Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #21
jimborokz

F350 SB, 2018 Montana 3731FL. went with the B&W Companion because it was rated so highly and it's just one brute of a hitch. All that being said, and I do love the hitch, I have not had to use the slider yet in 3 yrs. The way the nose is designed and the pin box is set up, there is very little risk of cab contact. Full disclosure, I have not made a 90 deg. jack knife maneuver with it. The hitch, however does weigh a ton, (well actually only 275 lbs.) so I have to use an engine lift to get it our of the truck. I would love to just pick up 35lbs or so instead. I believe the design of the Anderson moves the 5er back a couple inches also to improve clearance and I have not read of anyone hitting the cab on a short box. If I was starting from scratch again I would likely go for the Anderson.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
Jacko

I bought my first truck 2019 Ram 3500 SRW and put in an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I went with a 3500 because after I looked at the payload capacity of the 2500, I knew it would never work, the unloaded hitch pin weight was already over what the yellow sticker says on the drivers door for payload. The Anderson is so easy to hook up and no noise from anything in the bed of the truck.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #23
jeepjrn

Reese 16k

Looks like Anderson might be the clear winner here but I personally have a Reese 16K solely because that’s what the dealer installed when I purchased my first 5th wheel 11 years ago. I actually just removed it from my previous Chevy 2500HD and installed it on my new 2019 Chevy HD 3500. I’ve towed 3 different 5th wheels with it many many miles for 11 years without any trouble whatsoever. Mine is a slider style but to be perfectly honest, I’ve never used the slider and I have a standard bed, not the long bed. It might not be the best or most expensive hitch but it’s certainly served me very well!
jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #24
travelin texans

Had the 18k B&W Companion hitch for 6 years fulltiming, worked great, great customer service if needed, easily hitch/unhitch at any angle, would definitely recommend it.
If I had a short bed truck I'd have to seriously look at the Reese Goosebox, the only ball type hitch approved by Lippert to not void warranties.
IMHO & having no experience with them, I just can't wrap my head around an aluminum pyramid weighing 35 lbs safely holding up to 3-4k lbs hammering down on it constantly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #25
W5WI

I had a "turn-over" ball that I used with my 5er. The extension that fits on the 5er was too short so I had to be very careful turning.

I went with an Anderson and I haven't looked back! It works well and when I have to remove it, it's light!

BTW, lots of discussion on towing weights. I'm on my third F-250 diesel 4-door truck. I tow a 36 ft MKS Cougar. I've towed it coast to coast with no problems.
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Asking which hitch would be recommended is like asking everyone's favorite flavor ice cream. Most will tell you that the one they own is peachy keeeeeen! Doubt there are many owners that will say "I bought a stinky ol' hitch that really is bad" as most never have an issue with their hitch. I personally would look for a used hitch on CL and take into account the short bed nature of your truck for reasons already covered in this thread. BTW: I use an Andersen Ultimate because it is now on my 3rd 5ver and paid for and it makes my clunker look sporty.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #27
Jcholt7379

We have a bed cover to hide the Anderson. We love the ability to ignore it and can put stuff around it.
Thanks for the info!
Jcholt7379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #28
Jcholt7379

I was inquiring about ”air bags/lifts”
Old 06-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #29
Frank G

Did any of you notice you lost "Lisa101004" 16 days ago, maybe it was the approach. Could be a lot of things, but no one tried to engage her before throwing there truck under the bus. Then came the "I Like my hitch best" posts.

Lisa, if you read this, have some compassion for these guys, they mean well, and they do have a world of knowledge.

To answer the hitch question, I do not like our Chinese "Curt" 16 K slider hitch. I am seriously looking to purchase a Anderson Hitch for the common rails in our short bed truck.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #30
rbrdriver

I was going to say that she needs to focus on getting a bigger truck first before worrying about what hitch to put in said truck......,.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #31
Jcholt7379

Best Tires for a 5th?
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #32
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Did any of you notice you lost "Lisa101004" 16 days ago, maybe it was the approach. Could be a lot of things, but no one tried to engage her before throwing there truck under the bus. Then came the "I Like my hitch best" posts.

Lisa, if you read this, have some compassion for these guys, they mean well, and they do have a world of knowledge.

To answer the hitch question, I do not like our Chinese "Curt" 16 K slider hitch. I am seriously looking to purchase a Anderson Hitch for the common rails in our short bed truck.
My bet is they are looking for a 350 and an Anderson hitch. Jus guessin.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Frank, before apologizing for and criticizing everyone that posted on this thread you might actually read the original post and I quote: "We would like some recommendations for a fifth wheel hitch. " And, the majority of posts were along that line. How do YOU determine if one is trying to recommend a hitch because they like it and express their beliefs of its positive points or is it because YOU don't like it??

As far as your comment "no one tried to engage her before throwing there truck under the bus" , that's just patently false. Please read my post #2. In addition I guess you didn't read one of the other requests from the OP; "Should we add air bags or anything else to help the suspension?" It may escape you but any request about how to help the suspension on an overloaded truck SHOULD result in a weight observation. Unlike your "observation" there were 2 posts related to the ability of the truck out of the 28 posts prior to yours....and those observations SHOULD have been posted for the enlightenment/welfare of the OP.

Anyway, IMO you are not the arbiter of who can like a particular hitch or how they can express that. If the OP got what they needed (not posting back does not mean they didn't monitor the thread and get a resolution) and also came away with something to think about on the size of their truck (or a new one)....that's good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #34
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Frank, before apologizing for and criticizing everyone that posted on this thread you might actually read the original post and I quote: "We would like some recommendations for a fifth wheel hitch. " And, the majority of posts were along that line. How do YOU determine if one is trying to recommend a hitch because they like it and express their beliefs of its positive points or is it because YOU don't like it??

As far as your comment "no one tried to engage her before throwing there truck under the bus" , that's just patently false. Please read my post #2. In addition I guess you didn't read one of the other requests from the OP; "Should we add air bags or anything else to help the suspension?" It may escape you but any request about how to help the suspension on an overloaded truck SHOULD result in a weight observation. Unlike your "observation" there were 2 posts related to the ability of the truck out of the 28 posts prior to yours....and those observations SHOULD have been posted for the enlightenment/welfare of the OP.

Anyway, IMO you are not the arbiter of who can like a particular hitch or how they can express that. If the OP got what they needed (not posting back does not mean they didn't monitor the thread and get a resolution) and also came away with something to think about on the size of their truck (or a new one)....that's good.
Why would anyone hang around this forum? Under the buss we go.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

"Under the buss we go"? I don't guess I understand that remark if based on my post. Was there something wrong or inaccurate in it? No one was thrown under a bus. I pointed out some errors in your statements and assumptions - that's it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
What bus do you feel anybody was thrown under?

The best part of public forums is the ability of members to post responses based on what they interpret the question to be. “Any and all advice/recommendations” invites A lot of different answers. If you feel like your the one under the bus, you have the right to leave and no longer engage yourself in this site.

There are any number of reasons members don’t return to a thread, so I ask you-do you have specific information that the OP left because the “bus” ran her over?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #37
tomd

I towed a Keystone 269FWRLS 5th wheel with a short bed F250, but found this was at the payload limit of the truck. You really need to run the numbers before selecting truck/trailer combo. I used a Fully automatic, sliding #2700 SuperGlide hitch and had no issues. It is an awesome hitch set up and highly recommend auto slide option so you can on the fly make tight turns if need arises. I sold the truck, and got an F350 long bed, and feel much better about the ratings. Side note: I can sel the sliding auto-sliding hitch removed from the F250 for 1/2 cost because F350 truck was hitch ready for fixed hitch. I can send details if you buy short bed truck.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #38
WestCoastWanderer

Summary

SUMMARY OF THE THREAD

HITCH - Lots of Anderson fans, with lots of reasons why.

TOW VEHICLE - Buy a better truck, or buy a smaller trailer.

and . . . . crickets . . . .
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #39
Bill-2020

Quote:

As I understand it, Curt is all made right here in our wonderful US of A. Where are you getting this "Chinese" knowledge from? Enlighten me please.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
As I understand it, Curt is all made right here in our wonderful US of A. Where are you getting this "Chinese" knowledge from? Enlighten me please.
I know for a fact that Curt hitches are made in China in the province of Eau Claire, Wisconsin! Anyway, wherever they are made it is in NOT-TEXAS!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch