Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Sarge332

Generator question

I searched other threads and could not find one that would answer my question and the answer I will potentially get from one of ya'll will probably make me feel dumb...but.... so here goes...

I just purchase a 2015 Raptor 332TS. Everything works great so far except outside speakers (don't care right now) and the internal generator start. Is there a magic trick to starting the generator from the inside panel? It starts fine from the exterior switch on the generator and runs perfectly. I just can't figure out the internal starting procedures. Yes I have googled it.... but I'm not good with google and haven't found the procedure. The manual just says start the generator by pushing the switch. Is there a time limit? Is there a sequence?

Lastly... its my first RV and I'm learning as I go. Thanks in advance
Sarge332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I am assuming you have an Onan gen. Is it gasoline powered?

If so press the STOP button and the square light in the switch should blink. If it doesn’t then there is a wiring issue. If it’s a cold start hold the button on STOP for about 3/5 seconds and then press start. I wouldn’t hold it any longer than about 20 seconds. If you can’t hear the gen starter turning over then again your issue is the switch or wiring associated with it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Sarge332

Thanks for the quick response. Yes... it is an Onan 5500. I guess I'll be chasing some wires this weekend. I have done all that you stated and it doesn't do anything. Again... thank you. Much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
LewisB

What Chuck points out is correct. The "Start" switch is actually a rocker switch with "Stop/Prime" being the other half of the rocker. Firmly press down the stop/prime side of this switch for 3-5 seconds. This is called a "prime" cycle by Onan. The light in the switch will blink after 3-5 seconds. If if doesn't seem to work, hold it down longer - say 10 seconds. Then try a start cycle. After 2 or 3 unsuccessful prime/start cycles, you may find the carburetor on the generator is flooded. Wait about 5 minutes and then repeat. If you have recently run the generator and it is still warm, you probably won't need the prime half of the cycle.

Question: is the "stop" function working from inside the trailer? If so, then the Prime function should work as well; they are both on the green wire. If the stop works but the start doesn't cause the generator starter to turn over, chase down the Red wire from the panel to the generator. If the generator starter turns over on "start" and the generator shuts down on "stop" then it may be a fault code or other issue.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #5
Sarge332

Generator question resolved! Disconnected wire behind the panel switch. Works like a charm now.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge332 View Post
Generator question resolved! Disconnected wire behind the panel switch. Works like a charm now.
Which wire did you disconnect? If your 2015 is wired like my 2018:
Blue = Service
Orange = Hours
Brown = Ground
Red = Start
Green = Prime/Stop

By just disconnecting one of the wires, you may lose other critical functions. Not saying that's happened - just be aware that there is more to your generator control panel than just start/stop. I'd be concerned, for example, that if you disconnected the blue wire, there may be some kind of service needed warning signal that was interfering with the start function. That doesn't mean there is a true service warning - could just be a bad signal, but I would want to know.

When it was not working correctly, was the light on the start switch ON THE GENERATOR flashing? If so, there is a trouble code in the system and it's trying to tell you something.

If you don't have one, I'd recommend you get on the Cummins/Onan web site and download an owners manual and service manual for your generator. (I would attach here but the files are too large for the forum to handle.) These generators are REALLY expensive and I'd hate to see you miss something important.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 01-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Brad, I think he meant that there was a wire disconnected when he removed the panel. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
LewisB

LOL hope you are right! Takes me back to English class - was “disconnected” a verb (action taken) or an adjective (description of the noun wire)😁
Old 01-25-2021, 02:23 AM   #9
Sarge332

Lol.... my apologies. I was horrible in English class! I meant that a wire was disconnected from the generator switch when I pulled the panel. It was the brown wire that was disconnected. I works great now.
I really do appreciate everyone’s response. Being a newbie.... I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ that keeps asking dumb questions. But after 26 years in the Army... I learned that the only real dumb question is the one you didn’t ask. (After researching first, of course). Thanks all again

Tags
generator