RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #161
JRTJH
Site Team

wbdvt,

Let's take your trailer as an example and "lay out two entirely different reports for exactly the same problem"...

Let's begin with the "setup":

You take the trailer to the dealer, they see the front seam was assembled incorrectly during trailer assembly and that there is water damage to the front wall, the front insulation and the floor luan decking is soft in a 6 square foot area around the curbside bedside table/cabinet. The floor damage extends from the bed pedestal to the sidewall. The dealer realizes the repair will be extremely labor intensive, doesn't really want to do the repair and knows that Keystone will not authorize all the costs to repair it. In other words, it's going to cost the dealership if they take on the work.....

First scenario:

The dealership sends a report to Keystone stating the following:

Example 1:
The front cap/roof membrane junction shows evidence of long term leaks and water damage. The front interior wall of the trailer is delaminated, the insulation is saturated with water and the floor is damaged in a 6 sqft area extending from the bed pedestal to the trailer sidewall. There is evidence of DICOR sealant application over the OEM sealant, but when or how that was applied is not reflected in the owner's documentation. We estimate 30 manhours and approximately $600 in parts to repair the trailer.

Example 2:
The front cap/roof membrane junction shows evidence of long term leaks and water damage. The interior wall of the trailer is delaminated, the insulation is saturated with water and the floor is damaged in a 6 sqft area extending from the bed pedestal to the trailer sidewall. Upon careful examination, it is evident that upon assembly, the front cap/roof membrane junction was not properly sealed as the trailer moved down the assembly line. That junction, without the appropriate sealant will not protect the trailer from water intrusion. It is our belief that the trailer was improperly manufactured and no matter how diligent the owner's inspections and repair/resealing of the surface of that joint, water intrusion would still be probable. There is evidence that the owner has inspected and resealed that joint. There is evidence of appropriate repair/resealing in the past. It is our opinion that the defect originated at the factory during trailer assembly and no matter how diligent the owner has been, there is no reasonable expectation that he could have prevented this defect from causing the damage that is present.

We believe that the water intrusion began immediately upon the trailer leaving the assembly line and has been ongoing since then, even though the owner has performed all roof inspections and resealing requirements as recommended in the Owner's Manual. The repair of damage should be authorized by Keystone. We estimate that it will take about 30-35 manhours and approximately $600 to 800 in parts and material. Photos to support our evaluation are included with this request for post-warranty repair. Take particular note of photo marked #3 which clearly shows the area of missing factory sealant.

Consider both dealer reports and make a determination whether you think one would be better received by the factory and why....

What your dealership does "TO" you or "FOR" you can make all the difference in how Keystone reacts to their reports.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #162
Summergirl

JRTJH: you are so right on the mark.
Your dealer is the source if it gets fixed or not.
Lots of reading here has taught me lots on how and when to push.
But still waitimg for our unit to arrive back to the dealer.
Hope the person that picked it up isn’t sleeping in it. Lol

Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #163
DavSki

Danf, I'm preparing to take my 2018 330BHS 200 miles from my property in upstate PA to my selling dealer in Berlin NJ to be inspected for the missing butyl tape on the belly band. There's considerable cost in getting it there since I don't own a truck capable of towing it. I have just one question - was it worth it to you (all things considered) to have the manufacturer "fix" your floor. I'm on the fence because of the cost to transport, the unknown of whether or not they'll agree to repair, and finally having no idea how long they'll have my trailer if they do in fact, agree to repair. Your thoughts appreciated.

Dave
DavSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #164
danf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavSki View Post
Danf, I'm preparing to take my 2018 330BHS 200 miles from my property in upstate PA to my selling dealer in Berlin NJ to be inspected for the missing butyl tape on the belly band. There's considerable cost in getting it there since I don't own a truck capable of towing it. I have just one question - was it worth it to you (all things considered) to have the manufacturer "fix" your floor. I'm on the fence because of the cost to transport, the unknown of whether or not they'll agree to repair, and finally having no idea how long they'll have my trailer if they do in fact, agree to repair. Your thoughts appreciated.

Dave

Given my camper was worthless and unusable prior to replacing the floor, I would say it's worth it to get the floor replaced.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #165
Summergirl

Last update:
Received the trailer back today after 20 weeks of not seeing it.
The floor replacement is great. Looking through out the unit you would never know there was an issue.
When looking closely you can see we’re the wiring has been spliced and water lines. Overall it looks great. The tacked down some trim that wasn’t right from factory as well as replaced the decal in the glass doors that had rubbed.
Overall experience - took them way too long. From the time it was dropped off to return was 20 weeks. No this was not the dealer. Transport arrangements from Canada were horrendous due to COVID-19. Parts coming from the east coast to west coast took forever. The fact the west coast plant isn’t geared for floor replacement as well as natural disasters (forest fires) and COVID did bode for a quick turn around. Originally told 6-8 weeks.
The floor looks great. So far we haven’t been able to test anything out. They did winterized the system including filling the hot water tank with RV anti freeze. Which we have drained and will flush out this week. Will test all appliances this week as well before putting it to bed for the winter. Spring can’t come fast enough.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #166
DavSki

Thank you sir. Finally dropped it at the dealer on December 11. Hoping to hear some feedback by next week. Merry Christmas!

DavSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, floor