Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #21
CWtheMan

State Parks

I don’t think there is a nationwide limit on the length of vehicles on state and national parks. States may have some limitations because older CGs are antiquated.

We have never been habit users of any of the park systems. It’s not because of parking size. It’s because a lot of them do not have adequate utility connections for our traveling habits (FHU). However, we have used some of them and here is a glimpse of their sizes and utilities.

NY State’s Coles creek SP, it had very large sites right on the water. It was an overnighter for us with elect. and portable water available to fill your onboard tank. Nice dump station on the way out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	30950

SC State’s Myrtle Beach, it has winding narrow CG roads and back-in sites. There are great CG amenities including a full service fishing pier. Our site could have held a 45 footer. Mostly water & elect with bath houses conveniently positioned throughout the CG.

Name:	MyrtleBchSP1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	30951

TN State’s Natchez Trace SP has monster sites, oodles of amenities and FHUs including 50 AMPS.

Name:	1 Natchez Trace SP, TN 8 .JPG
Views:	43
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	30952
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

Answer to post #13. Stub Stewart SP. Get a free Oregon State parks guide. When making a reservation there is normally a map showing the sites and lengths etc. In the guide it has numbers and types of hook ups not RV length's that fit. As said Oregon state parks were never made for todays TV and RVs. Some parks have newer camp loops for larger RVs, but they have not really ever had the money to rebuild them for todays RVs. BTW, Oregon has 361 state parks to take care of, many of those are not for RVs, but that may show what they are trying to maintain with limited funds. A great example is Champoeg State park. The dump station needs rebuilt and was closed I think it for 3 years now.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
jaxglide

Appreciate all the information. Looks like we are close to a momentum 349m. It’s almost 39 feet. We just can’t find anything smaller to haul our roadglide without it sitting in the kitchen while traveling. Now the next challenge is the tow vehicle. Don’t really want a dually. The 350srw will be close on payload, just with us, fuel, hitch, and pin. Leave maybe 200 lbs but should need to put anything else in the bed since we have a garage. Will the bike in the back redistribute some of that pin weight ? 1000lb bike.
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

It has been posted that adding 1000 pounds to the garage, changed the pin very little. I don’t know the exact numbers, hopefully someone that does have a TH and a bike will weigh in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post
Appreciate all the information. Looks like we are close to a momentum 349m. It’s almost 39 feet. We just can’t find anything smaller to haul our roadglide without it sitting in the kitchen while traveling. Now the next challenge is the tow vehicle. Don’t really want a dually. The 350srw will be close on payload, just with us, fuel, hitch, and pin. Leave maybe 200 lbs but should need to put anything else in the bed since we have a garage. Will the bike in the back redistribute some of that pin weight ? 1000lb bike.
Do your self a favor and buy ad DRW to tow/carry that 17,000# TH, why get a TV that might be OK, when you can get one that will be fine.

Me, DW and DD drive DRW one tons.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #26
roadglide

Toy hauler just that. I have a 10 foot garage , Definitely living in the kitchen and watching TV in front of us I can easily access the bathroom with the slides in for a quick release. I have another trip coming up with both toys to Arizona the bed room can be very comfortable with the right Bed up front. IMO there made to use Looking for the most twisty and interesting roads in America. I have had 4 road glides since 2000 I wouldn’t trade it for any bike on the road . The toy hauler you’re looking at is 300 pounds heavier on the tongue and only 500 lbs more GVW . Fully loaded with a Z force and Harley and water 96 gallons diesel I am 280 pounds under gvwr axles and tires. I did not even consider a DRW when I bought my Duramax
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Answer to post #13. Stub Stewart SP. Get a free Oregon State parks guide. When making a reservation there is normally a map showing the sites and lengths etc. In the guide it has numbers and types of hook ups not RV length's that fit. As said Oregon state parks were never made for todays TV and RVs. Some parks have newer camp loops for larger RVs, but they have not really ever had the money to rebuild them for todays RVs. BTW, Oregon has 361 state parks to take care of, many of those are not for RVs, but that may show what they are trying to maintain with limited funds. A great example is Champoeg State park. The dump station needs rebuilt and was closed I think it for 3 years now.
Ken,

Ken, something to consider, until Covid, OPRD was likely one of the best funded State Parks systems in the country. They also didn't depend on Taxpayer dollars either. Their three major funding sources are User Fees, Lottery Dollars, and 40% of RV registration fees.

Rebuilding dump stations have their challenges, they likely need to design either a large enough septic system with drain field, or may be required to build a small sewage treatment facility. That creates two issues design and cost to complete, then there is also permits, which may be hard to get and dictate a lot of design and cost.
I also noticed while out for a drive on the coast that the dump station at Cape Lookout is closed.

This year has not been kind to OPRD, they had four camping parks affected (damaged) by the wildfires this season, this will likely effect how funding is distributed.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote