Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #881
Weldon

Not today, but before our trip this past weekend to Desoto Caverns (Alabama)...

Created a lightweight wooden ladder with grip tape on the rungs for my 9-yr old daughter to climb into the top bunk. Connects to top bunk with screw hooks that slightly move to install/remove quickly. Cost $4 for hardware I didn't have (vs. $90 for a metal ladder online). I didn't take a new pic of the finished ladder in the camper, but the pic in the hallway is the finished version.

Installed new double-USB by the kitchen table, and another above the top bunk. The double USB above the top bunk uses the wiring for the light.

Installed MorRyde stairs (STP54-011H) which made a huge difference. I didn't wake the whole family going outside to drink coffee outside early each morning.

Installed shocks below master bed (storage box lid)

A few small items (paper plate dispenser, paper towel holder, spare tire cover, bike rack, etc). Have plans for a few more projects, but for now, that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_223330.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	32239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_131312.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	32240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Bunk USB_2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	32242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201013_061716.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	32243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210211_163741.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	32244  

Name:	20210227_085647.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	32245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack_July 2020.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	32246  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #882
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Not today, but before our trip this past weekend to Desoto Caverns (Alabama)...

Created a lightweight wooden ladder with grip tape on the rungs for my 9-yr old daughter to climb into the top bunk. Connects to top bunk with screw hooks that slightly move to install/remove quickly. Cost $4 for hardware I didn't have (vs. $90 for a metal ladder online). I didn't take a new pic of the finished ladder in the camper, but the pic in the hallway is the finished version.

Installed new double-USB by the kitchen table, and another above the top bunk. The double USB above the top bunk uses the wiring for the light.

Installed MorRyde stairs (STP54-011H) which made a huge difference. I didn't wake the whole family going outside to drink coffee outside early each morning.

Installed shocks below master bed (storage box lid)

A few small items (paper plate dispenser, paper towel holder, spare tire cover, bike rack, etc). Have plans for a few more projects, but for now, that's it.
If that's the factory bumper that bike rack will most likely break the welds on the bumper. There have been many threads on bumper mounted bilke racks causing issues.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #883
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If that's the factory bumper that bike rack will most likely break the welds on the bumper. There have been many threads on bumper mounted bilke racks causing issues.
It's factory. The welds can break with only the weight of 2 kids' bikes on it??? My daughter is 9 and my son is 7. I bought the 4-bike rack but never had the intention of putting 4 on it.

We purchased it in July 2020 and have only used it 3 times...one 8-hr trip (1-way) to Jekyll Island, and a couple of 2-hour trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have never put more than 2 bikes on the rack, and the last couple of trips the kids didn't want to take their bikes with them. I regularly check to make sure it's still sturdy, but would rather not see it creating sparks going down the interstate. People tend to frown upon that.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #884
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It's factory. The welds can break with only the weight of 2 kids' bikes on it??? My daughter is 9 and my son is 7. I bought the 4-bike rack but never had the intention of putting 4 on it.

We purchased it in July 2020 and have only used it 3 times...one 8-hr trip (1-way) to Jekyll Island, and a couple of 2-hour trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have never put more than 2 bikes on the rack, and the last couple of trips the kids didn't want to take their bikes with them. I regularly check to make sure it's still sturdy, but would rather not see it creating sparks going down the interstate. People tend to frown upon that.
It's not the weight of a static bike setting on the rack. It's the bouncing that happens while going down the road. Any trailer will move up and down where it's hitched to the truck. That action gets amplified at the back end of the trailer as that's the end of the fulcrum point from the axles. Then the bike rack acts as a fulcrum because the load is not centered over the bumper but is levered out behind it. Combine the leverage of the bikes setting away from the bumper combined with the bouncing and a great deal of torsional force can be applied to that thin metal.

I'd urge you to have someone follow you and video the bikes while you travel at speed down our lovely highways. I think you will be amazed at how much it bounces, twists, and jumps going down the road. Do a search on bike racks and there are several posts on the subject. Some of those threads have photos of broken welds and the bumper tube peeling away from the frame.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #885
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's not the weight of a static bike setting on the rack. It's the bouncing that happens while going down the road. Any trailer will move up and down where it's hitched to the truck. That action gets amplified at the back end of the trailer as that's the end of the fulcrum point from the axles. Then the bike rack acts as a fulcrum because the load is not centered over the bumper but is levered out behind it. Combine the leverage of the bikes setting away from the bumper combined with the bouncing and a great deal of torsional force can be applied to that thin metal.

I'd urge you to have someone follow you and video the bikes while you travel at speed down our lovely highways. I think you will be amazed at how much it bounces, twists, and jumps going down the road. Do a search on bike racks and there are several posts on the subject. Some of those threads have photos of broken welds and the bumper tube peeling away from the frame.
Good to know. I appreciate the heads-up, and I'll take your suggestion about video taping while traveling down the highway.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #886
Northofu1

I watched the snow melt away from the underbelly, I can see the light.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #887
Kojac

Replaced both slide gearboxes that stopped working at the same time! Took about 4 hours for both slides, when I opened the old gearboxes the teeth were worn down and broken, trailer is only 5 years old.
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #888
travelin texans

Quote:
Good to know. I appreciate the heads-up, and I'll take your suggestion about video taping while traveling down the highway.
Typically those bumpers were deigned for 1 purpose, to hold your sewer hose, more weight than that is usually too much. Quite honestly they aren't worth it to carry your sewer hose, in a couple months it'll be rusted inside rubbing holes in the hose.
Yours already has a 50-60lb spare attached to it so adding another 50-60+ lbs to the flimsy tin can factory bumper is a recipe for loosing a spare & a couple bikes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #889
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Typically those bumpers were deigned for 1 purpose, to hold your sewer hose, more weight than that is usually too much. Quite honestly they aren't worth it to carry your sewer hose, in a couple months it'll be rusted inside rubbing holes in the hose.
Yours already has a 50-60lb spare attached to it so adding another 50-60+ lbs to the flimsy tin can factory bumper is a recipe for loosing a spare & a couple bikes.
So, after careful consideration (for the past 30 seconds), anyone in the market for a gently used bumper-mounted 4-bike rack?????
Old 03-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #890
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
So, after careful consideration (for the past 30 seconds), anyone in the market for a gently used bumper-mounted 4-bike rack?????
Nope, I found three on the side of the road with mangled bikes on them last summer and still have all of them behind the pole barn. Around here, I can't even "dump them" on Craig's List"....

PS, we only towed the trailer about 1000 miles last year, so very limited "rack hunting" through the entire season...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #891
jasin1

Quote:

I just purchased a swagman trailhead (fifth wheel approved) reciever bike rack for my fiver...first trip and the arms bent because of the weight of the bikes bouncing...it’s a four bike rack with only two bikes on it ..I’m sending it back...really surprised me how much movement goes on at the back of the trailer
Old 03-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #892
Bill-2020

Quote:

I installed the same MorRyde steps (except a 3 step model) on our Passport, one of the best, if not the best, modification to date. Left the factory fold-in steps installed and we use those when were not camping or at rest stops. Good Choice!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #893
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I just purchased a swagman trailhead (fifth wheel approved) reciever bike rack for my fiver...first trip and the arms bent because of the weight of the bikes bouncing...it’s a four bike rack with only two bikes on it ..I’m sending it back...really surprised me how much movement goes on at the back of the trailer
I'll check into returning the rack, but doubt that will pan out for me. Without anything "wrong" with it, I doubt it can return it. But it's worth checking into. I will probably post the rack on local Craigslist. It's been used only 2-3 times. I also need to post the Curt trailer hitch and wiring harness from my wife's Journey on local CL as well. We only used it once to pull the PUP before I bought my truck. Both are in good condition, and with camping season approaching, someone could be interested.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #894
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I installed the same MorRyde steps (except a 3 step model) on our Passport, one of the best, if not the best, modification to date. Left the factory fold-in steps installed and we use those when were not camping or at rest stops. Good Choice!
Definitely agree. I didn't think I would be excited about new steps for the TT, and am really surprised at how much of a difference they make. I looked into the model that folds up into the door, but our screen has a shock at the bottom. Also, our neighbors at our covered storage space sometimes park too close, and there are center poles as well, which could make it difficult or impossible to lower the steps. I really like the quick-connect option. They literally took 3 mins to "install." Most importantly, I got thumbs up from the Mrs. and the little ones. I also left the original steps alone.

Last year at Jekyll, it was raining at my son slipped and fell using the OEM steps while going into the TT, and the next day, my wife did the same coming out. I'm glad I upgraded to this set so no one has to lean way back just to open the door, and there isn't a 20" drop from the single step to the ground.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #895
Chrispl36

On a recent trip with my cougar I noticed the panels under my bed came lose. After further review my lawn chair shifted in the outside storage and the staples used to hold the panelling just are not strong enough. I removed the bed frame and reinstalled the panels. To prevent future failures I added additional panels to the inside of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210307_155229995.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	32341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210307_155214231.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	32342  
Chrispl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #896
Bandit12

Since my truck was in the shop after our last trip for some body work and they had to remove the rear bumper and bed, I hooked the truck to the trailer electrical and verified all the lights and brakes work as advertised. Next, I added some seal lube to the toilet bowl for that seal. Put a few supplies back in for our first trip in about a month. Unboxed the teak shower mat I purchased last month and was excited to see if it fit. It does but it's going back. One of the slats you stand on is split right at one of the attaching screw locations. For what I paid for it, I'm getting it replaced. I'm off work next weekend but we need to go out of town for Saturday. I might be able to get a few things on my to do list taken care of on Sunday but I think most of it will have to wait until the 27th, one week before our scheduled trip. Hopefully I'll have my truck repaired and back in my possession by then. I'm taking it to the dealer on the 16th to see if I can get them to fix an oil leak under the factory warranty. From what I understand in order to effect this particular repair, the cab has to be lifted off the chassis. We'll see what the dealer says when I get there.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #897
ADQ K9

Been a busy crazy winter for me, Shoveled 2+ feet of snow off the Tumbleweed. The roof looked good I was worried more about the tires and suspension. which seem to be good from the outside Will inspect more when it comes time to pull it out next month.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #898
MN-Clark

Replaced original TK tires with GY Endurance tires. Removed, cleaned, inspected and repacked all wheel bearings. All bearings and races looked great. The original grease they were packed with looked terrible. Black and runny and about 30% of it was in a near liquid state. Replaced all bearing seals as a matter of course. Found two that were seeping. Grease had not made it to the important drum surfaces yet though. Everything cleaned up real well. Brakes looked great with plenty of material left. Not surprising since we didn't get out last year!

Looking forward to out first trip next month. Not a long one in either distance or time but it will sure be nice to spend some time somewhere besides home. Need to see some different scenery.
MN-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #899
LHaven

App store told me that the inCommand app had been updated, and new firmware was also available for the in-rig unit. Walked out to the RV and tried the OTA feature for the first time, instead of bringing the files in on a thumb drive. Took a while for the files to download, and the unit needed tickling afterward to realize it should be updating, but it finally installed all three files with no surprises. Tested out our touchy furnace to make sure it was unlikely to stand us up during our planned April getaway. It's been a year since we could indulge our wanderlust.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #900
Bandit12

Ask me again tomorrow. Got LOTS of stuff planned for this weekend but I'm waiting until it warms up a bit. It's 7:15 AM and only about 30 degrees outside at the moment. Supposed to get up to about 65-70 today.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote