Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
doninbcs

fuse for carbon monoxide detector

Mine runs the battery down
doninbcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninbcs View Post
My carbon Monoxide detector runs on a 9 volt battery..

My Propane detector is hard wired into the 12 volt system and should be attached to the 30 amp auto reset breaker in the battery compartment..

Also the radio pulls a little even while off..

The best way to avoid the parasitic drain is to disconnect the negative cable while in storage..

I am always hooked to shore power in storage and so never worry about it..
Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
travelin texans

My LP/CO detector was hardwired to the battery (smoke alarm had a 9 volt battery) if it was fused I don't know where it was as I never had it blow. I did replace the detector that went bad after about 4 years, a year shy of being 5 years old from the date on the back.
As to running the batteries down that's normal as other than that detector there are other items that have a parasitic drain on the batteries.
Your best option is disconnect the negative cable from the battery where it goes directly to ground, this insures no more drains. Or add a true disconnect device to that cable or if it not going to be used for extended storage remove the batteries & place them in the garage with a battery tender attached, be sure to check the water levels regularly (this should be done whether being stored or in use) topping off with distilled water.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My LP/CO detector was hardwired to the battery (smoke alarm had a 9 volt battery) if it was fused I don't know where it was as I never had it blow. I did replace the detector that went bad after about 4 years, a year shy of being 5 years old from the date on the back.
As to running the batteries down that's normal as other than that detector there are other items that have a parasitic drain on the batteries.
Your best option is disconnect the negative cable from the battery where it goes directly to ground, this insures no more drains. Or add a true disconnect device to that cable.
As a note.. My CO detector is high on the wall in the bedroom.. the LP detector is mounted within a foot of the kitchen stove at floor level. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABOVE pg (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	30988   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1488_2676637_102128686_LI.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	30989  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have a combo LP/CO alarm, they are not fused. As Danny said, install a battery disconnect to eliminate all drain. Factory disconnect is on the positive side, placement of the switch has been a subject of discussion for years.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninbcs View Post

The battery going dead when disconnected with the factory "disconnect" switch turned off was the first thing I fixed on the trailer. I rewired the disconnect switch so that it completely disconnects the battery when it is in storage. My positive cable runs from a terminal fuse on the post to the disconnect switch, everything going to the trailer was connected to the other side of the switch.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse