Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #21
Nicole

We have a 2018 Keystone Cougar 27rls. The main valves for the black tank and 1st grey tank are easy to get to, but the one for the kitchen sink was a pain like yours. After a season of on the knees, our solution was to add a door on the side of the trailer to allow direct access. Now you can open the door and reach in to get the handle easily.
Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #22
RAC

Simple fix

I have a Sprinter 5th wheel with the same problem. I use one of those manual awning hooks available at Camping World to pull the valve out. Just hook it behind the handle, right next to the stem so you don't break the handle and your good to go. When done dumping, just use the hook to push on the center of the handle to close it. No more crawling!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
I have a Sprinter 5th wheel with the same problem. I use one of those manual awning hooks available at Camping World to pull the valve out. Just hook it behind the handle, right next to the stem so you don't break the handle and your good to go. When done dumping, just use the hook to push on the center of the handle to close it. No more crawling!
If you thread a plastic 12" zip tie through the loop on your awning rod to make a 4" circle, you can loop the zip tie around the Tee handle and it will pull evenly on both sides of the rod, making it less likely to break. Closing the valve is easier too. Once you have the loop over the Tee handle, just leave it hanging under the trailer for the next time you have to dump the tank. When breaking camp slip it off the Tee handle and store it in the rear bumper...

I use a 4' broom handle for mine with the zip tie through a hole. It is easier to grasp to push the valve closed. My hands slip on the awning rod, even with a golf club grip wrapped around the shaft.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #24
BikerRN1

I have a keystone carbon 33 that I had to reach up under... had a handyman friend cut a square out of the side panel. Attached with hinges, I swing up the 'door' and reach straight in to pull the handles. Velcro keeps the door from swinging when going down the road.
BikerRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN1 View Post
I have a keystone carbon 33 that I had to reach up under... had a handyman friend cut a square out of the side panel. Attached with hinges, I swing up the 'door' and reach straight in to pull the handles. Velcro keeps the door from swinging when going down the road.
The "other end of my fifth wheel" has the two dump valves mounted on the frame rail and I had to reach under to access them, similar to your arrangement. My solution was to cut a door in the skirt and install an access door with a a lock. I don't use it for "security purposes" but rather as a "means to keep the door closed". I also used some old coroplast to form a "box to mount between the outrigger plates. It forms a "sort of shelf with ends" and I can toss the extra fittings for the sewer hose in that compartment, rather than in a box in the passthrough storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0628.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	32082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0629.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	32083  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #26
KCougar2015

No labels on the valve pulls

How do I know which of my 3 valve pulls is black, gray & fresh? Model is Cougar x-lite 29RLI 2015.
KCougar2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCougar2015 View Post
How do I know which of my 3 valve pulls is black, gray & fresh? Model is Cougar x-lite 29RLI 2015.
Install clear extension on dump hose at camper drain outlet.
Empty all tanks and close all valves.
Run water in sink (wth stopper out) with water for a few minutes.
Pull drain handles until you see water run thru the clear section of drain. You just found the gray tank.

Repeat process to find black tank by running water thru toilet.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Those 3 pull valves should be 1 black & 2 grey tanks.
The fresh should have a ball type valve or just a cap on a white 1/2" line, possibly a 3" but not likely, sticking through the underneath covering.
There's most likely red & blue lines sticking through the bottom, those are the low point drains used when winterizing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #29
Ibdagriz

Quote:
My 2014 298RE has them as front handle is grey (shower/sink in bathroom) and it shares the 3" outlet with the 2nd handle which is the black tank. Then I have another handle and 3" outlet for the galley tank which requires you to remove the hose and re-attach to the dump to drain it.

Yours may be similar, but the post concerning trying each tank by running water through the system and observing the results.

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #30
LHaven

The paper labels fall off. Some owners get rigs where the factory switched the labels.

On my last rig, I just used some of these (LINK) that I had left over in my home office. You can buy them in pretty much any size or color that suits you. I stuck a "B" and a "G" in the vicinity of the handles after the labels fell off, and they stayed on fine for 15 years until I sold it.

Some owners also report that the factory put black handles on their black pullrods and aluminum handles on the gray pullrods. You can buy either color at almost any RV store for cheap, so if they're where you can easily see them, that's a good method.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #31
Greg58

I’ve found that the black water tank valve will be the one closest to the toilet, once you determine which valve or valves are for gray spray paint the handle.