Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
Swampdollar

Which Weighted Tag should I get?

Can someone explain to me which weight tag capacity should I get? NC does not require weighted tags for RV's, however I will be hauling a 5,000 pound rated trailer. So I'm thinking that if the Gross Weight is the combined weight of the TV and the TT, I only need get a 15,000 pound license?
2021 Cougar 30RLS 5th Wheel
Trenton, NC
Swampdollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #2
campfire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdollar View Post
Can someone explain to me which weight tag capacity should I get? NC does not require weighted tags for RV's, however I will be hauling a 5,000 pound rated trailer. So I'm thinking that if the Gross Weight is the combined weight of the TV and the TT, I only need get a 15,000 pound license?
That will do it for you. 15,000 is right on for NC
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you selected an RV yet? Your signature indicates you are still undecided about which RV to buy. So, the question would be, "Is that 5,000 pound trailer the maximum weight of the RV you intend to buy, or is that the weight of a flatbed trailer that you currently own?"

The reason I ask is that if you register your vehicle and purchase a weight tag based on a 5,000 pound trailer, then if you buy a RV that has a GVW of 7,500 pounds, you'll either need to re-register (added expense) or tow with an inadequate registration...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you selected an RV yet? Your signature indicates you are still undecided about which RV to buy. So, the question would be, "Is that 5,000 pound trailer the maximum weight of the RV you intend to buy, or is that the weight of a flatbed trailer that you currently own?"

The reason I ask is that if you register your vehicle and purchase a weight tag based on a 5,000 pound trailer, then if you buy a RV that has a GVW of 7,500 pounds, you'll either need to re-register (added expense) or tow with an inadequate registration...
N.C. doesn’t require tag weight for a trailer with living quarters. So one could have a 5k or 15k trailer with enough to cover the weight of the TV and not be over weight. (Obviously only from a registered weight perspective)

I started with 15,000 and dropped to 12 when I was told that by DMV and a SHP motorcarrier officer. This covers the weight of my landscape trailer loaded. Saved me around $200 annually.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
N.C. doesn’t require tag weight for a trailer with living quarters. So one could have a 5k or 15k trailer with enough to cover the weight of the TV and not be over weight. (Obviously only from a registered weight perspective)

I started with 15,000 and dropped to 12 when I was told that by DMV and a SHP motorcarrier officer. This covers the weight of my landscape trailer loaded. Saved me around $200 annually.
Good to know... I was looking through the OP's previous posts and he just bought a F250 to tow the trailer he had wanted to buy because the F150 he had was likely too "small for that large of a trailer"... Then, he posted a "trailer weight of 5,000 pounds", obviously light enough to be towed by most any F150, so it raised "red flags" about the need for a bigger truck for a lighter trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Swampdollar

LOL! Sorry for the confusion! I had read the by-laws for NC on not needing weighted tags for RV's so my next question then came... what else will I tow? The only thing I know if is my 5,000# Utility trailer. THANKS FOLKS for the info!
Trenton, NC
Old 01-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Swampdollar

Follow up..

I ended up going with the 16,000 LBS tags, just to be safe.
Trenton, NC

Tags
hitch