Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Fishsizzle

Repair/Remodel

I spoke about starting a thread that was with a non-Keystone product. I received the ok as pretty much most RVs are built with similar products and techniques.

Anyway, this is an 2002 Monaco Diplomat. I’ve been bouncing around the idea of another RV as the Alpine is now “home” for awhile. (Whole other story)

I had to jump in this as the short diesel pushers are near impossible to find. This is the shortest Monaco at the time, 35’. It was in Phoenix. I had my bud go look at it. He said it everything worked and looked “solid” on bones. So I bought it and he drove it to his place in Yuma. We drove down this last weekend to get to work and bring it home.

Here are some of the specifics:
ISC 8.3 330hp Cummins
Allison 3000
7.5 Diesel Gen
8 bag Air ride Roadmaster raised rail chassis
Towing capacity is 10k, which for this age and length was a mandatory. Many coaches up till 03 were only 5K as they were built on Freightliner chassis

Couple unique build items:

It has “Hung” wall exterior. The walls are not sandwich laminated between foam. It’s my understanding that the gel coat siding is adhered to the aluminum frame and not glued to luan/foam. There is no delamination on the coach.

It has aluminum rafters, and aluminum roof. I’ll get pics on strip and reseal latter this week. Doing new vents and tv antenna as well.

The slides appear to be all aluminum frame with a small section of luan for the inside/outside. There is a filon like material on the outside. There isn’t any plywood built in the slides. It’s laminated to the luan. It’s not a good design at all. The rear bedroom slide will need some work. There is a company that has a fix and will be contacting them.
The seals are a joke. Must have been before wiper seals. Will be replacing them on both slides.

Now the bad. We got it cheap as the floor is soft, as in gone in the tub area. Ripping it out now and will get pics of the process. It also has a good size scrap down the side that will need filled and painted. And it’s dated in the decor

Follow along and add suggestions/comments. I’m no expert by any means. My bud here in Yuma is a carpenter by trade so he’s helping the the subfloor.

Hope to get a little time to Fish and hit the Desert Bar out of Parker while here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E6E7D68-DC55-4FE1-85F9-3BBE207BD70C.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	32099   Click image for larger version

Name:	35C7D828-17AF-49B2-B322-09C45F6B4004.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	32100   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F2BDA97-DA6C-4299-9912-8F4BC5276EA9.jpeg
Views:	158